Rodney Broughton

It is with great sadness I have to report the death of Rod Broughton this morning in hospital near Sakhon Nakhon in N.E. Thailand.

His long term girlfriend, Lat, was at his bedside and had taken good care of him through his recent illness.

Rod lived for many years in Bangrak as was a very well known character around the bars down the strip.

His funeral is being held this afternoon, so no chance for any of his friends to be there with him.

We are hoping to arrange for his ashes to be brought to Samui, a place he loved, and scattered in the sea.

R.I.P. Rod.

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I certainly wish reporting of deaths of anyone, foreign or Thai, could be done in a similar manner to yours. It would be comforting to know that anyone's passing would allow him/her a respectful and respectable end rather than the usual ...

• Like 1

Sorry for the loss of your friend. I certainly wish reporting of deaths of anyone, foreign or Thai, could be done in a similar manner to yours. It would be comforting to know that anyone's passing would allow him/her a respectful and respectable end rather than the usual ...

Thanks, Suradit well said.

Must however now correct some facts.

The funeral was not allowed to take place due to the usual official red tape.

Understandable to an extent, but still invading the grief of those involved, particularly of his Thai girlfriend and family.

Still, let's hope he is able to soon rest peacefully.

• Like 1

I can confirm that Rod's funeral took place this afternoon.

His friends are having a wake to celebrate his life, in the BBC Restaurant where he spent many happy hours whilst living on Samui.

Anyone who knew Rod is welcome to join us for a beer or two around 7 pm onwards this coming Saturday.

sorry to ask too many questions but what Nationality was he. It is just that i am terrible with rememebering names. Normally i reckonize people by face even after knowing them for years.

welcome to Big C's world

RIP anyway

I can confirm that Rod's funeral took place this afternoon.

His friends are having a wake to celebrate his life, in the BBC Restaurant where he spent many happy hours whilst living on Samui.

Anyone who knew Rod is welcome to join us for a beer or two around 7 pm onwards this coming Saturday.

please send my regards to Mark and all present at the BBC for Rod's wake.

Adrian

I was a good mate of Rod's before he left for Koh Samui. The last time I saw him was at his leaving do in his pub, the New Inn, in Guiseley, near Leeds. Needless to say, we all got well and truly hammered, and I've nothing but good memories of him. We had some great times together, especially when he took us on a surprise day-trip to the Isle of Man, where it rained all day and we spent the day drinking (obviously!). Also, great memories of his 40th, when we all went to Thirsk races to celebrate, and he cleaned up on a horse called Shaftesbury. Great memories of a great guy. RIP Rod.

• Like 1