Installing a 3TB hard drive

briley

Trying to install a 3TB hard drive on an XP machine for Data only (not bootable). I've done this before using Seagate disk wizard with few problems, but this one beats me.

But I forget, should the drive show up in the BIOS as more than 800 GB after installing????

What is happening, everytime I install the drive and run diskwizard I can see the disk and files, but on re-boot the BIOS still show only 800gb drive and the computer hangs on the windows startup screen. Remove the 3TB drive and it starts fine.

Any help welcome.

You will need to have at least two partitions on that drive to get the size of each below 2GB. Do that and it should work. The device driver will take care of the second partition once Windows starts.

http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/218619en

Even on Win7 with a slightly older motherboard that does not have a UEFI BIOS I had quite significant problems with trying to use single-partitioned 3GB drives connected directly to the motherboard, even in non-bootable configurations. In the end I settled for just using them in a USB3 dock where they work fine.

• Like 2

Thanks, I have two partitions, 2gb abd 1 gb and the drive worked fine in another XP machine. I just want to put it into this machine now.

The problem is windows will not start if diskwizard from seagate is installed.

I have an older motherboard with 2013 dated BIOS - but no UEFI.

I did wonder if the 3TB drive ever shows up in the BIOS as more than 800 GB in a legacy BIOS?

Of course there is the option to switch to windows 7 - do I still need DiskWizard with Win 7 and an older BIOS?

Not sure you can make a SATA drive a slave?

But I seem to have found the problem, the data cable is not always making a connection properly. Not sure I think much of these new SATA conectors, it is not the first time I have had such a problem.

Thanks for the comments

But I seem to have found the problem, the data cable is not always making a connection properly. Not sure I think much of these new SATA conectors, it is not the first time I have had such a problem.

Thanks for the comments

I have Sata connectors always considered very fragile compared with IDE connectors, have had the problem many times before where a disk lost connection in a server set up.

I am using a 3TB drive, but the drive needs a small daughter board to translate 'stuff' for the whole 3TB to be accessable.

Basically it's a BIOS issue, in that older BIOS do not recognize 3TB. A BIOS update is needed, assuming you can find one, otherwise the daughter board is needed..

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments

I have Sata connectors always considered very fragile compared with IDE connectors, have had the problem many times before where a disk lost connection in a server set up.

You can actually get locking SATA connectors. Most SATA cables are red, but I have an orange SATA cable that locks into position.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments

You can actually get locking SATA connectors. Most SATA cables are red, but I have an orange SATA cable that locks into position.

I know, I have them also, but I have never seen the power cable to a Sata disk with those lock clamps, and it are those that easily come off or even have the connectors crack because they are wider as the data connectors.

Losing power connection is a bigger issue as losing data connection, as it can damage the disk.

Edited by PeterSmiles

I've used apple macs, I prefer a computer and operating system that I own and can do what I want with rather than one that I have to pay over the odds for and then have to ask permission to do anything apart from read e-mails.

It was the power lead that was not making a good connection on my drive.