Hiring a driver in Phuket

CFC

I want to hire a driver when I arrive in Phuket to find a place to live. My motor bike days are over. Can anyone recommend a decent driver and what should I be looking to pay per day for their time and the fuel.

I pay 12000 a month but that's for a full-time driver/handyman.

Is that using your car, or his?

Also, if his car, and I know it's a minor issue, but does this make him an illegal taxi?

My car.

You have me thinking, Colonel.

When friends/family visit me, or for tourists as well, I wonder if hiring a car, but having a Thai drive it (nominated driver on the hiring contract) could be a possible way to get the transport issue here.

It could also be employment for more Thai's.

So, your driver meet you at the airport, you hire your car, then he, and the car, is yours, 24/7, for the duration of your holiday. The car stays at your hotel, and the driver rides his motorbike home, and meets you again the next day.

I wonder if these guys would be pulled out of the car and assaulted by the tuk-tuk guys?

I pay 12000 a month but that's for a full-time driver/handyman.

Is that using your car, or his?

Also, if his car, and I know it's a minor issue, but does this make him an illegal taxi?

My car.

You have me thinking, Colonel.

When friends/family visit me, or for tourists as well, I wonder if hiring a car, but having a Thai drive it (nominated driver on the hiring contract) could be a possible way to get the transport issue here.

It could also be employment for more Thai's.

So, your driver meet you at the airport, you hire your car, then he, and the car, is yours, 24/7, for the duration of your holiday. The car stays at your hotel, and the driver rides his motorbike home, and meets you again the next day.

I wonder if these guys would be pulled out of the car and assaulted by the tuk-tuk guys?

It's something family members have done before without any problems but if it became more widespread, who knows what the reaction would be?

Having said that we do know the likely reaction.