CM to Ubon Ratchathani - Travel Options?

sante

I'm thinking about exploring the eastern Thai cities, specifically Ubon Ratchathani and surrounding area, when the rainy season has ended. I'll be taking public transportation. Although Ubon has an airport, it looks as if the only flight connections are to Bangkok, which I'd like to avoid. Also, flying is expensive but am not looking forward to a long bus ride.

Anyone made this trip? If so, how long is the bus ride? Any other tips on transportation or accommodation? I'll probably stay for a week or more so am looking for guest house/hotel that's NOT deluxe but quiet and clean.

Thanks

Chiang Mai to Surin 15 hours. Ubon another 3 hours. CM to Surin Gold Class (first) 960 baht.

http://www.nakhonchaiair.com/about_en.php

http://primia.net/thaibus/

I do this trip on a regular bases either by bus (NCA) or I drive myself.

Bus or driving are the only two sensible options. Flying or train are totally out of whack as options.

Edited by khwaibah

Done the trip a few times, two bus companies that go there direct are nakornchai and phetprasert.

We favour the latter as its a quicker trip about 13hr,and goes via khon kaen and roi et

nakorn takes you further south via korat and a couple hours longer.

Price circa 800bt one way.

Night travel is ok,roads quieter and don't have the sun burning you up.

Both companies have a better reputation than most , though I will never come to terms with why they all allow drivers to drive over 8hrs before swapping over.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

Done the trip a few times, two bus companies that go there direct are nakornchai and phetprasert.

We favour the latter as its a quicker trip about 13hr,and goes via khon kaen and roi et

nakorn takes you further south via korat and a couple hours longer.

Price circa 800bt one way.

Night travel is ok,roads quieter and don't have the sun burning you up.

Both companies have a better reputation than most , though I will never come to terms with why they all allow drivers to drive over 8hrs before swapping over.

Sent via tin can and string after pigeon shot

NCA on its trip will use up to 4 drivers and I have never seen them drive over 6 hours.

I would suggest that Surin is considerably out of the way for someone coming from a northwesterly direction such as Chiang Mai (look at a map). Notice how Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Yasathorn, Ubon is a much more direct route. (The map below is a bit oversimplified. My suggested route does swing through Phitsanulok, as probably does the second poster's route).

I've done the route in two legs: Chiang Mai - Khon Kaen (12 hours), and Khon Kaen to Ubon (4 hours). Do the math.

post-108400-0-34740200-1382526232_thumb.

Edited by Fookhaht

I would suggest that Surin is considerably out of the way for someone coming from a northwesterly direction such as Chiang Mai (look at a map). Notice how Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Yasathorn, Ubon is a much more direct route. (The map below is a bit oversimplified. My suggested route does swing through Phitsanulok, as probably does the second poster's route).

I've done the route in two legs: Chiang Mai - Khon Kaen (12 hours), and Khon Kaen to Ubon (4 hours). Do the math.

attachicon.gifScreen_Shot_2013-10-23_at_5.54.59_PM.jpeg

You need to back to school. NCA goes threw Chaiyaphum-Bua Yai-Buriram-Surin -Ubon not even close to Korat.

According to the NCA schedule they do this trip to Ubon in 17 hours.

Edited by khwaibah

You need to back to school. NCA goes threw Chaiyaphum-Bua Yai-Buriram-Surin -Ubon not even close to Korat.

Ah yes, now we have the rest of the story...which continues to confirm why the CM->Surin->Ubon route is still 2 hours longer. Isn't that really where the rubber meets the road, ah, so to speak? wink.png To help put our TV poster back into a friendlier state of mind, we have revised the map. It seems that his suggested route still dips considerably to the south, thus adding on those two hours. Maybe our OP has all the time in the world, and he really doesn't care!

As a concession to Khwalbah, I would rather spend 18 hours on NCA than 16 hours on any other bus company. The Phitsanulok-->KK route is a pretty treacherous one at night, with a bad record of bus accidents (by other companies who DON'T change drivers). I've personally watched a driver doze off multiple times on this route (which, of course woke me right up!).

post-108400-0-17130300-1382528322_thumb.

Edited by Fookhaht

Ah yes, now we have the rest of the story...which continues to confirm why the CM->Surin->Ubon route is still 2 hours longer. Isn't that really where the rubber meets the road, ah, so to speak? wink.png

You might say so but that is why I stay with NCA. I'm not saying their perfect but I have not seen them in an accident all the other I have. BTW when I drive and next month I will it is usually 12 hours CM to Surin 880 km and the wife drive a fair amount of that.

• Like 1

Ah yes, now we have the rest of the story...which continues to confirm why the CM->Surin->Ubon route is still 2 hours longer. Isn't that really where the rubber meets the road, ah, so to speak? wink.png

You might say so but that is why I stay with NCA. I'm not saying their perfect but I have not seen them in an accident all the other I have. BTW when I drive and next month I will it is usually 12 hours CM to Surin 880 km and the wife drive a fair amount of that.

Only seen one banged-up NCA bus in 10 years here--believe it was a Buriram accident, ironically. Guess no one's perfect.

Reference made to it here.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k5963287-VIP_Bus_are_safer-Bangkok.html

Thanks for the responses. I figured the bus ride would be long but not that long. A 14 plus hour ride, involving nighttime driving, isn't something I look forward to. I noticed Nok Air has a CM to Udon Thani flight. It's more than I want to spend but maybe I can fly one way and ride the bus back to CM. Anyone know how long the bus ride takes from Udon Thani to Ubon?

Quiet and relatively cheap. Outside Inn would be my recommendation. Young (to most of us) American owner and Thai wife, Mexican food. 600 to 900 baht depending on room size and including breakfast (i think that's the sort of range). Google "Thaivisa.com Outside Inn" for more discussion by Ubonites. Some restaurants/bars walkable within 10 mins as are baht bus stops to most parts of Ubon (check out weloveubon.com for naht bus routes). Meter taxis in Ubon relatively cheap.

Cheaper than that? Plenty of slightly out of centre Mansions (usually basic but clean, some English channels on LED tvs, new or newish and outstanding value, but limited English spoken in most). Eg Fundee Mansion, 400 baht (no breakfast). Chatsuree and Phadaeng Mansions also - at 500 baht and more central. Trouble with mansions is walls are thin and passageways tiled, so can be noisy early morning as people clatter their way to breakfast/work/college: take earplugs.

If driving, take the northern route between Phitsanulok and Khon Kaen - lovely hills and national parks traversed. For real scenery take 3 days oneway and follow the Mekong right the way round. If busing I would explore feasibility of breaking the journey somewhere interesting like Loei unless you have an iron clad @rsesmile.png

Use Agoda for best discounts and useful reviews.

i have no conflicts of interest or axes to grind in commenting btw

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

Air Asia have flown direct between Chiang Mai and Ubon at odd times. May be worth asking them if they are likely to in the future. The odd time the family visit here they have travelled NCA which has taken 17-18 hours. I have been driving that route for over 20 years and on average it has taken me 12-13 hours to travel the 1000+ a bit Km to a town 50km the other side of Ubon, that is without pushing hard. The roads have improved a lot so it is a more relaxing (boring?) drive than it used to be.

• 4 weeks later...

Please could the poster who stated that my wife and I could drive from Surin (Home town) to Chaing Mai in 12 hours and only travel 880 kilometers please inform me of the particulars of the route etc. as my wife and I wish to visit Chaing Mai in December. Thank you in advance for the information.

Kap Choeng to Surin.

marker_greenA.png
Kap Choeng Immigration
Unknown road
1. Head north toward Route 214
140 m
2. Turn left onto Route 214 transparent.png
27.1 km
3. Turn left onto Route 24
191 km
4. Continue onto Route 201
15.7 km
5. Turn left toward Route 2256
25.6 km
6. Turn left onto Route 2256 transparent.png
16.6 km
7. Turn right onto Route 2247
16.3 km
8. Turn left onto Suranarai Rd
22.5 km
9. Turn right onto Route 2129
1.4 km
10. Turn right onto ถนน คชเสนีย์
73.7 km
11. Turn left onto Route 225
46.1 km
12. Turn right onto Route 11
113 km
13. Turn left onto Route 12
7.6 km
14. Slight right toward Route 11
2.3 km
15. Take the ramp
270 m
16. Continue straight
220 m
17. Turn right onto Route 11
143 km
18. Turn left onto Route 101/Route 11
Continue to follow Route 11
transparent.png
82.2 km
19. Turn left onto ถนน ทิพวัลย์ transparent.png
400 m
20. Continue onto Route 11 transparent.png
97.0 km
21. Slight left onto ทางคู่ขนานถนน ซูเปอร์ไฮเวย์/ทางคู่ขนานถนน สาย เชียงใหม่-ลำปาง transparent.png
2.7 km
22. Turn left onto ถนน เจริญเมือง transparent.png
2.6 km
23. Continue onto ถนน ท่าแพ transparent.png
900 m
24. Turn left onto ถนน คชสาร
Destination will be on the left
transparent.png

post-157194-0-66803000-1384690448_thumb.

I'm driving this route tomorrow night starting about 1 am Tuesday morning from Kap Choeng approximately 880 km. Normally 2 stops for fuel two extra stops for potty, The wife also drives. I have done this in 11.5 hours

Edited by khwaibah

Why would anyone want to "explore" Ubon Ratchathani? For what? And 18 hours by bus? Come on... Hop on a plane to Phuket, Koh Chang, Krabi, Koh Samui, etc. and be someplace beautiful in a couple of hours.

Because some people still like to explore and not stay in a retirement home.whistling.gif

I picked Ubon because I felt like traveling to a new place but because of high season, wanted to avoid crowds of tourists. But the 18 hour bus ride and high temperatures dissuaded me. I don't think I can stand hotter weather than here in CM unless an ocean is nearby.

Ubon Ratchathani would be at the absolute bottom of the list of places I would ever want to visit in Thailand. As far as Isaan is concerned, been to Udon Thani, Nong Khai, and Loei. Loei was surprisingly very beautiful but the other two were horrible places.

I' sure those in the above feel the same about Chiang Mai and your sunny descriptions.tongue.png