Concepts Of Community

Guest IT Manager

Guest IT Manager

Concepts of Community

I often think, as I walk down the street in my village, that perhaps, we, my family and I, have found a “community of belonging”. A place to call home.

The old man across the street waves his daily good mornings, and the neighbour on the right likewise, his afternoon, as the Deputy Abbot rushes past, with almost trying regularity on a mission of mercy or support, and I find myself considering “Wai Phra” in my mind, for the person, or family, who has called to him for his help, his wisdom or simply his honesty.

Each of us, in our daily lives can find time to think about something happening near us, or that we hear about, which could effect us on another day, but today hasn’t and for which we give perhaps a small unthinking, personal nod of thanks to the powers that be, that we are not effected today, and we hope, will not be again, tomorrow.

These moments give me an opportunity to consider the question, “what is community?”.

For my family, it’s a small village where we live, together with our neighbours, supporting in the ways we can, being at least thoughtful of needs around us, when we cannot directly support those needs, always I think, being aware of the fact that needs exist, and occasionally opportunities arise, to be thankful for our good karma, in spite of the occasional cloud passing before the sun on our daily path, forcing a thoughtful look into the shadows of our lives.

I used to wonder that the alms giver gave thanks to the Phra, on the morning alms round. I wondered why the alms giver gave thanks, rather than the Phra, being given the daily sustenance by the villagers, who would turn to him for support should the need arise.

In that giving, perhaps, is perfect community. A synergy between Phra and alms giver, between Temple and Community, where the opportunity to make merit is given by the Phra, and for that, thanks is required.

The knowledge that sending the oldest son to the Wat on a motorcycle, with a request for assistance, will result in the Phra arriving and taking control in a time of grief at the loss of a loved one, a time of angst, at the misbehaviour of a child, or any other issue, better handled by understanding and thoughtful support, will, without question, be answered.

I treasure Thailand.

I have met some wonderful people, and have made some incredible friends, without ever meeting them.

I have shared sadness, and anger with “strangers” at a loss to understand the way they have been treated by their lovers, wives even whole families, after spending money for years, keeping a family in a way they would ever have been able to afford, without “the farang” who came into their lives via a sister, a brother, a daughter or a son.

I have shared the happiness of new romances, the agony of indecision or insecurity over “is this right for me?”, and the torment of love lost, yet again. I am thoughtful of those each day, and offer part of Wai Phra, for their wholeness again, soon.

I treasure every, single moment.

I am indeed, a lucky man.

• 2 weeks later...
The knowledge that sending the oldest son to the Wat on a motorcycle, with a request for assistance, will result in the Phra arriving and taking control in a time of grief at the loss of a loved one,

I didn't know you could do this, and I think it's great that you can. I read about the role that kamnan play in the life of a local community, but I seldom hear about how monks interact with people except at morning alms.

Most of my city friends do not visit temples much, but I like it when they do. A visit to a wat can take them out of themselves, and invite them to think about someone else for a change!

IT...you answered your own question....community is not tangible...more a state of mind. The comfort that you receive from a monk during a bad time could easily be the same that came from another compassionate person. Every one of us needs to find the community that sustains us...the disappointments and glories all come together...it's just when one outweighs the other that you may find it necessary re-evaluate present arrangements.

As far as expats living in Thailand are concerned many of us come from places far away and it is a delicate balance to maintain. A death of someone fron 'the old country' or even a visit from a dear friend from your past can easily upset that balance and have you question present priorities. Then your sense of community can become wobbly and the strength that you had before becomes shaky.

A good question to put forward as I am sure that a lot of us in the depths of our deepest nights...