Ricardo-AEA signs agreement on major new environmental initiative in Samui

• Agreement will see Ricardo-AEA working with the Mayor of Koh Samui Municipality to deliver the first 'Green Island' in Asia-Pacific
  • This work aims to help the Municipality deliver an environmentally sustainable future against a backdrop of increasing population and a highly successful and rapidly developing tourism sector

continued .. http://www.4-traders.com/RICARDO-PLC-4000741/news/Ricardo-plc--Ricardo-AEA-signs-agreement-on-major-new-Thai-environmental-initiative-17366416/

Lowering the price of solar panels might help

Make bigger reservoirs to collect rain water and the use of water fulls to generate electric

I am open to suggestions that em rich our lives and keeps costs down plus keeps the places natural beauty before it turns into a concrete jungle

re Solar .... see

Thailand boosts solar energy target to 3,000 MW

'Thailand has boosted its solar energy target by 50%, announcing its aim to build 3,000 megawatts of new capacity by 2021.

The government has also approved new subsidised rates for rooftop and village-based projects, in a bid to boost community owned and rooftop solar projects in the country.

Thailand currently relies on fossil fuels for 80% of its energy generation. The latest announcement is part of an overall aim to build almost 14 MW of clean-energy capacity in the country by 2021.

The government will work with the Village Fund, a state-run microcredit provider, to develop 800 megawatts of community-owned photovoltaic plants by the end of 2014, the Ministry of Energy said in a July 16 statement.

In addition, 200 megawatts of rooftop installations built by the end of the year will be eligible for the special rates, it said. Half must be built on residential homes.

Thailand follows Europe and Japan in offering feed-in tariffs, or fixed rates above the wholesale price of power, to attract investment into renewable energy.'

- See more at: http://tcktcktck.org/2013/07/thailand-boosts-solar-energy-target-to-3000-mw/55332#sthash.YzicsCet.dpuf

http://tcktcktck.org/2013/07/thailand-boosts-solar-energy-target-to-3000-mw/55332

and

'The ministry announced tariffs as high as 6,960 baht ($225) per megawatt-hour for the smallest rooftop projects. That’s about 57 percent above the global average for crystalline photovoltaic projects, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The projects will sell their power to the government under 25-year contracts. Village-owned projects will get paid as much as 9,750 baht per megawatt hour at the beginning before the tariff levels off to 4,500 baht per megawatt hour by the end of the agreement.'

Edited by churchill
  • Like 1

One of my wishes would be to stop all the rubbish burning, specially plastics, tires etc.

For example I pass the construction site of "Replay" Condo between Bophut and Bangrak almost daily and I can always see 1 to 2 big fires with lotsa smoke. They seem to burn all the rubbish that construction of many hundred apartments create.

While it will probably be hard to stop all the locals next door setting up a small fire to get rid of mosquitos it would be a big improvment if we can stop the above behaviour.

They burn rubbish all over Thailand , everywhere I have lived in Thailand , apart from Bangkok , they burn rubbish . They don't realise what burning rubbish does and no one has probably told them it is bad for the environment or more importantly it pisses people off !

You also have the 10 plus year old pickups and trucks that would be classed illegal in most countries with the amount of smoke they emit

Another big point is plastic bags ! If they want a kick start ban or limit plastic bags ( esp 7-11 and family mart )

• Like 1

^ I am guessing that this smoke might be coming from Replay today...? hard to tell where exactly ... but pretty bad.bah.gif

(I was close to Lomprayah pier )

IMG_7622.CR2.jpg

IMG_7623.CR2.jpg

As for bags from 7-11 or family mart etc.... there is not a store in Thailand I've been too, that will give you a bag, if you ask them not to as they start to ring in.

Just say "Mae Plastic", that's been working for me for years... Even in non tourists areas I travel through, that don't speak much or any English .... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Make bigger reservoirs to collect rain water and the use of water fulls to generate electric

I am open to suggestions that em rich our lives and keeps costs down plus keeps the places natural beauty before it turns into a concrete jungle

re Solar .... see

'Thailand has boosted its solar energy target by 50%, announcing its aim to build 3,000 megawatts of new capacity by 2021.

The government has also approved new subsidised rates for rooftop and village-based projects, in a bid to boost community owned and rooftop solar projects in the country.

Thailand currently relies on fossil fuels for 80% of its energy generation. The latest announcement is part of an overall aim to build almost 14 MW of clean-energy capacity in the country by 2021.

The government will work with the Village Fund, a state-run microcredit provider, to develop 800 megawatts of community-owned photovoltaic plants by the end of 2014, the Ministry of Energy said in a July 16 statement.

In addition, 200 megawatts of rooftop installations built by the end of the year will be eligible for the special rates, it said. Half must be built on residential homes.

Thailand follows Europe and Japan in offering feed-in tariffs, or fixed rates above the wholesale price of power, to attract investment into renewable energy.'

- See more at: http://tcktcktck.org/2013/07/thailand-boosts-solar-energy-target-to-3000-mw/55332#sthash.YzicsCet.dpuf

http://tcktcktck.org/2013/07/thailand-boosts-solar-energy-target-to-3000-mw/55332

and

'The ministry announced tariffs as high as 6,960 baht ($225) per megawatt-hour for the smallest rooftop projects. That’s about 57 percent above the global average for crystalline photovoltaic projects, according to data compiled by Bloomberg.

The projects will sell their power to the government under 25-year contracts. Village-owned projects will get paid as much as 9,750 baht per megawatt hour at the beginning before the tariff levels off to 4,500 baht per megawatt hour by the end of the agreement.'

so what u r saying is that the government shall give me a discount on eletric if i can buy solor panels and run them into the government gride?

basically it slows my own meter down is that correct?

so what u r saying is that the government shall give me a discount on eletric if i can buy solor panels and run them into the government gride?

basically it slows my own meter down is that correct?

No, you would not want to use your own generated electricity since the price you can get when selling it is so much higher than what you pay when buying electricity from the grid.

Sell all what you have and buy it back at a lower price, the same is taught in Stock Broker 101 smile.png

^ I am guessing that this smoke might be coming from Replay today...? hard to tell where exactly ... but pretty bad.bah.gif

(I was close to Lomprayah pier )

IMG_7622.CR2.jpg

IMG_7623.CR2.jpg

As for bags from 7-11 or family mart etc.... there is not a store in Thailand I've been too, that will give you a bag, if you ask them not to as they start to ring in.

Just say "Mae Plastic", that's been working for me for years... Even in non tourists areas I travel through, that don't speak much or any English .... thumbsup.gif

Thanks Jimmy for that shot, its an impressive one, amazing how far one can see it. Actually looks even worse from the distance.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Even after Replay is finished, the regular fires continues as they are building another project just behind. Must be really nice if you bought one of those 400 condos (or one of the houses nearby, depending on the wind) and now getting all that smoke.

post-59061-0-08378500-1397831926_thumb.j

Edited by CaptainS
  • Like 1

I am geting more smiles lately when I tell the shop assisitants 'no bag thank you - save the planet'.thumbsup.gif

I used to get strange looks! blink.png

Or maybe they are just getting used to the 'wierd farang'.whistling.gif

That's been better for quite a while, (years now) with out getting the strange looks... even 7-11/ Family mart'staff around the south of Thailand and BKK "get it"... "Mae Plastic".... even in non tourist areas... Shops where you are served by the owner, usually say "Thank you for saving the environment" thumbsup.gif ....

Now if only..... everyone would "get it" ! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

One thing I've noticed is the use of styrofoam containers for take away from restaurants. Granted Thailand is probably still classified as a developing nation but most western countries did away with them decades ago. They are horrible for the environment.

One thing I've noticed is the use of styrofoam containers for take away from restaurants. Granted Thailand is probably still classified as a developing nation but most western countries did away with them decades ago. They are horrible for the environment.

Specially if people just dump them into the sea :(

At least I can often see staff working in the shops around Samui bringing their own bowl to get noodle soup from the vendors on the street.

So the resource scarce Samui Municipality is paying a British consultancy company, to tell it to waste more money on inefficient and unreliable power which will do nothing for the environment.

Samui desperately needs investment on its electricity infrastructure to guarantee its reliability. This is the most urgent requirement to sustain the island.

Futile energy schemes will only increase supply costs for those who can least afford it.

So the resource scarce Samui Municipality is paying a British consultancy company, to tell it to waste more money on inefficient and unreliable power which will do nothing for the environment.

Samui desperately needs investment on its electricity infrastructure to guarantee its reliability. This is the most urgent requirement to sustain the island.

Futile energy schemes will only increase supply costs for those who can least afford it.

Huh? blink.png

You are obviously not up to date on the electric system improvements over the last two years ....facepalm.gif

• Like 1

re Solar .... see

and

I am doing solar installations here. So far not one of the solar rooftop installations have been approved although deadline was end of last year.

In Samui it is impossible to apply for that scheme, the nedless paperwork is done at the PEA in Hat jay.

All large solar power plant projects in Thailand are on hold because the PEA has problems with the grid infrastructure.

yes jimmy i am up to date on the new supply cables installed by PEA

it is the local infrastructure which needs upgrading so we dont have regular localised blackouts such as we experienced 3 times only yesterday.

Solar power stations and solar panels only double the cost of electricity, are an unreliable supply and therefore do not lower the demand for base power.

All for a futile attempt to lower CO2 emissions on environmental grounds without evidence.

Likewise for the electric vehicles they want to introduce.

Samui has real and far more important environmental concerns such as toxic waste water which is dumped into waterways and pollute beaches.

yes jimmy i am up to date on the new supply cables installed by PEA

it is the local infrastructure which needs upgrading so we dont have regular localised blackouts such as we experienced 3 times only yesterday.

Solar power stations and solar panels only double the cost of electricity, are an unreliable supply and therefore do not lower the demand for base power.

All for a futile attempt to lower CO2 emissions on environmental grounds without evidence.

Likewise for the electric vehicles they want to introduce.

Samui has real and far more important environmental concerns such as toxic waste water which is dumped into waterways and pollute beaches.

Don't worry. A local farmer about 2 miles away in the UK is putting in 35 acres worth. What killwatt peak will he get?

2 hours. Seeing subsidies like this is ridiculous.

This is obviously a subject close to your heart beachsabine - but are you taking into consideration local conditions?

1 with the new undersea cable - electrical supply on Samui is currently greater than demand.

2 in places - the infrastructure on Samui is weak. But improvements continue under the current government structure. There is no magic wand - it takes time.

3 there will always be power outages on Samui - regardless of supply and demand for electricity or no matter what the infrastructure looks like. This is because of the weather/environment here. The law currently does not allow underground power lines - except in exceptional circumstances or on private developments. The reason is - flooding (and yes - the drainage here is 100 times better now!) Flooding and underground power lines = death by electrocution. So - all power cables are on poles 'in the tree line'. Big wind or rain - the branches/trees fall and break the cables. It's a fact of life but the breaks are usually fixed quite quickly. Yes - they do preventative maintenance by trying to cut branches etc on a regular basis - but the bluddy branches keep on growing. This is not helped by the drunken or stupid drivers who keep driving into power poles!

Please bear in mind that thunderstorms here can be very 'local'. Where I live in Plai Laem - there has been no rain at all so far this year, but there have been rain storms elsewhere causing power outages for me. Nothing will ever fix this issue. Power cuts are a way of life on a tropical island.

Sorry - what toxic waste water are you talking about?

• Like 2

2 in places - the infrastructure on Samui is weak. But improvements continue under the current government structure. There is no magic wand - it takes time.

15 years ago Lamai was THE worst for powercuts. Huge upgrades were made 2002-4 which brought the area up to the standard 'suffered' by other parts of the island. There is no question that the entire island has since improved though some areas (not Lamai) seem to still get power cuts or drops every week or so. Drainage improved since the floods in 2010, much of it due to clearing out the sand from the klongs though they may well have returned to their previous state. Hard to tell when there is no heavy rain! Roads have improved though the stupendously quick resurfacing of much of the ring road during late 2009 is starting to fall apart. Water retention seems to be an issue but hard to really say for sure because of lack of rain. All in all, a vast improvement over the last few years I would say.

I've been told the incinerator is running under limited capacity but I have no idea if that is true. Jim may have a picture

• Like 2

15 years ago Lamai was THE worst for powercuts. Huge upgrades were made 2002-4 which brought the area up to the standard 'suffered' by other parts of the island. There is no question that the entire island has since improved though some areas (not Lamai) seem to still get power cuts or drops every week or so. Drainage improved since the floods in 2010, much of it due to clearing out the sand from the klongs though they may well have returned to their previous state. Hard to tell when there is no heavy rain! Roads have improved though the stupendously quick resurfacing of much of the ring road during late 2009 is starting to fall apart. Water retention seems to be an issue but hard to really say for sure because of lack of rain. All in all, a vast improvement over the last few years I would say.

I've been told the incinerator is running under limited capacity but I have no idea if that is true. Jim may have a picture

I don't have a picture of the incinerator, working.... I asked somewhere here, the other day if it was working, it's in an area, not on my regular beaten path, so don't see it often!

I agree with Tropicalevo's responses ^ to beachsabine's comments, which are over stated... and implying the whole Island is a disaster zone... it's not... that all the beaches are all a polluted mess, they are not... Yes there are areas that could be improved on, especially with plastic litteriing and burning etc, .... But even beaches in the western world are not always 100 % perfect... Oil spills happen anywhere where boats and sea craft are... regardless of country...

Perhaps the new Central Shopping centre, has caused problems with electric in that area with the extra draw... and it probably won't be an overnight fix....so a few will be inconvenienced while it is fixed.... but it is not affecting the whole island...

Vast improvements here generally speaking over the last few years on the whole...thumbsup.gif .... but you can't please all of the people .... all the time! whistling.gif

• Like 1

tropicalevo - as i stated it is not a supply problem but local infrastructure which needs modern upgrading so there are not outages when it rains, and better separation and clearance of power lines.

The issue is that with a very limited budget, Samui Municipality should allocate resources to these real and practical improvements.

Not to pathetic solar schemes.

jimmy - i did not say all the beaches are a polluted mess.

but if you look at most creeks and drains which run into the ocean, they are toxic black. for instance the bangrak creek by the pier.

there seem to be no restrictions on what is dumped.

currents can transfer it around to other beaches, and i see the pollution and dead fish washed up periodically

as for beach trash, you will find it everywhere there isnt a resort

so once again, how are funds better spent?