Got new passport just before extension of stay : how it went

Hello,

here a little report of what I did after I got my new passport from my embassy just before to do my yearly extension of stay for Thai spouse support at Bangkok.

So with the passport I got a letter from my embassy certifying they issued it and took a copy of it with me to the immigration office (the bill as well, but it was not necessary).

At the front desk, I asked one form for the extension and one form for the visa transfer from old passport to new one.

I filled both and got queued for L zone with 1 ticket for both procedures.

The lady officer took care of everything at same time ; once she was done, she asked me to copy the 2 new pages with all the transferred stamps and bring it to her (for the extension file), and that was done.

Simple enough, isn't it ? thumbsup.gif

Edited by manutoo

And was your new extension until one year from when the previous extension expired or one year from the date of this application?

In other words, since this was going in a new passport, did they carry forward from the extension expiry date in the old passport or start a new one year count?

Edited by Suradit69

Suradit69,

the next extension starts from when the previous one ends (it was like that for last one), so you're free to go whenever you can during the 30 days before your yearly extension ends (or even before if you have a long trip planned, according to what I read on these forums, but never experienced myself).

Suradit69,

the next extension starts from when the previous one ends (it was like that for last one), so you're free to go whenever you can during the 30 days before your yearly extension ends (or even before if you have a long trip planned, according to what I read on these forums, but never experienced myself).

Thanks, I know when it's going in the same passport the extension is added from the current expiry, but this new regulation regarding passport replacement and extensions caused some debate. At the time I thought they would just carry on as before if you got the last extension with a full year validity on your passport and then you replaced the passport for whatever reason.

On the other hand if you have less than a year in you current passport, the extension will only be granted for the life of the passport and when you get a new passport, you need to apply for a new extension that starts from the date of application.

From your experience it seems that getting a full year extension and then getting a new passport does not cause any loss of days on you subsequent extensions.

I hope all that made sense. I'm getting my 7th extension in January and my passport expires in 2015, so I plan to get a new passport before I need the 8th extension and it seems that won't cause any change to expirations of extensions. [i'll shut up now before making this even more incoherent] ... assuming the people at Jomtien see things as they do in Bangkok.

Edited by Suradit69

Suradit69,

oh ok, my wrong, I didn't get you were talking about this... So I just rechecked and my extension of stay is still written up to Oct 26th, but under there's a little block written in Thai followed by "18 OCT 2013" ; anyway, now I'm in the case "waiting for extension of stay consideration" till Nov 15th, so I can't tell you what will happen in your case if you don't apply for your next extension at same time.

Suradit69,

oh ok, my wrong, I didn't get you were talking about this... So I just rechecked and my extension of stay is still written up to Oct 26th, but under there's a little block written in Thai followed by "18 OCT 2013" ; anyway, now I'm in the case "waiting for extension of stay consideration" till Nov 15th, so I can't tell you what will happen in your case if you don't apply for your next extension at same time.

OK thanks. I still plan on getting a new passport towards the end of 2014 and will see then whether the old extension is just transferred as has been the case in the past and I assume will still be true. If I need to apply for a new extension before the expected Jan 2015 expiry, it won't be a problem. Just trying to get an idea of what to expect but remaining flexible, which is needed for most things Immigrations related.