Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

A post that is yet another example of banality...the world doesn't revolve around you, bro, or your subjective opinion...as I said if you are unhappy with the way things are here then why live here and complain about it....rhetorical question

Edited by maxism

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A compulsary healthinsurance would solve the problem. Same as we demand Thai citizens (and others) have before entering into the EC.

I don't think this applies to the UK, as when I tool my wife there last year, this was not a requirement. However I did have to guarantee that ANY costs encountered by her would be payed by myself.

Simply because the UK is not a "Schengen-State"... That's all

Btw....are you saying that train derailment, accidents caused by drug addicts, etc, don't happen where you come from? That corruption doesn't exist where you come from? That your country of origin is perfect in every way? Ignorance is bliss bro

Edited by maxism

This latest scam brings another new meaning to Pay to Play eh?

Fing BS is what I call it.

It's a win / win for tourists and expats and I'm all for it 500 baht for health insurance compared to 20K baht for 12 months is a great idea. Might put a huge financial drain on the Thai Health system when tourists and expats stop taking out their personal insurance and opt for the new thai scheme tho. If Thailand want to hug us, love us and take care of us with this wonderful idea we should not oppose it.

Yes...for tourists who have no health insurance it may be a good idea. However things are still

quite vague at this point in time as to whether just what 500B will cover and say...if it will be a

month by month payment for tourists on say...90 day visa's. 1500B for 90 days is pricey if

only minimal hospital care or outpatient treatment is given in my POV. Anyway I have PR

and a very good health insurance policy so I'm not concerned save for the fact this is easily

taken as just another government sponsored scam to fleece farangs outa money.

A compulsary healthinsurance would solve the problem. Same as we demand Thai citizens (and others) have before entering into the EC.

I don't think this applies to the UK, as when I tool my wife there last year, this was not a requirement. However I did have to guarantee that ANY costs encountered by her would be payed by myself.

Simply because the UK is not a "Schengen-State"... That's all
compulsory health insurance won't work as most tourists would not pay as an added expense, and therefore would opt to visit another south East Asian country. Thailand would lose valuable revenue, which is why a small fee upon arrival is a positive option

I chatted to a few Thai's about the surcharge on foreigners, about knowingly charging any one of us more than the Thai's, wondering how this is possible in a culture so apparently sensitive to a faith where the foundation is on giving and receiving, on 'cause and effect' and the concept of what you put out there is what comes back to you.

Needless to say that their blatant focus on money, on "getting", simply affirms a lack of self acceptance. The response I got was some distorted idea that this is separate from their faith, that ' ..they see it as business, if you look like you are richer, they see it as business to charge you more than the other person ..."

You formulate this opinion by asking "a few Thais"? I doubt that any Thai person would say (re requesting furangsI pay for health care upon arrival) would say it's about "business"

My post was a general comment on overcharging. In that respect, yes, I ' formulated this opinion ' and yip a few Thai's I spoke to said just that, each in their own way - that this is business. Fascinating that you find that hard to believe?

I will ad that perhaps some of that money will line the pockets of corrupt politicians, as in every country, however, it still is a great option for any tourist. I would prefer to pay 500 baht upon arrival for full health cover rather than 100-500k should I have an accident on a motor cycle or have a heart attack. This is a positive solution to an ongoing problem and I think most educated people would agree on this

I chatted to a few Thai's about the surcharge on foreigners, about knowingly charging any one of us more than the Thai's, wondering how this is possible in a culture so apparently sensitive to a faith where the foundation is on giving and receiving, on 'cause and effect' and the concept of what you put out there is what comes back to you.

Needless to say that their blatant focus on money, on "getting", simply affirms a lack of self acceptance. The response I got was some distorted idea that this is separate from their faith, that ' ..they see it as business, if you look like you are richer, they see it as business to charge you more than the other person ..."

You formulate this opinion by asking "a few Thais"? I doubt that any Thai person would say (re requesting furangsI pay for health care upon arrival) would say it's about "business"

My post was a general comment on overcharging. In that respect, yes, I ' formulated this opinion ' and yip a few Thai's I spoke to said just that, each in their own way - that this is business. Fascinating that you find that hard to believe?

As an educated man I do not formulate an opinion from the comments of a few individuals. Most educated Thais that I know would never say it's business, but "necessary", as the general consensus for Thai ppl now is, "why, as a tax-payer do I need to foot the bill for tourists health insurance?".

I have been married for almost 10 years to an educated Thai lady with 2 wonderful kids. Her opinion is important to me and she will not include something so trivial as corruption into a debate about a health insurance scheme that obviously benefits all. Thus, my opinion is objective not subjectively based on the opinions most of the parrots here

Most of the money will disappear into the pockets of officials. Every ministry is getting into the act of skimming off money to share around. This is another example of the MoH doing the same thing. Thailand is definitely the Hub of Corruption.

• Like 1

Another strategic move of the corrupters...

Many farang already look beyond the amazing smile...let's hope that the TAT start to think.

By the way, if foreigners need medical assistance they pay for it...so it has always been and always will be.

Issue is the j hospitals in this context are counting the cost of lost profit. This is what happens when health care becomes purely a for profit exercise.

Most of the money will disappear into the pockets of officials. Every ministry is getting into the act of skimming off money to share around. This is another example of the MoH doing the same thing. Thailand is definitely the Hub of Corruption.

Btw....are you saying that train derailment, accidents caused by drug addicts, etc, don't happen where you come from? That corruption doesn't exist where you come from? That your country of origin is perfect in every way? Ignorance is bliss bro

First of all "bro"...I am not your "bro"!

Second of all: what does that have to do with anything?

Thirdly: I am a PAYING GUEST in this country and I pay more taxes than many Thais.

Fourth: as long as there is a little bit of freedom of speech left here, I take the right to complain or criticize political decisions.

Fifth: where do you come from, "bro"? the 1930's?

The vast MAJORITY of tourists come here with either a) a private travel insurance or B) enough money to pay a "normal" hospital- stay!

If something extraordinary happens in "my" country, a hospital has to take you, no matter if you have an insurance.

"My" country is not perfect and so isn't this one!

But continue to be thai'er than Thai!

...and talk about ignorance!

are you going to make a point soon rather than shout out your opinion with excessive exclamation marks?

I will ad that perhaps some of that money will line the pockets of corrupt politicians, as in every country, however, it still is a great option for any tourist. I would prefer to pay 500 baht upon arrival for full health cover rather than 100-500k should I have an accident on a motor cycle or have a heart attack. This is a positive solution to an ongoing problem and I think most educated people would agree on this

Most educated people agree this is nothing but a rip-off scam to reap more money.

• Like 1

Most educated people agree this is nothing but a rip-off scam to reap more money.

really? Most educated people do not have a subjective, xenophobic opinion....but usually look at both sides of of a story. So what educated people are you talking about?

really? Most educated people do not have a subjective, xenophobic opinion....but usually look at both sides of of a story. So what educated people are you talking about?

Perhaps follow your own directions for the thread and you'll see.

....read and observe

First of all "bro"...I am not your "bro"!

Second of all: what does that have to do with anything?

Thirdly: I am a PAYING GUEST in this country and I pay more taxes than many Thais.

Fourth: as long as there is a little bit of freedom of speech left here, I take the right to complain or criticize political decisions.

Fifth: where do you come from, "bro"? the 1930's?

The vast MAJORITY of tourists come here with either a) a private travel insurance or cool.png enough money to pay a "normal" hospital- stay!

If something extraordinary happens in "my" country, a hospital has to take you, no matter if you have an insurance.

"My" country is not perfect and so isn't this one!

But continue to be thai'er than Thai!

...and talk about ignorance!

are you going to make a point soon rather than shout out your opinion with excessive exclamation marks?

Oh! Now you are also the grammar police!

Okay! Here! is! my! point!

IF this money goes into the health- system, we will finally see pigs fly!

And as I said before: most tourists have health insurance that covers for accidents or the likes in Thailand!

Most tourists will be charged for something they already have!

Via credit card or any other kind of insurance!

And again: I pay taxes here!

Not all Thais do!

So if I finance the infrastructure for these people, why should Thailand not take care for THE FEW(!!!!!!!) tourists, who have insufficient coverage?

Right now, when I travel into Thailand entry is free. If I go to the US or Cambodia or Vietnam etc etc etc, I have to pay a fee at least equal to (usually higher than) 500bt. Yeah, they may have different labels for the fees, but I'd rather pay a fee designed to offset the medical costs of foreigners who need aid during their travel than more amorphous 'visa fees' or the Esta required on entry to the US (which is used to promote tourism!).

Perhaps follow your own directions for the thread and you'll see.

....read and observe

does anyone have anything objective to say and perhaps contribute to the topic in a positive way? Rather than put all of Thai society and culture down?

As an educated man I do not formulate an opinion from the comments of a few individuals. Most educated Thais that I know would never say it's business, but "necessary", as the general consensus for Thai ppl now is, "why, as a tax-payer do I need to foot the bill for tourists health insurance?".

I have been married for almost 10 years to an educated Thai lady with 2 wonderful kids. Her opinion is important to me and she will not include something so trivial as corruption into a debate about a health insurance scheme that obviously benefits all. Thus, my opinion is objective not subjectively based on the opinions most of the parrots here

The examples you provide only support a subjective opinion. Objective opinion is based upon facts, not the sampling of some local nationals subjective opinions. As far as I am aware the facts, in relation to this topic, for the scheme have yet to be finalised and published.

I worked with government and corporate world educated professionals for 30 years & not once did I ever hear the the term 'Bro" being used either in business or private conversations, even by US nationals. Out of curiosity I looked up the definition of Bro "An alpha male idiot" amongst other not so complimentary examples. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bro

Edited by simple1

So if a Thai has an accident in another country should the first concern be there wealth or health. another crack pot idea from another short term politician. Most Hospitals in tourist areas are private Hospitals and are far from cheap.

Yes you should not travel anywhere without valid health insurance, but charging 100% of tourists (many of them having health insurance) for 1% or less that need medical attention is ridiculous.

Most of the money would disappear setting up am and collecting the fees.

Why not promote yourself as a nation that cares and takes care of its single biggest revenue earner Tourism.

You seem to think we owe you for letting us come here, are we such a burden?

Edited by waynerooney
  • Like 1