claiming uk pension here or uk

bedbugy

I do hope this isn't an enquiry about claiming to be in the UK and so getting your pension increased over the years in line with UK inflation versus claiming to be in the UK and having the pension amount frozen for the rest of your life. If you're resident in Thailand that would be fraud.

why whats your problem with that..these people have paid in for years,and getting what they should......chill out old boy....thumbsup.gif

dont think AyG has a problem, think he is justing point out the legal apsect of this...is he factually incorrect somehow and its not fraud ?

Why ya getting all defensive ?

It is not considered fraud.

And nobody caught doing it, was ever taken to court, accused of fraud.

That would make it OK then ?

Oops..

Benefit theft includes deliberately not telling us:

• you are now living with a partner
  • about any savings or not telling us the right amount
  • children have left home
  • you have started work, or about any earnings
  • you have inherited money
  • you are going abroad, living abroad, or have changed address.

There are no exceptions. People who knowingly withhold information or deliberately fail to report a change in their circumstances are benefit thieves. It is not ‘playing the game' – it is breaking the law!

You are responsible for keeping your claim up to date.

It’s not if we catch you, it’s when. And when we do, you could face a prison sentence.

• Like 1

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a questoin if I may.

If I have a final salary pension and a state pension and am non UK resident with tax exempt status. Do I pay tax on my pension?

If I claim I am a UK resident, I presume I will have tax deducted from my pension.

Would the non-index linking of a pension claimed as a non resident be worth more than any tax gain?

I believe that the determining factor is 'residence'. That in turn probably follows the tax rules as to whehter you would be counted as being resident in country X or country Y. However the distinction is not binary. I for instance spend time in Cyprus, in Thailand and in the UK. I plan to maintain my residence status in Cyprus even after I retire as you can do this and still not pay any income tax as long as you are not in the country for over 180 days. As Cyprus is in the EU, it would appear to meet all the DWP rules.

I do hope this isn't an enquiry about claiming to be in the UK and so getting your pension increased over the years in line with UK inflation versus claiming to be in the UK and having the pension amount frozen for the rest of your life. If you're resident in Thailand that would be fraud.

I must admit, I am vaguely interested in what will happen when I retire, as I can see me spending rainy season (April - October - i.e. Summer), living in the UK, while wintering in Thailand. Would my pension be frozen while in Thailand, then jump up again each time I'm back in the UK. - and when I return to Thailand, would it still be frozen at the rate when I retire, or does it reset to the rate when you last lived in the UK.

Given the recent changes to restrict FULL state pensions to people with 30 qualifying years of contributions, and the fact I've spent 12 years abroad, I'm not even sure I'll end up getting a full state pension. I am not intending to rely on it, because western governments are bankrupting themselves with entitlement spending and I fully expect them to run out of money paying pensions for the "baby boomers". They might end up deciding that the way to deal with the obvious unfairness of the frozen pension retirement country lottery (pension frozen if you retire to Thailand or Canada, not frozen if you retire to the Philippines or the USA, etc.), is to simply freeze the pensions of everyone.

Fraud, you mean like so many PM's fiddling their expenses?

• Like 1

Pension entitlement can be maintained by paying voluntary Class 2 contributions - I did this after leaving the UK and continued until the DWP wrote to me and said "enough".

I also believe youi can still make up some or all of the shortfall in a lump sum - but you would have to check that with them.

I believe that the determining factor is 'residence'. That in turn probably follows the tax rules as to whehter you would be counted as being resident in country X or country Y. However the distinction is not binary. I for instance spend time in Cyprus, in Thailand and in the UK. I plan to maintain my residence status in Cyprus even after I retire as you can do this and still not pay any income tax as long as you are not in the country for over 180 days. As Cyprus is in the EU, it would appear to meet all the DWP rules.

I must admit, I am vaguely interested in what will happen when I retire, as I can see me spending rainy season (April - October - i.e. Summer), living in the UK, while wintering in Thailand. Would my pension be frozen while in Thailand, then jump up again each time I'm back in the UK. - and when I return to Thailand, would it still be frozen at the rate when I retire, or does it reset to the rate when you last lived in the UK.

Given the recent changes to restrict FULL state pensions to people with 30 qualifying years of contributions, and the fact I've spent 12 years abroad, I'm not even sure I'll end up getting a full state pension. I am not intending to rely on it, because western governments are bankrupting themselves with entitlement spending and I fully expect them to run out of money paying pensions for the "baby boomers". They might end up deciding that the way to deal with the obvious unfairness of the frozen pension retirement country lottery (pension frozen if you retire to Thailand or Canada, not frozen if you retire to the Philippines or the USA, etc.), is to simply freeze the pensions of everyone.

It’s not if we catch you, it’s when. And when we do, you could face a prison sentence.

Benefit claims are not the same as the state pension, nobody is ever going to prison for claiming to be at home still.

• Like 1

I believe the situation is that it would have no affect on you if you were not absent from the country for more than 6 months and a day in any given calender year.

Pension entitlement can be maintained by paying voluntary Class 2 contributions - I did this after leaving the UK and continued until the DWP wrote to me and said "enough".

I also believe youi can still make up some or all of the shortfall in a lump sum - but you would have to check that with them.

When I looked recentley you could make up to 6 years back payments, there was some mention of there going to be some sort of transition arrangements for the change from 30 years of contributions to 35 years

If you still have a valid address you can use in the U.K, some prefer to draw their pension there. At least you still get the increments which are so unfairly disallowed if you draw your pension overseas!

• National Benefit Fraud Hotline 0800 854 440 – or 0800 678 3722 for Welsh speakers – Textphone users call 0800 328 0512
What is benefit theft? Everyone who commits benefit fraud is a benefit thief!

Many people assume that benefit theft applies only to those who are working for 'cash in hand' whilst claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance. This is not the case. All benefit theft is crime.

There are no exceptions. People who knowingly withhold information or deliberately fail to report a change in their circumstances are benefit thieves. It is not ‘playing the game' – it is breaking the law!

Three square meals a day sounds inviting. smile.png

• Like 1

Your best bet is to claim from here. There is now a stricter system either about to come into place or it may even be in place concerning pension claimers making a personal appearance at the pension office due to a clamp down on benefit frauds.

That's the first I've heard of it. I'm in the UK and claimed my by phone two days ago. They didn't say anything about having to appear at a 'pension office'.

Your best bet is to claim from here. There is now a stricter system either about to come into place or it may even be in place concerning pension claimers making a personal appearance at the pension office due to a clamp down on benefit frauds.

That's the first I've heard of it. I'm in the UK and claimed my by phone two days ago. They didn't say anything about having to appear at a 'pension office'.

You do realise that if they find out they'll want the money back that you overpaid and if they can't get it any other way they'll stop your pension until it's paid back.

If I have a final salary pension and a state pension and am non UK resident with tax exempt status. Do I pay tax on my pension?

If I claim I am a UK resident, I presume I will have tax deducted from my pension.

Would the non-index linking of a pension claimed as a non resident be worth more than any tax gain?

You will pay income tax on any income arising in the UK regardless of where you live (after your personal allowance has been taken into account).

Edited by sustento

I am currently on vacation in Thailand, but intend to live here permanently from early next year.

I'm only 60, so won't receive my state pension for another 5 years.

However I have already made extensive enquiries with the DWP and the Inland Revenue.

Everyone will have different circumstances and incomes, so my advise would be to do your own checks with relevant departments to see what works best for your situation.

Next year because I'm only 60 my income will come from renting my home and private pensions.

I'll register for self assessment for tax purposes.

No tax will be automatically taken from my private pension payments or home rental.

I can claim maintenance and agents costs against my total income and hopefully should break even without having to pay any tax.

When I'm 65 I'll receive my state pension and another private pension.

I can either notify them I am living in Thailand in which case my state pension will be frozen and I'll have to pay taxes, or;

I can claim exemption from the UK and pay no taxes there.

Theoretically I should then pay taxes in Thailand, but I won't tell if you don't wink.png

If you want to keep a UK address in order to get state pension increases, then you'll also pay taxes on your income.

You either make a clean break and live in Thailand or keep looking over your shoulder.

When considering where to have your money paid, either Thai or UK banks, consider interest rates.

The Thai banks offer a far better rate than UK banks.

Offshore banking is another option, although even their rates are lower than Thai banks.

If you spend more than 181 days in the UK then you can claim the current state pension.

Every 5 years or so, I'll visit family and stay to claim the current rate.

Even when I move back to Thailand that rate will continue.

There isn't any one answer to cover everyone.

I am currently on vacation in Thailand, but intend to live here permanently from early next year.

However I have already made extensive enquiries with the DWP and the Inland Revenue.

Everyone will have different circumstances and incomes, so my advise would be to do your own checks with relevant departments to see what works best for your situation.

Next year because I'm only 60 my income will come from renting my home and private pensions.

No tax will be automatically taken from my private pension payments or home rental.

I can claim maintenance and agents costs against my total income and hopefully should break even without having to pay any tax.

I can either notify them I am living in Thailand in which case my state pension will be frozen and I'll have to pay taxes, or;

Theoretically I should then pay taxes in Thailand, but I won't tell if you don't wink.png

If you want to keep a UK address in order to get state pension increases, then you'll also pay taxes on your income.

You either make a clean break and live in Thailand or keep looking over your shoulder.

When considering where to have your money paid, either Thai or UK banks, consider interest rates.

Offshore banking is another option, although even their rates are lower than Thai banks.

If you spend more than 181 days in the UK then you can claim the current state pension.

Out of curiosity how long a visit would you need to make to have your pension increased?

If you still have a valid address you can use in the U.K, some prefer to draw their pension there. At least you still get the increments which are so unfairly disallowed if you draw your pension overseas!

• National Benefit Fraud Hotline 0800 854 440 – or 0800 678 3722 for Welsh speakers – Textphone users call 0800 328 0512
Cy
What is benefit theft? Everyone who commits benefit fraud is a benefit thief!

Many people assume that benefit theft applies only to those who are working for 'cash in hand' whilst claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance. This is not the case. All benefit theft is crime.

WOW thats heavy talk man..me wonder who you work for..no need to check on me as I have five years to go

Edited by geezer2

Out of curiosity how long a visit would you need to make to have your pension increased?

In order to claim an increase you must be classified as a resident of the UK. To meet that criteria I believe the current position is 181 days in the UK.

Your pension would be frozen again at the increased rate when you return to Thailand.

Its easy. I get my UK pension paid into my HSBC account in the UK and I draw out from Thai ATM machines. The ATM charges me 150bt a withdrawal on top of the bank charges.Ive done this for years.

But I do think it is a disgrace that our UK pensions are not index-linked. Why should we be discriminated against?

I read that the British Ambassador to Thailand complained about this to the British government but he got nowhere.

In order to claim an increase you must be classified as a resident of the UK. To meet that criteria I believe the current position is 181 days in the UK.

Your pension would be frozen again at the increased rate when you return to Thailand.

I wish the tax man worked on the basis of 181 days to be resident in the UK. laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

This might be more a case of checking the person is still alive.

Did anybody hear about what happened in the case of Sogen Kato in Tokyo. Basically the council were going to celebrate him as Tokyo's oldest man, only to discover when they got police to break into the house that he'd actually died 30 years earlier, and his children had been cashing his pension cheques.

• Like 2

Theoretically I should then pay taxes in Thailand, but I won't tell if you don't Posted Image

You cannot claim exemption from UK tax. ANY income derived from the UK is subject to UK tax,as all of us living in Thailand well know. Your best bet is not to inform the UK authorities that you are,or intend to live in Thailand, keep an address in the UK or one of the countries where they do receive the yearly increase, therefore ensuring that you receive the yearly increase that YOU have paid for.

There is no tax gain, you still pay UK tax on pensions.

You lose all protection for your private pension from the FSA, as you are no longer UK resident.

(so it's a free gift for your IFA who can now cheat and con you with no worries about comeback)

2 years ..........

@diver

You will be required to pay tax on all UK derived income no matter where you live.

You cannot claim exemption from UK tax. ANY income derived from the UK is subject to UK tax,as all of us living in Thailand well know. Your best bet is not to inform the UK authorities that you are,or intend to live in Thailand, keep an address in the UK or one of the countries where they do receive the yearly increase, therefore ensuring that you receive the yearly increase that YOU have paid for.

Even though that would be illegal.

The law determines who should get the increase (fair or NOT), not posters like nontabury

Its easy. I get my UK pension paid into my HSBC account in the UK and I draw out from Thai ATM machines. The ATM charges me 150bt a withdrawal on top of the bank charges.Ive done this for years.

But I do think it is a disgrace that our UK pensions are not index-linked. Why should we be discriminated against?

I read that the British Ambassador to Thailand complained about this to the British government but he got nowhere.

You are throwing more money away with your cash withdrawal system than you are losing in pension increases.

Have your pension paid to Thailand (a better rate than HSBC will giver you on ATM withdrawals AND you save the 150 Baht a time fee.

Whether or not one likes the UK government's non-indexing of State pensions for those living in Thailand, residency must be declared. The tax man will eventually catch up with you and may demand back payments and a penalty. Is it worth the risk of a diminished pension while you pay off the debt?

• Like 2

Benefit claims are not the same as the state pension, nobody is ever going to prison for claiming to be at home still.

Oooh! - A Chancer!

We don't get many of those on here.

gee thanks to all who posted i never thought this was a big topic

i can take a rain check on this

if i claim from the uk i get all the benifits

one poster said that as from april 2014 no payments to be made here for new claiments

so back to were to claim i have lived her on an extension of stay retirement visa renew every year 800000 in the bank for the past 14 years report every 90 days this is not resident visa but a temperey of stay like most expats have married or single so this is not permanant in the eyes of thai law as it can change as they wish the bottom line is claim from the uk take a chance im here on holidy with a years extension to my visa

claim from thailand be a sucker what with the romanians and others claiming for everthing in sight who have not paid anything into the ni id be the sucker no too

Out of interest can the UK system tract that you are living abroad? e.g. in Australia the benefits payment department computers are integrated with immigration and are alerted once the payee has exceeded the allowed time abroad for the full range of benefits payments, including Aged Pension

Edited by simple1

As someone who informed the authorities of my residence in Thailand and who subsequently receives a non indexed pension, even though I did make NI contributions for 44 yrs. I would advice the OP to keep it secret where he now lives, and to have his pension paid into his UK bank, and in doing so he will received it indexed linked.

I'm sure some people will reply that I am encouraging fraud, well in my opion and that of tens of thousand of other pensioner who are in the same situation, the British Government committed fraud when they took my Ni from me with no intention of paying me a fully indexed pension simply because I reside in Thailand.

I find myself agreeing 100% with this post, and yet...................... the law is still the law, two wrongs don't make a right, blah blah blah