Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

Typical Thai mentality. Make others pay for their lack of ability and transparency. Make the visitors pay for coming to a country where the transport accident statistics are horrendous, beaches are polluted ,inland water ways are simply open sewers, crops are loaded with pesticide residue and hygiene standard are abysmal. The above conditions are all due to the inadequacy of the Government to develop this country. Yes indeed , anyone coming here without adequate health insurance is playing Russian roulette. Thailand the Hub of money grabbing.

• Like 2

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is not world first.

Many country have such law.

Some even force you to exchange x dollars per day to their currency.

Concrete examples please, genius.

There are none.

Not one country is applying a fee to arriving tourists for health care.

Nobody.

The hub of innovation.

What countries are these "many"? No place I've visited.

No doubt this is yet another hare brained idea that will die the death it deserves.

Laos, for one, and it's fairly expensive.

False.

Laos doesn't charge arriving tourists a fee for health care.

No country in the world does that.

Thailand is facing the future with a nasty attitudinal adjustment problem......are the self-serving, money grabbing, internecine bickering, xenophobic, ignorant ruling elite going to die out and be replaced by those in touch with the rest of the world or will they just resort - as they always have in the past - to nepotism to perpetuate the system?

Edited by wilcopops

If they want to raise more cash from 'foreigners' then why not offer, for 500 baht, the chance to extend the current, land border 15 day entry to 30 days. I am sure that there would be many takers for this and it would be simple to provide a system where the visitor purchases a ticket for 500 baht, which is then given to the immigration official prior to providing the stamp to enter into the country. Easy money!!!

Let's get the foriegners to bail us out of the shitty economic situation we have created for ourselves. Absoutely disgraceful. Maybe foriegn countries should start charging entry fees for 'Thais only' when they arrive in their country. beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

Many think the thai economy is BOOMING! accounting for the low numbers of women who provide comfort service to the many fine GENTLEMENS who flock to thailand for the culture...............lol.

What countries are these "many"? No place I've visited. I'm not doubting you but which countries have such a tourist unfriendly law?

No doubt this is yet another hare brained idea that will die the death it deserves.

Laos, for one, and it's fairly expensive.

Laos, the porst nation is ASAEAN is charging for a VISA on arrival. Thailand is a signatory to "no Visa" agreements with 43 nations - it looks to me if they are simply trying to get round that and charge all the same.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

I am going to ask the airport authorities if I can set up a little booth at a strategic place and make tourists pay me 100 Baht when they arrive. Damned I'm going to get rich!!! what a great idea, but I will ask for a monopoly on it so others don't copy me! In the request I will say a part of the cash will go to.... ???... "something that sounds good"... This is going to work... at last after working my balls off for 50 years I'm actually going to make some real money.

Honestly i am quite surprise by the high number of gullible people on TV.

So to sum up:

thai govt came with the big BS that tourists are a burden of 100 millions baht to the country, so they should make a new tax.

Wait a second: do you really think that you can walk away from a thai hospital without paying your bills?

do you really think you can leave wihout police chasing you? Do you think you can owe them one single baht?

I am really surprise by the number of brainless people around here. Listen if you dont pay, they can easily found a way to make you pay... after all.

Who pays the police to chase you down when you stick the locals with your medical bills? Who pays for the road that they chase you down? What if you die in the hospital? Who pays for your medical bills, and who pays to get rid of your sorry corpse? How do they "easily" make a dead person pay? How do they collect from all the people who dive off balconies in Pattaya? Someone has to scrape the pavement, investigate, cremate and so on. Should it be a Thai earning 300B a day? As the rest of us are brainless, perhaps you could explain.............

If they want to raise more cash from 'foreigners' then why not offer, for 500 baht, the chance to extend the current, land border 15 day entry to 30 days. I am sure that there would be many takers for this and it would be simple to provide a system where the visitor purchases a ticket for 500 baht, which is then given to the immigration official prior to providing the stamp to enter into the country. Easy money!!!

to take it another step. Sell visas in increments of $100 per month. If you cant afford $100 a month to stay long time in thailand-just too bad! I think thai is leaving a lot of money on the table with their current visa system. Retirement visa should cost a lot more than whatever it is now.

example. You want stay 13 months you pay $1300. If thing go slow they can offer a free month for every 12 months purchased. The famous thai SPECIAL.

A compulsary healthinsurance would solve the problem. Same as we demand Thai citizens (and others) have before entering into the EC.

I don't think this applies to the UK, as when I tool my wife there last year, this was not a requirement. However I did have to guarantee that ANY costs encountered by her would be payed by myself.

This is not world first.

What countries are these "many"? No place I've visited. I'm not doubting you but which countries have such a tourist unfriendly law?

The 30 day visa on arrival in Indonesia costs $25 US. I don't have a huge problem with Thais charging 500B. Tourists who stay in Thailand for 30 days use roads, infrastructure and so on. Why should Thais pay for that? Not all of them benefit from tourism. Some have seen prices rise because of farang.

I'd like to see the money well spent--that's an issue with any government. How about spending some of it to clean up the environment!! Proper public washrooms on beaches would be excellent too.

You are aware, that tourists bring money into the country, aren't you?!

And I would guess, they bring more money in, than they cause "harm" to roads or pavements.

They "create" jobs f.e. in the hospitality- industry!

Some have seen prices rise because of farang?

Yep...those pesky foreigners again!

Responsible for all things bad in Thailand!

Indonesia charges $25 USD cash to enter and be issued with a 30 day visa on arrival.

Hint: This isn't a visa.

Absurd the number of posts lamely attempting to feebly justify this. bah.gif

Well in a lame and feeble attempt to justify this, I'll just say the 25USD on arrival feel for Indonesia is nothing but a "tax on entry", if you don't pay you don't get in.

Call it what you want, the Thai 1500 baht "tax on entry" will give me 30 days entry into the Kingdom.

So if you like to split hairs, go ahead.

the fact is they don't have the smarts to make revenue, they rely on massive import duties that make thailand noncompetitive in the market place they just don't get the fact that a consumer driven economy is the way to go but that requires cooperation something there not to good at so this is just one more example of there lack of innovation shame! and yes we all know were the cash will end up.

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned.

What's to stop tourists claiming a two day stay to pay 60baht but then stay a month? Will they stamp people in for one, two or three days only? Will you have to keep the receipt that immigration officers will check on departure? I assume that this element is so as not to put off transit passengers with a very short stay who still add to the inflated tourist statistics.

An extra 500 baht per entry may put off a few of the perpetual visa runners.

It will also make Thailand appear more of a third world country as it's usually the developing countries that impose visas on arrival (though, before I am shot down, I know this isn't a visa per se but it is pretty much the same to the tourist).

There will probably be a cabinet reshuffle before his gets any further and it'll be forgotten about.

Bit by bit Thailand adds these "little" extras - fees for using ATMs, re airport fee, extra costs on visas, and re-entry permits, work permits etc etc....in the end they are presenting an image to the world....not an image I would be proud of....

But "some" people are always going to pay because they will always pay as much as it takes for SEX, so Thailand wont be seeing many families, real sightseers or business people, but they will still be left with lots of sex tourists, because they are the only ones that will pay "whatever it takes". I can just imagine it now... plane loads of obese, drunk, dribbling, unshaven, dirty sex tourists and pedophiles. That is what the Thai Government is blatantly asking for.

Reasonable people coming here with their families for a good honest holiday wont exist as these types of people will refuse to be RIPPED OFF.

This is not world first.

First, the TV newsletter announcement of this, "Kerrr-ching!: foreigners to be charged fee to enter Thailand;" is not true...at least not yet.

Second, one problem is that you can estimnate the amount of new income from the new fees, but those estimates are likely to be very wrong, because you cannot measure the income lost from people who will no longer visit Thailand because of the new fees. Per some sources the average tourist spends aboiut B800 per day, That initial B500 fee might drive away many tourists. So if you chase away one average tourist you need to get at least two additional average tourists or the equivalent to compensate. If too many tourists are dissuaded from coming to Thailand by this fee, it will hurt those in the tourist industry that serve those tourists.

Will it drive away any business people who find it more convenient to get a a tourist visa than a business visa for short visits? They are likely to spend a lot more than B800 per day.

Will this be seen as a barrier to entry when the AEC is activated?

Neither article in the thread provide4s any justification for making these fees. Are toiurists not paying their medical bills? If not, why not?

Third, even if other countries do it, it does not mean it is good for this country, and it does not necessarily mean that it is good for the countries that are already doing it. . You cannot copnsider only what you might gain, but must also consider what you might lose.

• Like 1

Indonesia charges $25 USD cash to enter and be issued with a 30 day visa on arrival.

Hint: This isn't a visa.

Absurd the number of posts lamely attempting to feebly justify this. bah.gif

Well in a lame and feeble attempt to justify this, I'll just say the 25USD on arrival feel for Indonesia is nothing but a "tax on entry", if you don't pay you don't get in.

Call it what you want, the Thai 1500 baht "tax on entry" will give me 30 days entry into the Kingdom.

So if you like to split hairs, go ahead.

"split hairs" ... biggrin.pnglaugh.png

What's wrong with calling an apple an apple and a tractor a tractor?

Even Thailand is doing that and not feebly attempting to justify it by citing visa fees elsewhere.

Lame, indeed.

rolleyes.gif

This is not world first.

Concrete examples please, genius.
Indonesia, $25US for 30 day visa, even more to extend. You're welcome.
ASEAN passport holders, no US$25

Holders of Visa issued outside, no US$25

Holders of APEC card, no US$25

Thailand AU$45 per entry source

http://www.thaiconsulatemelbourne.com/tourist-visa.php

No need then to take out extra travel insurance when visiting Thailand.

Paid on arrival so why pay twice. Pity the poor bastards who arrive and are awaiting a connecting flight to another country they will be hit with the fees imposed just in case they get sick from eating the food at the airport whilst awaiting their flights.

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread so this may have been mentioned.

What's to stop tourists claiming a two day stay to pay 60baht but then stay a month? Will they stamp people in for one, two or three days only? Will you have to keep the receipt that immigration officers will check on departure? I assume that this element is so as not to put off transit passengers with a very short stay who still add to the inflated tourist statistics.

They could pull out their old collection of different colored marker pens that they used to use to write in passports with to record the number of entries and days in Thailand.

Excellent Idea !! 500 Bht and Tourist then get free medical !!! clap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

agree excellent, much cheaper than purchasing expensive travel insurance. 1 year visa and covered for medical expenses for only 500 baht, that's a bargain.

Just like buying a ticket to the carnival.

Yes but you have to keep buying the ticket.

To be fair it did not mention people with a long stay visa already such as retirement, Business and education.

I did get a laugh out of this comment

"This money could be sent to the Finance Ministry and a specially assigned committee could allocate it to related agencies"

In short they don't know what to do with the money just get it. Give some to the medical field OK but what else

I did not know the rice scam was an agency. Or politicians pockets were agency's.

10_1_136.gif