Divorce and getting a 50/50 settelment.

banpunket

I wouldn't listen to all the stories of "I heard that" or " a mate of mine...."

Most of those who have gone through it have reported a pretty fair 50/50 split. This, I was reminded is the Thai law.

When I was in court the judge told us to divide our (Thai) assets up between us and show him our 'list'

He said if we couldn't decide - he would do it for us!

Once we showed him the list - he asked if we both agreed. And the job was done.

Her request for my assets gained or tucked away in another country - went in the bin :)

I live in the muak lek area saraburee province.Maybe she will get the lot, but she also has a lot of debt from the farm,That's not a big problem i am just wandering about the visa situation and living in the same house.We have no children to-gether so i can not do anything that way i.e leaving everything to the kid's.It is me that want's the divorce.

First, sorry to hear of your problems. I have several friends, various Western nationalities, who are now divorced from their Thai wives. There was no adultery, or violent arguments, but all centered around money, and spending habits. However, all reached amicable solutions and agreed various splits. All had children so their welfare was a big concern. Try and keep it amicable, if you, can. If not, then in my experience, the courts will treat you fairly.

One thing to watch is the debt you mention. My understanding is outstanding debts incurred in the marriage are treated in the same way as assets i.e. 50/50 split. My Thai S-i-L divorced her Thai husband earlier this year. He has ran up some big debts and now she's having to pay 50% of them.

I am afraid to say your wife will end up getting the lot. This is Thailand !!!

That is complete RUBBISH only those that don't fight for what is rightfully theirs lose everything, if you are married and go through the process you will get at least 50% I hvae seen it many times in fact one of my mates that just got divorced did better than that especially when proving it was he that paid for the house car etc and not her. SHE got a bit of a shock on that one.

Your friend was very lucky. In Thailand it is only the items that were purchased before

you were married that are excluded from the 50/50 split. Also in Thailand the court will also set aside cash for your children.

NB: Your wifes purchases during the marriage are also liable to be split 50/50.

not so fast

there are 5 land titles in Thailand and so its not a simple 50/50 split

if you have bank receipts for the money you transferred into the country then you have a good shot at getting money, property, car, assets back

there's a dozen other things as well

I got a lawyer after I found out my wife had a Thai boyfriend. The lawyer did a good job and had plenty of evidence. We went to court in Korat and I kept everything, 100%....house, car, money everything. She got nothing.

How about giving up your Lawyers name and where he/she office is...please wai.gif

It was more than 10 years ago, but I could probably dig it up somewhere.

Edited:

Use PM, not email or use PM to exchange email address. Publishing your email on a forum can lead to spamming.

Edited by Mario2008
email removed

Dear Rickray .. how did you prove she had a Thai biyfriend in court ??

Hired a private detective for a couple thousand baht. He took photos of them together, his car, apartment where they occasionally shacked up etc. After it was found out, she didn't deny it. In fact, the boyfriend appeared in court with her.

Thanks for your answer. I transferred a million baht into my fiance's account to build a house on land that doesn't even have the required paperwork .. What do you think my chances of getting 50% are ???? zero. ?

I'm not 100% certain, but I thought the law was changed so that you couldn't transfer money to someone explicitly for the purpose of buying land and a house. If this is so, then the money would basically be a gift and gifts do not have to be split in divorce matters.