American campaigns to convince Thai people to wear helmets

webfact

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny really, a well meaning but naive American will get plenty of smiles and waves yet achieve little or nothing towards his goal in as many months on the road as he may choose to invest.

Yet a five minute TV appearance by a member of a certain Thai family would achieve the objective overnight.

Where is the motivation to save one's "subjects"?

i don't think so, how many other regal admonishments have been heeded? As to this guy, I hope he convinces a few. Not every state in the USA requires helmets. Most of us sometimes ride without, it is a calculated risk with a very low probabllity of accident. It just needs to become a habit, like seatbelts in cars, enforcement is key, there are many places in the kingdom where enforcment has brought the helmet wearers to be near total. Even the lower quality (scooter) helmets will help at typical scooter speeds.

They've got/had a sign board at the bottom of the Hang Dong Road near the Airport Plaza in Chiang Mai saying "you are now entering the must wear helmet zone"...it is in Thai but that is roughly what it says... so what does that say to anyone outside the zone? The main deciding factor making Thais wear helmets or not is the cash fine if they are stopped at a roadside check. In Bangkok you hardly see anyone without a helmet. I imagine that they are stopped at random there and this makes all the difference.

Although good intentioned, a Farang campaign just might have the opposite effect, as every Thai just hates being told what to do, especially by foreigners. To sort this problem you have to change a whole mindset and a culture based on a belief in Karma....or randomly stopping offenders with on the spot fines.

Edited by SPIKECM

The Thai view is of course you are going to die when karma dictates so nothing you do will alter that, you die when it's time (unless somebody puts a curse on you of course) is their attitude, so silly foreign notions about health and safety is just superstitious nonsense.

Edited by sms747
  • Like 2

Have you noticed that in Laos (for instance), most people (I would say roughly 90% of them) who are riding a bike wear a helmet, while it's probably less than 25% in Thailand? My guess is that the difference has a lot to do with how the law is enforced locally.

Mr. Klerk revealed that the campaigning of wearing helmets for safety is one of the projects that they give priority, in order to help the community and people around us. Since the 2005 onwards, he has given more than 4,000 helmets to students all over Thailand and during the past 8-years, he has attempted to campaign to all the people to wear helmets.

The hub of unidentified heroes.- 4,000 helmets all over Thailand, amazing. Amazing American in amazing Thailand.

American Drives Pickup for Thai People to Wear Helmets

Should drive on a motorbike, not in a Pickup truck, with a valid work permit for Aliens.-coffee1.gif

Edited by sirchai

is the welcomed American man, Mr. Klerk Gillot, an American, who is the American President of an Independent Charity Foundation from America?

you figured it out...

it's be a classic if the next sentence began "Mr. Gillot, speaking via phone from his native Italy..."

• Like 1

Anticipated TV cynicism confirmed, but kudos to this guy for trying to make a difference. A few weeks ago, the police had a daytime traffic stop set up in downtown Lopburi specifically netting riders without helmets and licenses. I watched for a bit, and they seemed to be taking it seriously. After seeing that, my gf said 'I think its about time I get a license' ... and I've managed to get her wearing a helmet after harping on it for a good long time.

• Like 1

The usual nonsense post about Thais here, in my many years of living and visiting Thailand more people are wearing helmets than where wearing before. We still have people in America who believe that wearing a helmet will cause more harm than not so please stop with the racist posts about Thais. There are also a few states in the US who do not require helmets because it interfers with some idiots rights to be stupid

To be honest mate upcountry and outside the city and main roads (where the cops might pull you) I reckon you'd be hard pushed to find somebody wearing a lid.

Even though I contributed to this thread with a "quip" about this guys intentions with me being from the UK I'd no more go out without a motorcycle helmet than go to the moon. Just before I came to LOS me and my mates used to ride some serious metal ( I had a Honda CBR 900) and we all wore the best lids on the market ( usually Arai or Shoei). To be honest I think anybody who doesn't wear a crash helmet ( especially back in the west where quality ones are readily available) is some sort of div. My mate slipped off his bike a few years back after hitting a patch of diesel and slid his face along the road. All he had to show for it was a scuffed lid and leathers.

I fully agree with your comment about it interferes with some idiots right to be stupid. <deleted> to that "Live free ride free bro the Man can't tell us what to do" wankery. I'd rather keep my face and head in one piece.

• Like 2

I see just as many farang that dont bother strapping on their helmets as Thais and Im sure they wouldnt wear them at all if the police didnt see them as a money supply. whats with this site? its seems to me that the Thais have plenty of competition when it comes to xenophobia

I suppose that if this saves even one or two lives then it was worth it,however the enforcement of traffic laws rests squarely on the Thai police and not well intentioned aliens.

Another equally insane act which never seems to be given much attention is driving a motor cycle devoid of rear mirrors. I have seen many bikes which do not have mirrors and driving such a vehicle especially in traffic is simply an act of total insanity.

As is the case of driving in Lamai, Samui.

Where everyone drive down town in the opposite direction.

No police anywhere to ever been seen.

All you can do is hold your breath and pray you don't hit one of these people going down a one way in the opposite direction,

or it will be an entire afternoon wasted on whose fault the accident is.

As most have stated already, it really comes down to police enforcement,

and their lack hereof.

All people try to do is avoid a fine, and move on about their way.

I've purchased two very nice helmets for the misses and I and yet my misses just keeps paying the fines,

she eventually receives. More than the cost of both the helmets.

This might sink in only if the police were to enforce the law regularly instead of next to never.

yay for this man! To all the naysayers out there, even if he only gets a low number of people to wear helmets, if just ONE person's life is saved by his efforts, then he has spent his time well. Think of the old story about the little boy tossing the dying starfish found on the beach, back into the water. He is told that what he is doing doesn't matter as most will die anyhow. The little boy replies that it matters to the few who live.

If this fellow has so much time and determination to save lives, there are far better ways to save more than just one life on this earth...

A preliminary stage will require

1 Gaining the attention of the riders

2 Turn their ears into learning new information mode

3 Try to associate a safety culture,deffered gratification

4 Politely explain that no number of lucky amulets nor hearsay will lessen the impact of a red bull driver

5 Possibly allow our virtuous BIB to confiscate machines from negligent until penalty paid 500 in stick and maybe 1000 in Bangers would incentivise the poor.

6 Explain not even a uniform can save you from manic car drivers there is a wonderful hi profile case which should be a TV ad every bus skytrain etc

7 Have a 2 minute video pegged onto school class,intro to all websites for yoof Twatter ,Farcebook vid games similar to those special opening announcments in the local comics.

8 Just to get the ball rolling a max of 6 per bike reducing by one each year until Int norm of 2 people per bike!

9 Free whitewashing cream for Policewoman to catch the most sidesaddlers

10 Full metal jacket and keep ALL the fines offer fro Top cop

If you are a little into bikes and helmets, you will know that there are many different kinds of helmets. Ranging from 100THB to let's say 20,000THB. In Thailand, the large majority of helmets people are wearing are useless. It's often only a plastic bowl with some straps. Basically construction-work helmets.

The helmet Mr. Klerk is holding looks like a helmet but it won't give you much protection when you fall down. I honestly don't see how that protects you in a crash.