Bangkok to Chang Mai... Trains? Best low budget hotels?

ev1lchris

Hello everyone,

A friend informed me that train service to Chang Mai is currently down until the end of this month. Is this true?

I am planning to leave Bangkok on Sunday and stay until Wednesday (maybe). Can someone recommend some good low cost hotels? I hear the lodgings are inexpensive anyways.

What sights are there to see up there too? I just keep hearing wonderful things and have yet to experience it for myself.

I believe that the Bangkok-Chiang Mai train is still running but with the track repairs you go via train Bangkok to Uttaradit and then via bus from Uttaradit to Chiang Mai. Check out Seat61.

As far as hotel; can you give some info on what you want in a hotel? Budget, need pool, etc.

As for the sights; Wat Phra Sing and Wat Chedi Luang are popular sites for the tourists inside the Old City. Less popular (which I like) but nice are Wat Chiang Man and Wat Dok Eung.

Personally, I didn't like Wat Phra That Doi Suthep that much. It was really busy and very crowded with tourists, both Thai and foreigner.

If you like to visit Flower gardens/Parks there is two nice ones. One is Phuping (Bhuping) Palace which is further up Doi Suthep past Wat Doi Suthep. Another is Ratchaphruek Flower Gardens (also referred to as Royal Flora Ratchaphruek) about 15km south of the city.

Take a look at http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g293917-Activities-Chiang_Mai.html

If your budget allows it may be safest to fly just now. The weather is pretty shitty and a lot of heavy rain - the drive could be a bit of a hazard in it. You can probably get a flight for 2500 baht and perhaps go back on the bus if the rain dies down.

Nakhornchaiair (NCA)is the safest bus company in Thailand.. All others your putting your life on the line.

http://primia.net/thaibus/

http://www.nakhonchaiair.com/index.php

For people who want to travel around northern Thailand, Green Bus is a good choice. They service a number of cities in northern Thailand and they also have a very good reputation. I traveled on them last year for a round trip Chiang Mai <--> Chiang Rai and also Chiang Mai <--> Mae Sai. Their VIP seats are nice and comfy, and their aircon is strong. Their service is good and their drivers, IMO, drove the bus in a safe manner.

Haven't you seen the articles on bus crashes, driver assaults and train derailments ? Fly it only takes an hour and it can be relatively cheap with Bangkok Air.

Hotels suggested - 1st. choice = Lana Lodge Hotel and then the Star Hotel, both are well placed for restaurants and markets and offer help with places to see. Also Lai-Thai Guesthouse a little further away from the centre. All of these are on Agoda, but I would suggest checking their own websites, and calling them to get a better deal. Enjoy your trip.