Dengue Fever Infection Rising In Thailand

george

Dengue fever infection rising in Thailand

BANGKOK: -- Dengue fever infections appear to be on the rise in Thailand this year, with at least eight persons dying so far, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

Figures from January to mid-April show 4,971 Thais nationwide have been infected with the disease and that eight reportedly died, three in the southern province of Nakhon Si Thammarat, two in Bangkok and one each in Phichit, Nakhon Nayok, and Pattani, according to the head of Thailand's Disease Control Department, Dr. Thawat Suntrajarn.

Dengue fever, an infection which is spread by the bite of infected mosquitoes, is common in Thailand, especially during the rainy season, which is about to begin.

Meanwhile, caretaker Public Health Minister Pinij Jarusombat said although the rainy season has yet to arrive in most of Thailand, the current figures show that dengue fever infection rates in the country began to soar since early this year.

The main factor could be that the disease is peaking, that it has come to its full epidemiological cycle, and that more severe strains of the dengue virus has emerged.

He said he had instructed all provincial public health offices throughout the country to set plans for the control of the outbreaks of the dengue fever as well as other major communicable diseases including the bird flu.

The plans would include the eradication of the aedes mosquito which transmits the dengue. Physical destruction of the mosquito population is considered the most effective preventive measure against infection.

--TNA 2006-04-28

Eradication of mosquitos would get a big thumbs up from me.

Dengue Fever is caught through a daytime biting species of Mosquito so if you are in a high risk area it may be worthwhile wearing repellant during the day.

There is no vaccine or cure. All they can do is treat the symptoms.

I've had it too. Chiang Mai late nineties.

From what they told me at the time (well afterwards as I have little recollection of the time itself) there are 13 strains and you can not catch the same strain twice as you develop resistance and you are less likely to catch a closely related strain as well. That said, only 12 strains to go chaps!

The annual reminder..............

Down in Malaysia and Singapore there is regular "fogging" to kill the little blighters and laws about not keeping standing water.

What does Thailand do? Nothing except complain each year.

If you do have a pond or tub of water with plants in it, make sure you buy some little fish

to put in there. They will eat any mosquito larvae and keep you safe.

It is the Aedes Mosquito that carries Dengue Fever.

Edited by astral

Had it a bit less than two years ago. Felt like shit for a week, was very week for a month. No problem, had worse.

The next time though might be worse, they say that the second time it might get into the hemmoraging stage, and needs a hospital stay.

There is not much anyone can do about dengue. It mainly grows in high density urban areas, and increased travelling helps spread the strains.

The problem as with so many tings in Thailand mainly come from lack of education. Look around, everywhere is garbage collecting rain water. A drop can breed thousinde of mosquitoes. People have to learn to clean up their gardens and environment for anything that holds still water.

In the rest of the world TV programs show short spots between programs explaining this.

Dengue fever during this period, there not only will be cases of hand, foots and mouths diseases spreading around young children, which is very worrisome, the health department knows bloody well of the situation but so far take no actions.

I had it too :D , happened in Chiangmai in August 2003. I was staying in Thailand for about 1 month to see my gf. The last week of my stay I suddenly felt like i had the flew.. musscle pain, high fever, nauseaness, I actually threw up blood ! :D

Luckely my gf was a student doctor and she took me to the hospital (Chiangmai Ram, the Suandok hospital had a que of 3 hours :o ). I was theathened very well at chiangmai ram, took my blood and confirmed I had dengue. Felt awefull sick for about 7 days, although the first 5 days are the worst. Your bloodplates drop like mad and your gum turns red. After the 5th day you get better but then then rash comes... I praid to god to have mercy on me..

As my gf explained, there are 4 variations of dengue. The first one is the one that is the least severe. And uhm.. the 4th one is uhmm... you don't want that one... Each time you get infected with dengue you will go up one step higher. You will be resistant to the variations you had for only 6 months ! After that you are not immune anymore.

I have a few tips for those that don't want dengue....

1. use mosquitomilk !!!

2. Don't go into bushes or tree places with short pants

3. Always try to keep you house as much as possible mosquito free (i know it's hard)

Last but not least, don't feel safer if you see the daylight.. these mosquito's bite during daytime

Here's the evil creature

dengue2.jpg

Now don't start dreaming you guys :D

So far attempts at developing a vaccine have been unsuccessful and although there is some optimism about a trial now underway in Thailand it will be at least three years before the results are known. Source.... The Travel Doctor TMVC website.

So far attempts at developing a vaccine have been unsuccessful and although there is some optimism about a trial now underway in Thailand it will be at least three years before the results are known. Source.... The Travel Doctor TMVC website.

Still, it's nice to know they are making progress in making a vaccine (even though it's not tested yet)

My 2 only fairs of coming to Thailand are Dengue and Malaria.

The risk of catching either is very low if you take sensible precautions.

Cases that do occur are usually in the more remote areas.

Buy a good repellant. I use Sketolene, available at chemists and super markets.

Cheap and effective.

The risk of catching either is very low if you take sensible precautions.

Cases that do occur are usually in the more remote areas.

Buy a good repellant. I use Sketolene, available at chemists and super markets.

Cheap and effective.

Thanks for the tip ! Problem is.. i'm going to be in Mae Sot for about 1 year.. seems like there are a lot of cases there :o

My wife and I got Dengue in Phuket (Kata Beach) last christmas. 9 days in the hospital! Oddly, we had different strains, but fell ill at the same time.

Mosquito repellant is important, but far from foolproof. Staying inside during the worst hours of sunset and sunrise is a good idea, but not too practical. Also a good to stay away from work encampments and places with very high turnovers in people- you spread dengue for the first week-10 days of infection (when bit and mozzie bites someone else).

I had Dengue roughly 10 years ago. I got extremely ill and was either semi-conscious or unconcious for 3 days (it was during Songkran). I have no recollection of those days. I was at home and I know I must have drank water and used the toilet. Once conscious, I was very weak for several weeks and had recurring fever. It's quite nasty to have.

Please be aware DO NOT take aspirin. It is a hemorragic type fever and causes internal bleeding. Asprin thins the blood. If you are in areas prone to to it, keep paracetemol on hand or one of the other aspirin substitutes.

All that said, I've been in Thailand for years and have had overall better health than in Western countries -- now accidents are a whole different story! When I caught dengue I was (and had been) in Bangkok for a long time--living near Silom road and hadn't been anywhere else. Dengue can be caught in the city.

Best of luck to all and take care of yourself.