What have you ever achieved here in Thailand?

Darren McKenzie

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, now that you made me think about it...

1. Met a few "loves of my life"

2. Wrote/published my first novel while in a small village near Sisaket.

3. Learned to speak Thai and Isaan--which opened up numerous cultural doors and experiences I never would have had otherwise.

4. Trained at the best Muay Thai camps in LOS with the best tier 1 fighters like Annuwat, Yodsanklai, and Buakaw.

5. Work in my current job because of contacts I made in Bangkok.

6. Made good friends with great people--both Thai and farang.

7. Found happiness that I never felt back in my home country. That in itself is the most valuable to me.

Basically, every time I get off the plane and smell that familiar air--my heart starts beating faster and I smile ear to ear--because I know I am finally "home".

Basically, every time I get off the plane and smell that familiar air--my heart starts beating faster and I smile ear to ear--because I know I am finally "home".

yeah you are right thailand is a great country to practice smelling the air. i do it many times a day no less, also take appropriate remedial action often.bah.gifwub.pngwacko.pngsick.gifcrying.gif notice that they are not all the same variety is the spice of life.

yeah you are right thailand is a great country to practice smelling the air. i do it many times a day no less, also take appropriate remedial action often.bah.gifwub.pngwacko.pngsick.gifcrying.gif notice that they are not all the same variety is the spice of life.

I never said it smelled good...just "familiar"--but the diesel fumes, fish sauce, humidity, etc wakes me up. Kind of like coming home from a strip club and smelling like cigarette smoke, vanilla body cream, stale beer, and 5 kinds of poon. They should bottle that smell and sell it. Call it "Lap Dance".

“When I was little and running on the race track at school, I always stopped and waited for all the other kids so we could run together even though I knew (and everybody else knew) that I could run much faster than all of them! I pretended to read slowly so I could "wait" for everyone else who couldn't read as fast as I could! When my friends were short I pretended that I was short too and if my friend was sad I pretended to be unhappy. I could go on and on about all the ways I have limited myself, my whole life, by "waiting" for people. And the only thing that I've ever received in return is people thinking that they are faster than me, people thinking that they can make me feel bad about myself just because I let them and people thinking that I have to do whatever they say I should do.

I'm not waiting for anybody, anymore! I'm going to run as fast as I can, fly as high as I can, I am going to soar and if you want you can come with me! But I'm not waiting for you anymore.”

Seems to me that the egocentric view of, dwelling on what we achieved, is a road block on the actions of what we should achieve and do now.....ie stop thinking about what you did (and patting yourself on the back) get out there and DO something NOW....change the world ....make it a better place to live for the future generations.

Let's have a puff then! smile.png

I suspect that this kind of OP is just designed to generate traffic for TV (maybe tomorrow there will be a post saying "What did you do today?") but since you ask:

I have been gainfully employed for almost 2 decades

Done my part to help get big projects built safely and on time

Helped a lot of young Thai engineers to develope their careers and learn new skills (and speak better English)

I have been really ill (losing my job as a result) and fought back such that I can work again making more money than ever despite some permanent damage from the illness.

I bought a condo in my name and no mortgage over my head

I have kept warm and avoided "Winter Blues"

Most importantly I have had a great time!!clap2.gif

• Like 1

A cool wife and a son. Many students, teachers and other Thais who really respect and like me. Speaking Thai and Isaan.

The ability to eat bugs and baby shrimps still alive. Driving through this country without getting upset, because others just don't get it.

Could go on and on and on.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

So what have you actually achieved?

More hangovers than I ever did back home. thumbsup.gif

I woke up with a lot of girls whose name I didn't know!

.... and never bothered to ask.

And I'm sure that happened a lot in your home country too. giggle.gif

Created two fantastic children (hard work!) and was able to raise them and educate them partly in Thailand. I was able to give them more than proper education in Thailand which these days is going down the drain where I come from.

Life is good and I enjoy it (almost) every day when I am here.

You know you want someone to ask ... so I'll bite. What have you achieved?

Ed, you are one of a few members who has asked Darren what he has achieved.

To date ... he's been coy pouty-face-smiley-emoticon.gif probably a person who, as a kid, didn't like to share his toys.

a great wife and children and a far better life than I could ever have hoped for in the UK. I have also been able to give my wife and 2 children a far better life both spiritually and financially than I could have achieved had I stayed in the UK. As far as business is concerned I would probably have done much better staying the the UK from a financial point of view. Getting out of the grips of the nanny state the UK has become with endless regulation and rules as opposed to the freedom here is an achievement on its own.

I built a life in the UK with a good home and business and managed to do the same here when I first moved here around 20 years ago.

Inner peace, tranquility and a rediscovered sex life after two failed marriages to non asian women who brow beat the desire out of me, Once you discover Asian it is hard to go back to caucasian

Also living a lovely small fishing village with a condo on the beach called Ban Chang watching the sun rise in the morning over the gulf of Thailand, would not be dead for quids

I am a bit confused by the question in OP.

I do not think we have a purpose to 'achieve' anything in life.

We are born (accident, nobody asks us); we live (if we are lucky); we die (that is the law).

In any case 'achievement' is only a perception. Sometimes ours, often in other's minds.

I'm 72+ - is this my 'achievement'? Don't think so. Just luck.

I have more than necessary for a person to live decently. Is this my 'achievement'? Don't think so. Just luck.

Last year I bought a very fast trimaran (wanted it for years). Can this be termed as my 'achievement'? Don't think so.

Helping my wife's daughter to get a Uni degree (just paying fees). No obligations, just my choice. When she graduates will it be my 'achievement'? Don't think so.

Live on the beach with spectacular views from a high floor. Is this my 'achievement'? Not really.

Living in Thailand I eat european food (cooked myself, now my wife cooks it for me and eats it too) just because I prefer it. Is this an 'achievement'? Don't think so.

Now I am content and at peace with myself. Is this a kind of 'achievement'? Not sure. Maybe just my luck or nature.

I came to this country to live and die here. If/when this will happen will it be my 'achievement'? You tell me... biggrin.png

Sounds like one hell of a nice string of achievements.....

At home, I used to live my life at medium speed.

But there is not much time left...

Here, with a combination of price, people's mentality,

interacting (sic) with people who are able to make their own decisions, decisions governed by themselves, and not stemming from taboos created by some restrictive society.

The exercise of authority is quite limited in Thailand.

Let.s not forget that authority is principally used to limit the pleasure of others..

So here I have achieved to live at full speed, which virtually equates to just about doubling up the rest of my lifespan...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have achieved peace of mind . Use to be a angry person in Aus some of the time.Now so much relaxed here.Maybe the stress of my job in Aus . Here is no problems.

• Like 1

Why am i here,, so i don't have to be there and my other can't seem to understand why i won't get out of bed before 9 am,, i keep telling her i don't have chickens to feed or cows or any other animals or that i don't need to go cut the rice so why do i need to get out of bed at the crack of dawn, i am here to forget about there.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have achieved peace of mind . Use to be a angry person in Aus some of the time.Now so much relaxed here.Maybe the stress of my job in Aus . Here is no problems.

Great post.

I'm still relatively young, but the grey hairs are creeping in. Still, not enough from stopping me from getting aggro.

Edited by samran

I broke a cycle of poverty for two little girls. If that's all I accomplish for a whole lifetime, it's good enough for me.

Oh and I managed to plant a load of Bougainvillea that went totally out of control.

• Like 1

Met my stunning, blond haired green eyed wife.

Has a couple of kids. Another on the way.

What else is there?

You're an Thai guy right? And you think it is your accomplishment that you married a Farang?

Well I guess that answers that other thread question, "

Middle Thailand Increasingly Thinking Marrying A Farang Is "Low Class"

Edited by thailiketoo

Met my stunning, blond haired green eyed wife.

Has a couple of kids. Another on the way.

What else is there?

You're an Thai guy right? And you think it is your accomplishment that you married a Farang?

Well I guess that answers that other thread question, "

Middle Thailand Increasingly Thinking Marrying A Farang Is "Low Class"

Mate ... I'll tell you now ... back off.

He's a respected, long time member here.

You could learn more by listening then bagging him.

I note that you haven't made a first Subject thread ...

We wait to see to see your unique insight.

Till then, enjoy your posting.

Geeze ... some people ... dry.png

• Like 1