Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

And does this apply to visitors from other 'Asean' nations? If so the best thing those nations can do is charge every Thai tourist double such fees to enter their country.

This yet another ill thought out scam to raise money but will end up as another nail in the coffin of Thai tourism in the long run.

• Like 1

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some time ago, there was a thread about the cost of treating foreigners, if I recall correctly. Part of the problem is farangs who are staying in Thailand and then become ill and end up in the hospital for expensive medical attention. Many do not have money or insurance.

The other problem is the many road accidents, including buses, vans and motorcycles. I am not sure who picks up the cost for some of these.

Ur right about the other thread , but when i read it then my thought went to the doctors that may have put some of the cash collected from foreignors in there own pocket , and reported it as none payed bill by a farang .

But maybe i was wrong thinking that .

I would love to pay the 500 if it would be used for improving the government hospitals .

Or raise the paychecks for the doc's and nurses .

It must be very frustrating for them when they can't help a patient just because they not have the worldwide available equipment .

their is no visa fee for most tourists since they get a 30 day transit visa free. Many countries charge a fee (laos, Cambodia and others) so why not just make it a charge of say 2000 baht and include free entry to national parks. That way visitors will consider it a bargain. It wont deter anyone from visiting. However the real question is will money go to be used for real goos use or more likely like most things here taken by pigs in trough

Most of the money will go into the pockets of PTP cronies

I am afraid your right, then when thats not enough they will dream up more ways to fleece tourist and ex-pats, to help balance the budget. Then one day they will find they have priced themselves out of the tourist industry like they have done with the agricultural industry.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

This is the most stupid, pointless plan I have ever heard of; what's with these ministers, how do they come up with such garbage? If the government wants more revenue from foreign tourists, here's a thought: introduce or re-introduce a visa requirement for most foreigners (although maybe a visa-on-arrival should be implemented, much like Indonesia did a few years ago, otherwise it would inconvenience a great number of visitors) and then the problem is solved without offending anyone. Although it's convenient to be able to enter Thailand without a visa, it wouldn't deter me or most other visitors if everyone had to pay say 500-1000 Baht for a visa-on-arrival or otherwise a visa in advance. Besides, Thais can't enter Australia, Canada, the USA, New Zealand or most European countries without a visa yet it allows citizens of all those countries to enter Thailand visa free for short periods. Therefore we shouldn't complain. But some kind of foreigner "tax" is racist and just plain stupid. A visa-on-arrival system however, is fine as every country has the right to determine whether a foreigner needs a visa to enter their country and if so, how much to charge. In the case of Cambodia and Laos, it's largely for revenue raising purposes, but that's not unreasonable. Thailand needs to carefully consider this plan and better not implement it, otherwise many visitors will stop coming, and that includes the Russians, Indians, Chinese, Vietnamese and Ukrainians, amongst others.

• Like 1

This would be in addition to the increases in 'Passenger service charges " being proposed and argued for by Airports of Thailand .

-International to be raised to 800bt and domestic up 50% to 150bt .

Any other tax on foreign tourism must , therefore , come under a different guise ....Hence the lame excuse of medical insurance ,or lack of , and the supposed burden on Thai hospitals , Pathetic !

Do you get a refund on the way out if you dont use the medical services?? A joke of any idea, I have travelled the world extensively for the past 30+ years and never been asked in any country to directly pay up front for potential medical treatment. Simple solution no travel/medical insurance no visa or flight ticket issued.

Impulse your comments are laughable!

Look at your airplane ticket. Add up all the taxes and fees above and beyond the base airfare. Then keep in mind the fee for departure from BKK has been 700 baht since 2007. Adding another 500 baht to the cost of an airplane ticket sucks, but inflation is part of life.

Whether they just call it an adjustment in the departure tax, or an increase in visa fees, a health care fee, or a homeland security fee, doesn't really matter in the scheme of things. It's just another tax.

It's getting more expensive to come to, and stay in Thailand. Yet tourist numbers are going up pretty much every year. For every disgruntled westerner, there are a half dozen Chinese and Indians just crossing the threshold to become world tourists.

The way I read it, they're proposing to add something like $1-2 per day to the cost of a visit to Thailand. I refuse to get too excited about that. My food costs went up many times that just in the past year. My commuting costs went up 10x that a few years back in the US. My rent here has gone up more than that much in the past year.

Bad news- It's only going to get worse and more expensive, just like food, fuel and all the other things we spend our money on. I can accept it and move on, or I can choose to stew in the misery of reality. I know which way I'm trying to go.

Mmmmm Sounds like your stewing on the misery then! For me it makes no odds, I have no need to look at the detailed breakdown of a ticket, my company pays anyway. Neither do I worry about the money, but it is the principle of trying to put on an additional fee to foreign visitors, many of whom are already covered, and lie that it will go to healthcare rather than line another part of the government's pockets.

Honestly i am quite surprise by the high number of gullible people on TV.
So to sum up:
thai govt came with the big BS that tourists are a burden of 100 millions baht to the country, so they should make a new tax.
Wait a second: do you really think that you can walk away from a thai hospital without paying your bills?
do you really think you can leave wihout police chasing you? Do you think you can owe them one single baht?

post-156228-0-19091100-1340174438_thumb.
post-156228-0-62160500-1340174455_thumb.

I am really surprise by the number of brainless people around here. Listen if you dont pay, they can easily found a way to make you pay... after all.

Edited by Bender

Cambodian border not the only minefield...

Let's see... upon arrival the hapless first timer happens to stroll into one of the grossly overpriced DF shops is accused of shoplifting(with the judiciary now having a court in the airport perhaps if extremely lucky a fine)then he proceeds through the lengthy emigration process.in the arrivals area he may well be offered a limo to Central Bangkok(they bring him to Pattaya anyway-at great cost)Thai customs may demand more money for the extra 20 cigarettes he's carrying(200 limit but hapless tourist has a pack of cowboys in his breast pocket)As he enters deeper into the minefield in arrivals area he may be accosted by more plainclothes men going through his bags.they show no badges but claim to be such an such.At this stage deep in the shouting begins(no not explosions its not an airport takeover.in the stifling night heat the inelegant men that are bkk taxi drivers now pitch the by now rather hard boiled tourist)how much lighter his pockets now...to this they want to add another 500B.Welcome to Thailand sucker...

A compulsary healthinsurance would solve the problem. Same as we demand Thai citizens (and others) have before entering into the EC.

Really ! and since when was this and how does this affect people who through age cannot get insured, i think you are talking out of your a%%4whistling.gifcoffee1.gif

• Like 1

Cambodian border not the only minefield...

Let's see... upon arrival the hapless first timer happens to stroll into one of the grossly overpriced DF shops is accused of shoplifting(with the judiciary now having a court in the airport perhaps if extremely lucky a fine)then he proceeds through the lengthy emigration process.in the arrivals area he may well be offered a limo to Central Bangkok(they bring him to Pattaya anyway-at great cost)Thai customs may demand more money for the extra 20 cigarettes he's carrying(200 limit but hapless tourist has a pack of cowboys in his breast pocket)As he enters deeper into the minefield in arrivals area he may be accosted by more plainclothes men going through his bags.they show no badges but claim to be such an such.At this stage deep in the shouting begins(no not explosions its not an airport takeover.in the stifling night heat the inelegant men that are bkk taxi drivers now pitch the by now rather hard boiled tourist)how much lighter his pockets now...to this they want to add another 500B.Welcome to Thailand sucker...

sounds like you hate the place?

Why come here?

• Like 1

This is not world first.

Many country have such law.

Some even force you to exchange x dollars per day to their currency.

What countries are these "many"? No place I've visited. I'm not doubting you but which countries have such a tourist unfriendly law?

No doubt this is yet another hare brained idea that will die the death it deserves.

Dont know if you have been to the US in the last few years - foreigners have to apply for a "Travel Authorisation" - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

Just seems a fee under another name. Thailand probably reckons that if the US can do it - why dont they?

• Like 2

How many different ways can one bite the hand that feeds you? Perhaps that is unfair because it's certainly not the only (albeit, arguably, one of the most important) hands that feed. So, to be more kind, it seems obvious that if the country keeps choosing to shoot itself in the foot, soon enough it will be crippled.

Since they want to charge tourists for the health costs incurred by some non-paying tourists, wouldn't it make more sense to apply some surcharge to the hotel tax(if there is one and if it is strictly collected) to cover this? The TAT should be the first agency to try to snuff this policy out or at least find a more discrete way to charge tourists for it.

• Like 1

What complete and total garbage. Foreigners don't cost the Thai medical system one baht as they will not provide any service not paid for. If you don't have money for treatment you will die in the parking lot, even at a government hospital. This is just another way to rip off tourists without providing anything in return.

they give "us" their women...

I have come to the conclusion that in the Thai government there are department and personal

specially allocated to come up with ideas how to bilk, milk and squeeze more money out of

foreigners, otherwise I'm at a loss to explain all those fakakte hare brain schemes that come

out of their mouth every Monday and Thursday...

Since they want to charge tourists for the health costs incurred by some non-paying tourists, wouldn't it make more sense to apply some surcharge to the hotel tax(if there is one and if it is strictly collected) to cover this? The TAT should be the first agency to try to snuff this policy out or at least find a more discrete way to charge tourists for it.

increasing the farang price for national park, museum, etc. then they finally have a "good" reason why there are 2 prices ;-)

the counter can proudly state: includes HEALTH tax.