Vietnam

The information by "tinhead" is wrong be careful.

You can aplay as much you want 3 month visa or alternative extend when you are in the country.

A 5 year excemtion you can get if you go married with a vietnamese, otherwise only dream.

At the moment the only organisation as I will link can manage you a 6 month multiple visa which you can extent to 3 by 3 month.

Have a look here you get many answer http://www.vietnamvisacorp.com/faqs.html

http://www.vietnamonline.com/az/permanent-residence-application.html

Vietnam don't know retirement visa etc. and the visa fees are much more expensive then in Thailand.

Myself I will moe next month forever to Vietnam and know how hard is the nut to open!!

If tinhead is sure what he say he shoule show the "text from immigration" of what he say and not make run blind the people in a private disaster !!!

No limitation. After three months, you can eve apply for a five year exemption.

Yes, totally wrong!!!! 5-year exemptions are if you are married to a Vietnamese but even them you cannot stay longer than 3 months at a time. Unlike tinhead this is from personal knowledge as it is exactly the visa I used to have. I now live in Cambodia and have no problem obtaining a 6-months, multiple-entry, visa here. However, I do believe rules have changed just this week but I am not sure in how far this affects visas as I have not actually seen the new degree yet.

Yes, totally wrong!!!! 5-year exemptions are if you are married to a Vietnamese but even them you cannot stay longer than 3 months at a time. Unlike tinhead this is from personal knowledge as it is exactly the visa I used to have. I now live in Cambodia and have no problem obtaining a 6-months, multiple-entry, visa here. However, I do believe rules have changed just this week but I am not sure in how far this affects visas as I have not actually seen the new degree yet.

yes hanno as you say, you can't stay longer then 3 month (I travel ti Vietnam too since 4 years at all ca. 25 time). If you have a 6 month multiple (for this not exist in the past a single month visa) you had to do a visa run it mean leave the country for few hours. But I heard (I heard not proven and I will check next month) now you can report to the immigration instead run out each 3 month - 3 month not 90 days as in Thailand),

yes hanno as you say, you can't stay longer then 3 month (I travel ti Vietnam too since 4 years at all ca. 25 time). If you have a 6 month multiple (for this not exist in the past a single month visa) you had to do a visa run it mean leave the country for few hours. But I heard (I heard not proven and I will check next month) now you can report to the immigration instead run out each 3 month - 3 month not 90 days as in Thailand),

Again, depends. I never had to do visa runs in the 15 years I lived there but then I was legally employed. I did hear that the rules have been tightened (again); I will find out next week what the deal on that is.

• 4 weeks later...

I paid around 4500 baht ($150 US) at the Vietnam embassy in bangkok for a 3 month multiple entry visa in the first half of 2013, although I agreed to pick it up the next day becuase I was unaware of the normal service option.

Does anyone think I was overcharged?

Since I can't find the prices posted online or at the embassy I cant tell if I was scammed or not. The clerk a tthe embassy was not helpful as far as explaining fees, just spit out a price basically.

Edited by donniereadit

I paid around 4500 baht ($150 US) at the Vietnam embassy in bangkok for a 3 month multiple entry visa in the first half of 2013, although I agreed to pick it up the next day becuase I was unaware of the normal service option.

Does anyone think I was overcharged?

Since I can't find the prices posted online or at the embassy I cant tell if I was scammed or not. The clerk a tthe embassy was not helpful as far as explaining fees, just spit out a price basically.

you wasn't scammed but taken ... the price is for express service. I would say because most traveler use e-visa service the embassy in Bangkok haven't enough work to issue visa so they make you on a express way even you don't ask!!! It is true, all Vietnamese Embassy toke out the price list of his WEB to be flexible and catch you and others. Use e-Visa and all fees are clear !!!

Beside since 1st November it seem a new law exist and you can't extend your 3 month visa anymore, you have to leave the country and apply for a new visa! It seem they copy the Thai style which was the practice few years ago.