Why is City line "better" these days?

Over the last couple of years I have taken the express line from Phaya Thai to the airport, on average every 2 weeks without any issues.

Over the last few months something strange is going on with the staff at the station. Every time I go to get an express ticket the staff inform me that "City line better" and try everything they can to avoid me taking the express train.

Last week I went at 10:50 PM to get the 11pm express and they just would not sell me a ticket for the express.

"CIty line better"

"Why?"

"It arrive sooner"

"What time does the city line leave?"

"11:15"

"And the express?"

*long discussion between the staff, lots of face pulling"

"11pm, but city line better"

On other occasions they pretend the express line doesn't exist and only have the city line booth open, even tho the express train is running as normal.

So what's going on? Besides this being Thailand.

Maybe the 11 PM was cancelled? Maybe they cancel the last few trains owing to a historical lack of passengers? Or a lack of rolling stock? I think they are using some Express stock on City schedules, so that may negatively impact Express schedules?

Did you see an Express Train on the far platform? Assuming you took the City Line.

Unrelated, noticed this on the srtet site:

post-9615-0-13564800-1381634082_thumb.jp

Maybe the 11 PM was cancelled? Maybe they cancel the last few trains owing to a historical lack of passengers? Or a lack of rolling stock? I think they are using some Express stock on City schedules, so that may negatively impact Express schedules?

Did you see an Express Train on the far platform? Assuming you took the City Line.

Unrelated, noticed this on the srtet site:

I always take the express train as it has never been cancelled, in my frequent trips. It's just that the station staff have been making up stupid reasons to direct passengers to use the city line and deliberately making it harder to buy an express train token.

Headway is a measurement of the distance or time between vehicles in a transit system.

So the interval time between trains. Believe this keeps them from running into each other?

Sounds like a term from British railroads, so probably as "English" as they come?

I still can't figure out the OP's question though? At first I assumed they were unable to take the Express train, and they were looking for potential reasons. But now it sounds like they've always been able to take the Express train so suspect some sort of communication issue (better = cheaper)? I've never had a problem purchasing a token for the Express train ex-Phaya Thai.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

Headway is a measurement of the distance or time between vehicles in a transit system.

So the interval time between trains. Believe this keeps them from running into each other?

Sounds like a term from British railroads, so probably as "English" as they come?

I still can't figure out the OP's question though? At first I assumed they were unable to take the Express train, and they were looking for potential reasons. But now it sounds like they've always been able to take the Express train so suspect some sort of communication issue (better = cheaper)? I've never had a problem purchasing a token for the Express train ex-Phaya Thai.

Yes I could have made it clearer.

It's not a communication issue, for 2 years I could walk up to the booth and buy an express ticket with no issues.

For the last 2 months there has been a conscious effort to dissuade people from using the express train.

For the last 2 months there has been a conscious effort to dissuade people from using the express train.

OK, but you've still been able to purchase a token and travel on the Express Train as you have for the last two years? Is that correct?

The crux of your issue seems focused on your interaction with the staff over the last two months, is that correct?

I have not encountered any issues purchasing a token for the Express Train at Phaya Thai, or at the Airport.

Given that about 2 sets (of the 9) of rolling stock (5 City & 4 Express) are down due to a shortage of maintenance & spare parts and at least 1 Express set is being used for Cityline services, and that some Express services only have a few to 10 odd pax; then I can only assume that staff are encouraged to dissuade pax from taking some of the late night services where pax numbers are low and to reduce extra kms (ie. a trip and thus cost) on the Express rolling stock.

This is essentially what loma suggested.

However, the OP's post is a tad unclear as you could have stated that you did still take the 11pm Express in your OP and that you have always still been able to take the Express even though staff are apparently dissuading you from doing so..

The last few months have seen the maintenance & spare parts issue become pronounced for the ARL, hence the reduction in morning PT Express services in order to have sets to help the Cityline. Thus, that accords with your perception of a change in the last 2 months if this is the actual reason - it may well be a completely diff issue as perhaps newly recruited staff are just trying to help you by saving you money?

My queries to the OP are;

1) With the 11pm service that you did end up taking, HM pax were on it?

2) "For the last 2 months there has been a conscious effort to dissuade people from using the express train." Do you normally take late night services or at all times of the day and night? Also, does this statement just pertain to PT or have you experienced this at the airport station as well?

3) In the last 2 months did you experience an Express service being cancelled and thus you had no option but to take a Cityline service?

Cheers

BTW, it is good to post these sort of queries/observations in the ARL thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/369458-airport-rail-link-again-sorry/

That way not only can others read about your experiences in the future - and the responses - but you might have glanced through some of the recent pages and discovered that the rolling stock limitation issue has been ongoing and resulted in reduced services.