Train from Bangkok to Krabi (Surat Thani)

gk10002000

I am thinking of taking the 2nd class sleeper train from Hua Lumphong train station Thursday night. I would take the night train leaving at 6:30 PM I think it is. Do you think I can just walk up and purchase a ticket? Any chance of it being sold out? I would be getting to the train station from Pattaya and arriving at the train station about 5:30 PM I think. I just have a small carry on bag so I think I would have time to sort things out?

Thank

Sleeper always seems to sell out at least a week in advance.

You might get lucky though !

Wow. Really? Even if I go for the first class sleeper and pay the extra by myself?

Thanks for the heads up. I will have to see if I can get an agent to book me before I go.

I walked up and purchased one for the next day when the airport was closed down by protests a few years ago - I would have thought this would have made the train even busier, but there was loads of room. They had sold out of 1st class though so I got 2nd, it was perfectly fine, had a very good nights sleep actually :-)

You'd have to be very lucky, in my experience, to get a berth that late. It may be somewhat seasonal, and occasionally people cancel, but I've been frustrated trying to get first o OR second class berths a week or less in advance, and I always reserve. Also, getting on a train from Pattaya that is supposed to arrive at 5:30 is cutting it way too short. Haven't used that particular line (Pattaya-Bkk) but in this day and age in Thailand trains are notoriously late, with all sorts of delays. I love to take the trains, but always know not to be in a hurry, or to depend on getting anywhere at a particular time.

Thanks for the advice folks. I am in Pattaya. I found a travel agent/office that looked into the train bookings. It seems to be a bit of a roundabout affair. The officieal Thai website doesn't allow you to book online anymore. Sleepers are all booked up for the next day, so I am very thankful of the advice to check on availability first.

The travel office does have a VIP bus that goes direct from Pattaya to Phuket. A minivan picks you up at your hotel between 1700 and 1800. The bus leaves Pattaya 1800 and arrives Phuket at 0600. Price from Pattaya to Phuket ia 1500 baht. Then you have to take the 3 hour bus from the same Phuket bus terminal to Krabi. I think that leg costs something like150 baht from Phuket to Krabi.

Because of convenience this VIP bus may win. Air Asia has a pretty good air fare promotion from DMK to Krabi for 3700 B roundtrip if booked for travel from Oct 28, returning Nov 6. That is also on my radar even though it means some transfers from DMK to BKK.

Thanks for the advice folks. I am in Pattaya. I found a travel agent/office that looked into the train bookings. It seems to be a bit of a roundabout affair. The officieal Thai website doesn't allow you to book online anymore. Sleepers are all booked up for the next day, so I am very thankful of the advice to check on availability first.

The travel office does have a VIP bus that goes direct from Pattaya to Phuket. A minivan picks you up at your hotel between 1700 and 1800. The bus leaves Pattaya 1800 and arrives Phuket at 0600. Price from Pattaya to Phuket ia 1500 baht. Then you have to take the 3 hour bus from the same Phuket bus terminal to Krabi. I think that leg costs something like150 baht from Phuket to Krabi.

Because of convenience this VIP bus may win. Air Asia has a pretty good air fare promotion from DMK to Krabi for 3700 B roundtrip if booked for travel from Oct 28, returning Nov 6. That is also on my radar even though it means some transfers from DMK to BKK.

Last time I did a similar trip I took the airport bus to Suwannabuhmi, the train to Morchit, a a short taxi ride to Morchit bus station and then an overnight bus to Krabi. Most buses go from the Southern Bus Terminal, but there are a few departures from Morchit.

As there are also minivans running from the Southern Bus Terminal to Pattaya they will most probably ply the reverse route, just need to ask and find out where they leave in Pattaya. I did not look into that option because I was meeting somebody at Morchit. So you could go directly to the Southern Bus Terminal and take an overnight bus to Krabi. That should cost in total less than 1,000 and get you to Krabi at 06:00 or so.

I really did want to try the train and I would if I was in Bangkok. But since I am in pattaya, I had trouble confirming a train seat, it is a bit of a hassle getting over to the Bangkok Train Station. So I gave in, and because of scheduling ease, I paid for a VIP bus from Pattaya to Phuket. I like the idea of avoiding the Phuket airport. I have not been to Phuket before so this deviation from my plan kind of fits in OK. After Phuket I am sure I will hop on the ferry over to Ao Nang and then later get to Krabi at some point. If the bus is horrible, well, I will post and of course never do it again. I am already having secong thoughts and wish I had stuck to my original plan of getting to Bangkok and taking the train. But money is paid. Off I go in another few hours.

OK. Quick update. This morning I decided to book the VIP bus from Pattaya to Phuket. I went to the travel agent at about noon. She called the bus company and I Bought the VIP ticket, 1800 baht. Standard seats were 1500 baht. Minivan would pick me up at 1700 from the office, bus will head out at 1800. So I go kill some time and then go back to the office. While sitting waiting for the mini van I asked the agent if I had a window or aisle seat. She said aisle, seat 32 and pointed to the brochure that had a page about the bus seat arrangement. I looked at the seat chart and 32 was not a vip seat. Some heated words followed as she called the bus company. she said no more VIP seats. She said should would give me back 300 baht and I would get the coach seat. I said no. I won't sit in one of those for an 11 hour trip. She called the bus company back again. She said would I go tomorrow? I said then I would have to get a room again tonight in Pattaya and that would cost me money. She said bus is already in Pattaya and the bus company is making her pay the 1800. I said not my problem. You need to get that straightened out between you and the bus company.

So without saying anything I was wondering if this was a small scam. I pay 1800 i advance. I get to the bus and at the last minute find out there is only a standard seat. My choice? Take the seat and be stuck with paying for something I really don't want and really can't tolerate. Walk away and be stuck the money because the bus driver certainly wouldn't do anything. And was it a scam that the lady thought that the worst that would happen is I would discover the "wrong" seat and all she would have to do is refund me the 300 baht difference?

I said again I am not going to go. I want my money back. The lady then pulled out 2,000 baht and handed it to me and was giving me a full refund. I said you know, I bet even if you give me that the bus company is going to sell that seat quickly again. Being good natured and feeling bad for the agent and giving her the benefit of the doubt, I gave her 500 baht. So I am out 300 baht. Since I did ask her a lot of other questions as we were booking this trip I consider that money for her time and trouble.

Was it a deliberate low-level "scam" or was it an honest mistake? The receipt and the booking process was crystal clear and in writing says VIP 1800.

Anyway, I will probably hang in Pattya another week as I found a slightly better hotel deal than I had the previous week. there seems to be a killer promotion round trp air from DMK to Phuket for 3700 aound Nov 1, so I might do that. Or I will sort out the train situation better. Yesterday, she did call the train people and the 1st class sleepers were sold out. So thanks again for those that warned me to check on those beforehand.

go and speak to the pattaya train station https://maps.google.com/maps?q=pattaya+train+station+Thailand&hl=en&ll=12.940155,100.909424&spn=0.068761,0.104027&sll=15.876809,100.986328&sspn=8.678167,13.31543&hnear=Pattaya+Railway+Station,+Thailand&t=m&z=13

book there for any advanced train trips from anywhere to anywhere.

bus pattaya to ekamai (bkk), skytrain to siam square, then bmta bus to hua lampong. use google maps on the last bit for the bus.

Edited by Vo Nguyen Giap

They wore me out. I ended up booking a flight from Utapao to Phuket. 2640 baht. Money is spent. Ticket is bought. I am heading there Oct 31 for my last 6 days on this trip. Probably will spend a few days in Phuket then take the ferry over to Ao Nang. I will leave the train trip for my next trip.