Registering a New Motorbike

yabbra

I'm planning on buying a new bike in the next month and have a couple of questions I would like to clear up...I have the understanding that most dealers will register the bike for you if you provide them with all the documents?

1. Can I register the bike in my name on a Tourist Visa?

I will have a Non-Immigrant Visa in 4-5 months time,but at the moment only a Tourist. I do have a Thai driver's licence, if that helps in any way.

2. How many original copies of the Certificate of Residence do I need?

I've heard reports of one and two.

3. Is there anymore specific documents required besides relevant passport and visa pages and the Certificate of Residence, for the registration process?

Cheers

1. You can register the bike in your name on a tourist visa

2.You need one original residence certificate (remember this will only last as long as your visa lasts for)

3. Take your passport with you, they will make the relevant copies needed and you will need to sign them

Edited by PoolHustler

The letter from immigration will only last 30 days from date written. If over you will need to re-do again I had to go twice in Pattaya. I went 32 days & before I went to the DLT I went to immigration & they told me DLT will not accept it . Only 200 baht Used to Thailand overages & it was my over-site!

The letter from immigration will only last 30 days from date written. If over you will need to re-do again I had to go twice in Pattaya. I went 32 days & before I went to the DLT I went to immigration & they told me DLT will not accept it . Only 200 baht Used to Thailand overages & it was my over-site!

Not correct, your residence certificate will last as long as your visa lasts for

EG: My certificate of residence runs out on 19th September 2014 ........same as my visa

I don't know Poolhustler.

I'm on 1 yr. visa and have bought or sold 4 vehicles this year and my RCs have always expired at 30 days.

Also last month at Jomtien Immigration new price = 250 baht.

Here is a tip: On Saturdays, Land Transport Office sets up a table at the Big C at Pattaya Tai /Sukumvit for registering or re-registering your vehicle.

You can stop by AA Insurance opposite (north) beforehand.

Ride safe.

Not correct, your residence certificate will last as long as your visa lasts for

EG: My certificate of residence runs out on 19th September 2014 ........same as my visa

Pool hustler not trying to argue But I have had to do this 2 times on the same bike purchaces from not getting the bike over 30 days otherwise your saying on a one year visa you have a year. My Kawasaki last year went 3 days after 30 & I HAD to get a new proof of residency. Otherwise you can move & get away with incorrect docs. Years ago my Kawasaki Boss was thew same 54 days after invalid 200 baht more picture house book elect. bill. The whole shebang. You can look it up in registering a bike or auto in the Pattaya forum & I believe it is in the biking forum as well. I guess this year is now 250.

You should make sure or else people like Yabbra or going to be pissed when they get to the DLT & have to go back to immigration because of this. I wish you were correct.

The other way around the residency certificate if you have the yellow Tambien on the house(ownership) that will suffice as the residency certificate.

But you may still have to do this part at the immigration office.I have not done it this way personally but I have heard Yankee tell a couple of us with houses to get the yellow Tambien & there is no 200 baht fine. Pool do a search & you will find it is in fact only one month & has absolutely zero to do with your visa dates.

Just to repeat the correct info

When you get a certificate of residence from Jomtien immigration the expiry date will be whenever your current visa expires, not necessarily 30 days

I have in my posession right now a residecy certificate that expires on September 19th 2014

I don't know Poolhustler.

I'm on 1 yr. visa and have bought or sold 4 vehicles this year and my RCs have always expired at 30 days.

Also last month at Jomtien Immigration new price = 250 baht.

Here is a tip: On Saturdays, Land Transport Office sets up a table at the Big C at Pattaya Tai /Sukumvit for registering or re-registering your vehicle.

You can stop by AA Insurance opposite (north) beforehand.

Ride safe.

You mean can buy the tax disc?

Just to repeat the correct info

When you get a certificate of residence from Jomtien immigration the expiry date will be whenever your current visa expires, not necessarily 30 days

I have in my posession right now a residecy certificate that expires on September 19th 2014

I had Alisa call the DLT yesterday It Is 30 days after the day of issue 31 days you get to go for another certificate. Just was there 10 days ago. 30 days from when it was written . Have your girl call & they will tell her the same. Even their own website is misleading 45 days is the incorrect number it is 30 days The visa I don't have a clue what that has got to do with anything other than you have the right to be in the kingdom legally. Call & get the info from the horses mouth or just as convenient call Jomtien Immigration & they will tell you 30 days. Otherwise you will have wasted a trip to regents school where the DLT is.

• Like 1

There is no expiry date on the residence certificate I got from Jomtien immigration, just a date of issue.

and the dates of permision to stay

I dont think thats correct...to register your bike they need to see the engine and frame numbers need to go to the DLT.

they will give you a Tax disc at Big C and used to do insurance too but last time I went there they sent everyone across the road to AA insurance

who didn't seem too impressed with the extra workload.