New Yaris Eco...what do you think?

funcat

Did a testdrive this week. The 1.2 l engine is similar to a Swift or Almera, nothing really interesting here. Compared to the other two is the new Yaris (which is actually now a Vios hatchback unlike the previous model) quite loud due to high revs of the small engine.

Did a testdrive this week. The 1.2 l engine is similar to a Swift or Almera, nothing really interesting here. Compared to the other two is the new Yaris (which is actually now a Vios hatchback unlike the previous model) quite loud due to high revs of the small engine.

I think you got that the wrong way around - the Yaris (Vitz) and VIOS (Belta) have shared the same platform since 2003. The new Yaris is actually the departure from shared underpinnings with it's smaller engine and different gearbox :)

I think you got that the wrong way around - the Yaris (Vitz) and VIOS (Belta) have shared the same platform since 2003. The new Yaris is actually the departure from shared underpinnings with it's smaller engine and different gearbox smile.png

That's what I've noticed and wonder how it would compare with existing ECO cars...for difference it has 4 cyl engine and no manual option.

I'm thinking about getting another small 'shopping car(t)',that my wife can drive and park biggrin.png

Maybe under the hood, the old Yaris looked completely different from the Vios but the new model exactly the same. Enginewise they however screwed up. I don't even think one should call this ECO, with 3...4000 revs on average it will take quite a bit of fuel.

I think it looks great and it is a direct competitor to other small engine cars like Nissan March, Almera, Suzuki Swift, Mitsubishi Mirage and Antrage. And on top to that, according to its design it is going to compete with other hatchbacks like Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta and Honda Jazz. If wanted to buy a car at this moment I would go for the new Yaris.

I think it looks great and it is a direct competitor to other small engine cars like Nissan March, Almera, Suzuki Swift, Mitsubishi Mirage and Antrage. And on top to that, according to its design it is going to compete with other hatchbacks like Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta and Honda Jazz. If wanted to buy a car at this moment I would go for the new Yaris.

Compared to other eco hatchbacks, it's decent sized, stylish and it's a Toyota - not much else to consider at this level if it's a hatchback you want ;)

If you're looking at the Fiesta, 2, Jazz or Sonic though, it's a big step down in acceleration, so same size, different class IMHO.

I still think the Suzuki looks the best out of the eco hatches (inside and out), but the Yaris is a very close 2nd.

The Yaris is very loud compared to the Swift, but has at least double the space inside. Besides the 4 seats.

We're probably getting a 1.4l Sonic instead. Just feels more like a real car. They have a 30k discount promotion for the 631kTHB model, so pricewise it's the same as the Yaris, on top free 1st class insurance (~20k value)and some other goodies.

Edited by MadMac

The Yaris is very loud compared to the Swift, but has at least double the space inside. Besides the 4 seats.

We're probably getting a 1.4l Sonic instead. Just feels more like a real car. They have a 30k discount promotion for the 631kTHB model, so pricewise it's the same as the Yaris, on top free 1st class insurance (~20k value)and some other goodies.

Do a test drive of the sonic first, if it's the 1.4 model. A review of it, and another review of the swift, showed the swift to be a little faster 0-400M. I was quite surprised at that; I guess the sonic is heavier. I have a swift and still like driving it - really good handling and brakes in stock form and punchy enough for city driving and the odd spurt on the highway. I like how the engine is ticking over slowly at 100 km/h, only 1800 rpm or so. Good for fuel economy. No idea about the yaris though but I guess it will sell like hotcakes being a toyota.

Did all 3, Yaris, Swift and Sonic. The Sonic feels way more powerful compared to the other 2. Yaris was running ~3500 revs all the time. That will take a lot of fuel and kill the engine. The Swift was actually fine, about the same performance as the Yaris, quieter, and much smaller, but I like it. The Sonic is sizewise somewhere in between, but the engine makes the difference. Way stronger.