Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

Just when the immigration queues got a bit shorter, they create a new queue for people to exchange foreign currency into Baht so that a fine can be paid in another queue prior to entering the immigration queue. Sounds simple enough to me.

I wonder what happens to people that have travel insurance?

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...the country could earn as much as Bt10 billion from the extra fee, he said. This money could be sent to the Finance Ministry and a specially assigned committee could allocate it to related agencies including the Public Health Ministry, which spends up to Bt300 million for tourists' healthcare per year. He said if his ministry was given this money, it could allocate up to Bt300,000 per head in life-and-death emergency cases as well as buy more medical tools and supplies.

They can easily save the 300million for healthcare for tourist by simply closing the borders to foreigners.

Would save them a lot more millions by not needing immigration officers, embassies, jail cells, TAT, tourist police etc.pp.

Same quality idea as the plan to stop foreigner aged 50 plus not being allowed to marry Thai ladies.

Or the desire for "quality tourism" without the need for offering them quality.

Quality ministries indeed.

wai.gif

I chatted to a few Thai's about the surcharge on foreigners, about knowingly charging any one of us more than the Thai's, wondering how this is possible in a culture so apparently sensitive to a faith where the foundation is on giving and receiving, on 'cause and effect' and the concept of what you put out there is what comes back to you.

Needless to say that their blatant focus on money, on "getting", simply affirms a lack of self acceptance. The response I got was some distorted idea that this is separate from their faith, that ' ..they see it as business, if you look like you are richer, they see it as business to charge you more than the other person ..."

These people, they will never give up.

Few years ago they did have the Thailand Elite card, a visa that allow you for the mere sum of 1 million baht to buy a 5 years visa.

You still have the 90 day report and 100K/ year fee. But but but you get free spas and golf course laugh.png

They planned to attract 1 million brainless rich foreignercheesy.gif they fell by one millioncheesy.gif

Thaskin in 2004 : "its the duty of every thai citizen to take as much money they can from tourists"

they should call this thai insurance : "1 farang, 1 buffallo"

Edited by Bender

Just when the immigration queues got a bit shorter, they create a new queue for people to exchange foreign currency into Baht so that a fine can be paid in another queue prior to entering the immigration queue. Sounds simple enough to me.

I wonder what happens to people that have travel insurance?

You would be a fool to purchase travel insurance prior to travelling to Thailand, a waste of money if you are going to pay again for the same service. 500 baht in Thailand is far better and cheaper than you could buy from a rip off insurance company back home. Just think with the money you save by not purchasing travel insurance. You can get totally pissed and hire a motor cycle knowing that you are covered for medical expenses.

• Like 2

I really can't believe what I'm hearing here...a huge amount of sycophants on this sight complimenting each other with continuous banality. Can one of you name a country that doesn't charge for its healthcare? Should the Thai public be responsible for paying the bills of drunken tourists getting into fist fights over some fickle issue? turn up at a hospital without a cent to pay for the cost of medical care? No western country provides free healthcare, with the exception of a few EU countries, and the Thai government has the right to charge visitors a fee for healthcare rather than be a burden to hard working tax payers. To put it another way and Irregardless of the corruption, for which no country is immune, the Thai government has every right to charge a fee for short stay tourists coming to Thailand, whose only purpose is to get drunk and get some tail...

On that note do any of you have Thai spouses? Do you treat your partners with as much disdain and disrespect? You all live in Thailand so stop winning about the imperfections and show some respect for the country in which you're 'guests'. All of you live here so how about contributing positively rather continue to put this country down....the majority of Thais are good people who happily share their country with a smile.

Lastly, if you all went home would you have the same quality of life that you receive here? Why are you here if these issues make you so miserable that you feel the need to cripple your hosts with decrepit rhetoric, which to say the least, borders on the absurd.

I have lived here for almost 20 years - if I had my way I would have you all thrown out for such rhetoric. Yes you're not Thai nationals and therefore can't be prosecuted for treason, but in most countries if you had this attitude you would be shot, beaten or jailed for such discourse. Think about that before making subjective and ridiculous statements

Edited by maxism

It's a stupid idea.

A far more useful one both for the Thai government and farang would be the following:

Insist that all who enter Thailand have medical insurance for the duration of their stay - to be proved on arrival - then:

1 month tourist visa - free on arrival

(this takes care of most tourists) - expires when leaving Thailand

3 month tourist visa - 2,500 baht on arrival

(It would cost 1,900 to get a month extension to a 2 month visa at immigration anyway so just charge more and get 3 months upfront without the immigration extension hassle) - allow holders to enter and re-enter Thailand as often as they like in this 3 month period - that's most backpacker/travelers taken care of.

6 month long stay visa - 5,000 baht on arrival

Cheaper than a 1,900 extension, plus a 1,900 border run and a second 1,900 extension. All the money goes to the Thai government instead of to the Cambodian visa department and the people running the border crossing vans - allow holders to enter and re-enter Thailand a set number of times in this 6 month period so holidays and trips are possible without voiding the visa

12 month long stay visa - 10,000 baht on arrival

The Thai government knows perfectly well that there are many long stay farang in the LOS. So why not just admit to it and monetize? To stay 12 months (as a Brit) you would need 3 visas, 4 immigration extensions, 2 border runs including Cambodian visas, then to leave Thailand to go to Laos, pay for Laos visa, flight out and back, new Thai visa - allow holders to enter and re-enter Thailand a set number of times in this 12 month period so holidays and trips and possible without voiding the visa

I WOULD HAPPILY PAY 10,000 BAHT UP FRONT IF IT MEANT I COULD LEGALLY STAY IN THAILAND AND NEVER HAVE TO DO A BORDER RUN OR IMMIGRATION EXTENSION EVER AGAIN!

• Like 1

The only way I can see this work is

1. You already have a travel insurance , you show your insurance to the immigration and you don't have to pay any extra fees.

2. You arrive Thailand without any insurance and pay the fees. Then you are entitled to free health care at government hospitals.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

whistling.gif I can see the advertisement now.

A nice looking Vietnamese woman in a bikini on a white sand beach.

The caption will read,

"Vietnam ,,, we have beautiful women and clean beaches also.

And we don't charge you a Bulls--t health fee to come here"

Won't TAT just love have to explain that to 'big brother" in Dubai

wai2.gif

This is not world first.

Many country have such law.

Some even force you to exchange x dollars per day to their currency.

What countries are these "many"? No place I've visited. I'm not doubting you but which countries have such a tourist unfriendly law?

No doubt this is yet another hare brained idea that will die the death it deserves.

I remember the East European countries did do this in one or a other way.

If you did cross from West to Eest Germany you must exchange West German marks for East German marks on a 1:1 base. The actual base was something 1 W-Germen Mark were 120 E-German Mark.

In Poland you did have to exchange money for the days you stayed in Poland. Also for a inflated exchange rate. Russia hat something similar.

But now we talk over 25 years ago and all countries i know did stop this because it hurt the tourist in-flow.

It's a stupid idea.

A far more useful one both for the Thai government and farang would be the following:

Insist that all who enter Thailand have medical insurance for the duration of their stay - to be proved on arrival - then:

1 month tourist visa - free on arrival

(this takes care of most tourists) - expires when leaving Thailand

3 month tourist visa - 2,500 baht on arrival

(It would cost 1,900 to get a month extension to a 2 month visa at immigration anyway so just charge more and get 3 months upfront without the immigration extension hassle) - allow holders to enter and re-enter Thailand as often as they like in this 3 month period - that's most backpacker/travelers taken care of.

6 month long stay visa - 5,000 baht on arrival

Cheaper than a 1,900 extension, plus a 1,900 border run and a second 1,900 extension. All the money goes to the Thai government instead of to the Cambodian visa department and the people running the border crossing vans - allow holders to enter and re-enter Thailand a set number of times in this 6 month period so holidays and trips are possible without voiding the visa

12 month long stay visa - 10,000 baht on arrival

The Thai government knows perfectly well that there are many long stay farang in the LOS. So why not just admit to it and monetize? To stay 12 months (as a Brit) you would need 3 visas, 4 immigration extensions, 2 border runs including Cambodian visas, then to leave Thailand to go to Laos, pay for Laos visa, flight out and back, new Thai visa - allow holders to enter and re-enter Thailand a set number of times in this 12 month period so holidays and trips and possible without voiding the visa

I WOULD HAPPILY PAY 10,000 BAHT UP FRONT IF IT MEANT I COULD LEGALLY STAY IN THAILAND AND NEVER HAVE TO DO A BORDER RUN OR IMMIGRATION EXTENSION EVER AGAIN!

Finally an objective answer

Sadly, another example of a Thai Politician opening his mouth before engaging brain. If they are to bring out a new scheme, and let's face it, at the end of the day it is up to them, it should be well thought out and include all the pros and cons of the scheme. Instead we have someone fishing around for ideas and annoying lots of people in to the bargain. If Thailand is going to cover all tourists with medical treatment once this scheme is up and running, presumably it should be advertised throughout the World and tourists will not need to buy their own policies? Good bye Bangkok Hospitals and the like? Hopefully there is going to be some sort of clarification on this soon - or a retraction maybe?

• Like 1

The caption will read,

wai2.gif

Something like this :P

post-188855-0-58584000-1382071427_thumb.

"the country could earn as much as Bt10 billion from the extra fee, he said. This money could be sent to the Finance Ministry and a specially assigned committee could allocate it to related agencies including the Public Health Ministry, which spends up to Bt300 million for tourists' healthcare per year."

.... and the other THB 9.7 Billion (with a "B") could be used for .....???

and why does the phrase "specially assigned committee" not fill me with confidence?

If those 500THB= $17 US will cover all expenses with any medical/accident problem you may have.....I agree..Even if the money probably will go to a politician pocket like in any other country....

Edited by anugoon

The caption will read,

wai2.gif

Something like this tongue.png

For a tourist, now that is worth paying an 'entry fee' to get into!!!!!

I chatted to a few Thai's about the surcharge on foreigners, about knowingly charging any one of us more than the Thai's, wondering how this is possible in a culture so apparently sensitive to a faith where the foundation is on giving and receiving, on 'cause and effect' and the concept of what you put out there is what comes back to you.

Needless to say that their blatant focus on money, on "getting", simply affirms a lack of self acceptance. The response I got was some distorted idea that this is separate from their faith, that ' ..they see it as business, if you look like you are richer, they see it as business to charge you more than the other person ..."

You formulate this opinion by asking "a few Thais"? I doubt that any Thai person would say (re requesting furangs pay for health care upon arrival) would say it's about "business" Edited by maxism

If those 500THB= $17 US will cover all expenses with any medical/accident problem you may have.....I agree..Even if the money probably will go to a politician pocket like in any other country....

right! As explained more or less in my post on page 8 and the point most here seem to be ignorant to

.....10 Billion minus 300 Million equals............

.....this gang of !@#$%^&*( will stop at nothing.....

...rape the country....rape the tourists now before they have even arrived.....

.....I have been to the hospital 1 time in 10 years......for a minor sprain.....

This latest scam brings another new meaning to Pay to Play eh?

Fing BS is what I call it.

It's a win / win for tourists and expats and I'm all for it 500 baht for health insurance compared to 20K baht for 12 months is a great idea. Might put a huge financial drain on the Thai Health system when tourists and expats stop taking out their personal insurance and opt for the new thai scheme tho. If Thailand want to hug us, love us and take care of us with this wonderful idea we should not oppose it.

You're all guests here in this country and would do well to remember that...ignorantly speaking of corruption in Thailand etc (read my post page 8). No country is immune to corruption - in the west it's more discrete but it does exist everywhere no on can dispute this. So if any of you here are perfect and have never been 'corrupted' I would really like to know....

This latest scam brings another new meaning to Pay to Play eh?

Fing BS is what I call it.

It's a win / win for tourists and expats and I'm all for it 500 baht for health insurance compared to 20K baht for 12 months is a great idea. Might put a huge financial drain on the Thai Health system when tourists and expats stop taking out their personal insurance and opt for the new thai scheme tho. If Thailand want to hug us, love us and take care of us with this wonderful idea we should not oppose it.
yes!!! Great point and very objective...,there are some intelligent people here after all

I really can't believe what I'm hearing here...a huge amount of sycophants on this sight complimenting each other with continuous banality. Can one of you name a country that doesn't charge for its healthcare? Should the Thai public be responsible for paying the bills of drunken tourists getting into fist fights over some fickle issue? turn up at a hospital without a cent to pay for the cost of medical care? No western country provides free healthcare, with the exception of a few EU countries, and the Thai government has the right to charge visitors a fee for healthcare rather than be a burden to hard working tax payers. To put it another way and Irregardless of the corruption, for which no country is immune, the Thai government has every right to charge a fee for short stay tourists coming to Thailand, whose only purpose is to get drunk and get some tail...

On that note do any of you have Thai spouses? Do you treat your partners with as much disdain and disrespect? You all live in Thailand so stop winning about the imperfections and show some respect for the country in which you're 'guests'. All of you live here so how about contributing positively rather continue to put this country down....the majority of Thais are good people who happily share their country with a smile.

Lastly, if you all went home would you have the same quality of life that you receive here? Why are you here if these issues make you so miserable that you feel the need to cripple your hosts with decrepit rhetoric, which to say the least, borders on the absurd.

I have lived here for almost 20 years - if I had my way I would have you all thrown out for such rhetoric. Yes you're not Thai nationals and therefore can't be prosecuted for treason, but in most countries if you had this attitude you would be shot, beaten or jailed for such discourse. Think about that before making subjective and ridiculous statements

Are you not feeling well?

I heard a lot of cr@p here and I am willing to happily ignore the "if you don't like it- go home"- cr@p, but treason?

Because we criticize a political decission, that will NOT help anybody, except the usual suspects and line their pockets with money?

If I went home, yes I would have the same quality of life!

Minus the good weather, but plus being treated like a 100% human being and not some kind of somehow- necessary pest, thank you!

Drunken tourists, that get into fistfights and show up with no money at a hospital?

How about culturally interested travellers, who get crippled by an accident with a derailled train or a bus, driven by a monkey on ya-baa?

What about a woman, who had her back ripped open by a boat- propeller of an idiot, who ran her over while she was snorkeling in a clearly marked area, that was off- limit for him?

I am working in tourism for more than 20 years now and I can count the times, I had problems with drunks in Thailand on one hand!

But just a few days ago, my company had to deal with whole group of tourists, who were almost beheaded, because a bus- driver had no idea what he was doing!

All of the above mentioned people had health- insurance that well covered for their medicine and hospital stay!

I myself had an accident with a scooter a few years ago: I paid every satang of my medical costs!

everyone with a sound mind knows the risks before coming here - I have no doubt that you did...so your point is what?