New Apple MacBook Air and Maverick OS

Richard-BKK

I have bought a MacBook Air and it seems to be a bad decision, the notebook came with OSX 10.8.5. But the sales guy insured me that I would be able to upgrade to the latest OSX Maverick 10.9 for free.

At home and connected the brand new MacBook Air to my network “WIFI” which was remarkable easy I found myself with two updates... one which was about some stuff I cannot really remember and the other one was the latest OS version. I first upgraded the regular updates to restart and do the Maverick update.

Now the problem starts, when I want to download the Maverick OS update they want me to update my Apple ID to include my credit card information. I refuse to accept this, free is free no need to give my credit card info – last time I entered my credit card info into a Apple device they charged me 1 US$ without asking or confirmation...

What to do, bring back the MacBook Air to the shop and say that they sold me a product which is not confirm what they promised?

Who is the official representative for Apple in Thailand?

The main reason why I not want to link my credit card with this Apple ID is that the owner of the Apple AirBook is not me and I give this to the daughter of somebody who works for me.

My girlfriend also uses a iPhone I bought and was activated with my credit card, and every time she buys an app I get charged.... Now the idea is that a 15-year old Thai student will likely go crazy in the Apple apps store....

As mentioned above....

It's not difficult to get round. In fact it is easy. Look around on Google...

What I did was create a bogus US address and that allows you to download without credit card. It also allows to buy Itunes cards at the Apple shop in Siam Centre with which you can download non-free apps (if you want)

Firstly, you can add parental control to your Apple account. By doing so, your GF or Thai student will not have the ability to download any paid apps. In addition, you do not need a credit card to use the Apple App Store. As described above, enter you credit card info to activate your account. Once confirmed remove your CC info.

Apple requiring a password for account access is for your protection. They also require the 3 digit code on the back of your CC when purchasing an app.

The 1$ charge to your CC was just part of the CC process. If you check your account you should see they issued a credit 2 or 3 days later.

all the above posts are correct , registration of card is simple and secure , no one can buy apps without the pass word that you control , if the id /password is ever used on a different devise you immediately get an email warning you , I too have kids with apple computers / i pads and phones plus my wife no one can buy with out the controlling pass word . ref the credit card , its secure , but if you really do not want to use it there are many work arounds including cancelling later after set up , or as per the other replies 5 minutes on u tube will show you . You have already experienced the beauty and ease of use when you joined the wifi ..its basically the same with all Apple integrated services and products .. One tip the Apple wifi router and 2 /3 terabyte back up is brilliant looks good ,coverage and speed is brilliant , and I also use apple TV box one of the better priced extras , I have 6 of them Thailand , HK , and China bedrooms and Living rooms .. the service works great , films , rentals purchases , and the ability to play my music direct from any apple device or from i cloud is brilliant , plus photos from shared photo stream , from all your devices again is super ..

Note Apple refurbished products via on line store are well worth watching I have purchased many devices that way , including the apple TV boxes usually about 30 % cheaper full guarantee as if a new device and they are actually subject to longer and more quality checks than new product off the production line , all ways new outer cases and packaging and cables etc ........the update to maverick was simple easy and free but after most apps will also notify you they require updating plus note new io7/2 update for any phone you have has just been released . welcome to the world of Apple once hooked you will not go back .

• Like 1

Note Apple refurbished products via on line store are well worth watching I have purchased many devices that way , including the apple TV boxes usually about 30 % cheaper full guarantee as if a new device and they are actually subject to longer and more quality checks than new product off the production line , all ways new outer cases and packaging and cables etc ........the update to maverick was simple easy and free but after most apps will also notify you they require updating plus note new io7/2 update for any phone you have has just been released . welcome to the world of Apple once hooked you will not go back .

I agree with you regarding refurbished Apple products but have not seen any available on Apple's Thai site.

I agree with you regarding refurbished Apple products but have not seen any available on Apple's Thai site.

I'm not sure about now, but I used to get e-mails from apple offering refurbished products including a Thai price. It's been awhile, though, since I last got one of those.

Edited by pacovl46

I'm not sure about now, but I used to get e-mails from apple offering refurbished products including a Thai price. It's been awhile, though, since I last got one of those.

I get them but they are always to the US website

Officially you can only download the Mavericks update from the App store (not the IOS store but the 'MAC' app store) and for that you need an Apple ID.

This can be done free. Just go to the App Store for IOS, then select a free app and try to get it. Then it asks you to register an Apple ID. No need to enter your CC or Paypal details.

Then go to the MacApp Store, login and download / upgrade.

I have three accounts (Dutch, Thai and US) and registered with that method. Google it ... there's plenty of info about it.

It also allows to buy Itunes cards at the Apple shop in Siam Centre with which you can download non-free apps (if you want)

Not anymore. Istudio (the official Apple dealer) doesn't sell these cards anymore, as Apple infracted them.

Edited by sniffdog

The problem is solved, the Apple MacBook Air went back to the store (they did do a bit difficult about refund), the 15-year old girl who won it as a price now gets a new Yamaha scooter (she and her dad also likes that as she needs transport to school).

• Like 1

A 15 year old Girl on a Scooter? Well that is certainly better than a MacBook. [/irony off]

The daughter of my worker doesn't live in Bangkok, and small scooters are in the rural provinces of Thailand the main transport for school going children. The Apple Macbook Air and the scooter are almost the same price...

So yes the scooter is much better for the first price winner, she has no internet connection at her home and lives about 10 km from her school, which she now does (as I was told) on a old bicycle...

Now that I look back I have to admit that it was a bit stupid to make a Apple MacBook Air the first price... what I have learned is that what I find a cool thing to have as first price is not exactly what somebody else things to be a good first price.... Lesson learned...

• Like 2

I had an Apple ID, but changed and blocked my old credit card.... since I have not been able to make a new ID.... w00t.gif .... regardless of what I do... keep getting a message saying "Account suspended for security reasons" ... although I have not given them my new card number.

I tried a few work arounds as mentioned above but still no joy! sad.png

Is this Maverick worth the bother downloading?

It's listed in the apple updates in the apple menu.

I had an Apple ID, but changed and blocked my old credit card.... since I have not been able to make a new ID.... w00t.gif .... regardless of what I do... keep getting a message saying "Account suspended for security reasons" ... although I have not given them my new card number.

Finally sorted my ID problems.... what a hassle navigating their pages ! sad.png... it always seems to default back to US page crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

I see from another thread that with the Maverick update, one should should wait...wink.png

The problem is solved, the Apple MacBook Air went back to the store (they did do a bit difficult about refund), the 15-year old girl who won it as a price now gets a new Yamaha scooter (she and her dad also likes that as she needs transport to school).

You going to help her get the drivers license for it as well? w00t.gif

You going to help her get the drivers license for it as well? w00t.gif

The law in Thailand regarding drivers-license for motorcycles/scooters is a bit different than what you expect coming from a Western country. In Thailand everybody from 15 until 18 can ride a (automatic) scooter as long the engine size is not over 115cc.

When somebody becomes 18-years old than they need for that same small 115cc scooter a drivers-license.

So as the girl had just become 15-years old, her dad was looking for a second hand scooter. As our company is involved in the motorcycle industry he asked me if it was possible that I could help him to buy a scooter... (we can buy direct from most motorcycle manufacturers in Thailand) so with the Apple Macbook Air on my desk and the girls dad in from of my desk it didn't take much to figure out what to do ~ MacBook Air back to the shop and the best scooter we could get within the legal limits a 15-year old person could ride in Thailand...

Will we help her to get her drivers-license when she turns 18? From experience I can tell that a 115cc scooter after 3-years of commuting to school will probably not be something she wants to ride when she turns 18...

Edited by Richard-BKK

lots of problems with the new Operating system... seems to b just a headache... bummer sounded cool

as for the air - i think there is absolutely NO point in getting it - if you want somethign portable and small get an ipad and if u need to type get a macbookpro end of story! ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Air or Pro does very much depend on the application.

(Thats why they both exist)

I'm very happy with my Air, as a fulltime Coder i dont really need the DVD, large space and the Firewire.

The battery does last forever, its not heavy, and runns the same apps as on my iMac at home.

Perfect little Beast it is.

What did your bank offer as a reason for this problem? I once had to deal with my bank's fraud department to get things sorted out with my iTunes CC.

What did your bank offer as a reason for this problem? I once had to deal with my bank's fraud department to get things sorted out with my iTunes CC.

The problem was as it turned out , I was being charged for one of the hosting sites for Air drop or what ever....a few dollars a month which I missed the sneaky catch they hide to be billed... every month after a trail... and no notification of a bill every month, that some companies do! I called my bank in Canada an we canceled the old card and they sent me a new card ! (that surprised me! .... but it arrived safely! ... I had to call to verify ! )

As for signing back into an Apple ID, as much as I like Macs, their web site is a pain to navigate,blink.pngw00t.gif especially when it defaults back to Thailand when navigating their pages... once that was sorted in my mind, I finally got sorted and my Apple ID is still in Canada...

As for Mavericks on my Mac Air, that is sorted too, the problem there was it turned out to be with Firefox, so again after some fiddling for a few hours!!!! rolleyes.gif ... that seems to be sorted! Mavericks seems OK! thumbsup.gif

lots of problems with the new Operating system... seems to b just a headache... bummer sounded cool

as for the air - i think there is absolutely NO point in getting it - if you want somethign portable and small get an ipad and if u need to type get a macbookpro end of story! wink.png

Update has worked perfectly for me.