Your Investment Goals

bocceball1

Don't invest in Thailand !

Silly advice.

The Thai Stock Market - to name just one thing - was the fifth best performer last year, rising over 35%.

Thai bonds are perfectly safe, probably safer even than more respectable nations' sovereign debt.

I currently get 8% per annum yield on a Thai property.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with investing in Thailand at all.

Yes, always buy something after it's just risen 35%. What could go wrong?

Of course Thai bonds are perfectly safe. The T******** skimmers family will watch after your money very well.

Do you get 8% passive yield on your property, or did you just buy yourself a job? If you're not Thai, it's a condo, right? And of course you're sure there's no condo glut and no chance of a major devaluation? And of course you're sure the Thais won't change the rules and suddenly allow you to own only what you live in, and force you into a fire sale? Did you read the recent article here about the government wanting to collect property taxes? Are you covered by that?

How liquid is your property in this market? Sorry I'm a hard ass, but I just lived through the real estate crash in the US and watched friends go bankrupt just one month after telling me how many millions they were "worth." I escaped it through sheer luck, my friend. Sheer luck.

In fact, much of the money I've made was either via hard work and savings, or sheer luck. What was it the man said? "I'd rather be lucky than good?"

Cheers, and no offense meant.

• Like 1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought into Thai stocks years ago - back in 2009 and then they only comprise a fraction of my overall portfolio.

My property is fine. I personally haven't been in it for over two years. We have had the same tenants there in that time and they pay perfectly on time every month. My wife goes to have a look at it every few months and there are no issues.

If it devalues, no problem. We bought it as a property to live in as a bangkok bolt hole for my retirement years hence. I have no intention of selling it.

Farang tink too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

My wife and I have done very well out of real estate, now we are investing in beach front land properties. Buy low sell high . You just need where to find them.

Sounds great .....just where is the beach front land your now investing in? and what do you think is a reasonable price?

12% annual ROI

Interesting.....and my goal is 20% ROI.....

but the real question is ....how do you try to achieve it? are you doing it now in a close to 0% economy?

my financial advisor is looking after it for me so Im not sure what its invested in. but he has assured me 12% a year guaranteed and so far he has delivered . three months running so far.

12% annual ROI

but the real question is ....how do you try to achieve it? are you doing it now in a close to 0% economy?

my financial advisor is looking after it for me so Im not sure what its invested in. but he has assured me 12% a year guaranteed and so far he has delivered . three months running so far.

Ahhhh....well I see you have taken some good advice and went to see ....Bernie Madoff..... do you visit him often?

12% annual ROI

Ahhhh....well I see you have taken some good advice and went to see ....Bernie Madoff..... do you visit him often?

who is bernie madoff?

Google annuity rates UK. Plenty of press articles suggesting a 50000 pot will buy a 3000 annuity.

excerpts only:

The rates for annuities - products which provide an annual retirement income - have dwindled to their lowest level for years, a report says.

The average annual income for a 65-year-old man buying a standard annuity dropped by 11.5% in 2012, financial information service Moneyfacts said.

This was the biggest drop since 1998.

"Annuity rates have fallen by a third in just four years. For people approaching retirement, that is a huge blow to their expectations at a time when it is probably too late for them to do anything about it."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20957314

Your Honour, i rest my case coffee1.gif

Then your case is very weak.

That article merely states that annuity rates in 2012 had fallen. There is no argument about that; it's true. However, rates have increased in 2013.

Instead of posting a link to a generalist article which says nothing about what we are discussing, how about looking at real annuity rates provided by this link.

http://www.hl.co.uk/pensions/annuities/annuity-best-buy-rates

your "real" annuities don't show the attached fineprint, i.e. the published rates in your link are meant to dupe ignorants.

Ayjaydee.....it appears talking to you is liking "talking to the door"......get nowhere fast......BUT be that as it may ....I will try anyway....AGAIN

First off.....this post is about your investment goals....(get that ....your "personal" goals)

Secondly ....the "derivative scandal" really had nothing to do with people's personal investments ...it was a scam for marketing bundled up "D" grade mortgages from one brokerage house to another or to insurance companies (ie...AIG etc)...and yes it eventually got to the personal level by people (like Bernie Madoff) who sold shares in this packages to investors and by the whole scandal bringing to a halt the easy money that was available at the time....ie foreclosures became the norm and the little guy got hurt!

So taking in mind that the derivative scandal was NOT one man's doing but many of the banks and brokerage houses in cohoots.

Google ...."Bernie Madoff"...I'm sure there's quite a bit there and it may be an eye opener for you as you might want look into the "investment adviser" you have that is guaranteeing you 12% (pie in the sky) returns...

Edited by bocceball1

Ayjaydee.....it appears talking to you is liking "talking to the door"......get nowhere fast...

First off.....this post is about your investment goals....(get that ....your "personal" goals)

Secondly ....the "

and I told you what they were.

Ayjaydee.....it appears talking to you is liking "talking to the door"......get nowhere fast...

Secondly ....the "

and I told you what they were.

AND the merry-go-round continues....

Your answer to your goals was ......"12% annual ROI"

And I responded, because such an answer lacks SUBSTANCE, how do you get it?

Your answer:...My "investment adviser" who has guaranteed it and paid me for 3 months so far.....? Good Luck when the payments STOP

I would then ask ....WHO is your investment adviser? What firm does he work for? HOW can he "GUARANTEE" a 12% return in a almost zero percent economy?

I'm sure you have some "conspiracy" theory answer (you seem like the conspiracy theory type)....and that you won't answer my direct questions....

Oh Well

“Speculation is an effort, probably unsuccessful, to turn a little money into a lot. Investment is an effort, which should be successful, to prevent a lot of money from becoming a little.”

My wife and I have done very well out of real estate, now we are investing in beach front land properties. Buy low sell high . You just need where to find them.

Sounds great .....just where is the beach front land your now investing in? and what do you think is a reasonable price?

The land is very very cheap just brought 7 rai on the beach . Will purshase more over the christmas break. Will not tell you the orice on this forum po me

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

your "real" annuities don't show the attached fineprint, i.e. the published rates in your link are meant to dupe ignorants.

LMAO Naam. You're priceless. Even when you're proven wrong, you refuse to accept you're wrong. Twas ever thus.

The conditions of each annuity is clear - index linked or not, age, guaranteed or not etc.

Just for once - just once - accept you might have got something wrong on a financial discussion. It's not a big issue. Those are quoted annuity rates advertisied on HL and on FT.com