Bright Star Venus ?

coma

Have been noticing a real bright star coming up early evening over Doi Suthep. It sticks out like dogs b..s. Does anybody know the name of it ? Is it indeed a star or one of the planets ? Venus ?? wai.gif

Thanks guys. You know your stuff. Venus !! She is quite the 'beauitful sight' in a city thats sky is usually too hazy to see any stars / planets. wai.gif

@ Sustento That Stellarium program is an awesome tool. Thx.wai.gif

The rule I was taught if it "twinkles" it is a star, if it is steady it is a planet or satelite.

Who taught you that?

The "twinkling" is simply the effect of the earth's atmosphere on light.

But stars twinkle more than planets do they not? Why doesn't the moon twinkle?

Very interesting information indeed. Thanks guys.

I was talking about Venus and other space things with a friend today and he was telling me about a comet coming well close to earth before heading on for a date with the sun. It is called Ison Comet and we should be able to see it in the clear skies over chiang mai in late november. Anybody know anything about it ??

Very interesting information indeed. Thanks guys.

I was talking about Venus and other space things with a friend today and he was telling me about a comet coming well close to earth before heading on for a date with the sun. It is called Ison Comet and we should be able to see it in the clear skies over chiang mai in late november. Anybody know anything about it ??

Run Stellarium, hit F3, type in ison and search. It will show you where it is in the sky at the minute.

. It is called Ison Comet and we should be able to see it in the clear skies over chiang mai in late november. Anybody know anything about it ??

It could be quite a show due to the effect it has on debris fields in its path that could be pushed towards earth giving a Perseid type show. Appears Dec. 08 is the high point of its passing.

Some interesting video on Earthsky.org on Oct 27.

And another video here explaining things a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKFXcaR5UaM

• Like 1

Like all great rules however, this one has an exception. Sometimes the Earth’s atmosphere is moving around so much, or has such a large amount of pollution, that even the light from planets can appear to twinkle.

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/science/is-it-a-star-or-a-planet#sthash.yZjrjt4J.dpuf

There you go. Twinkle Twinkle Little Planet.....

biggrin.png

Venus and Mercury are inside the Earth's orbit and are close to the Sun, so they are only visible either just before Sunrise or just after Sunset.

The other planets however are outside Earth's orbit, so can be seen right across the sky depending on their orbit as they move around the Sun.
Somtimes they are close to the Earth, hence are very bright, sometimes they are a long way away, hence dim.

When close to the Earth, Jupiter is an amazing sight. With binoculars it is easy to see Jupiter's moons.
Supposedly, people with good eyesite (and very clear skys) can see the moons directly.

Aparently the ancient Arab Astronomers had reported the moons centuries before the development of the telescope.

Edited by jackflash
  • Like 1

I live in Phuket and for at least the past two years I've seen a very bright light in the sky, sometimes in the north and other times in the south. Tonight it's in the southern area, and is brighter than any star I've ever seen, and doesn't twinkle like all stars we see. I would say it's at least 10 to 20 times larger than any star and isn't the white color of a star, but a light yellow instead. Anyone else watching this light?

For ISS 10 days predictions, other satellites, sky charts, solar system, comets, etc.. I find this site quite useful: http://www.heavens-above.com/

It's free to register, then you enter your current location and all data will be displayed relatively to your position.

The "spot the station site" that Greenside mentioned sends you an email 12 hours or so before each ISS pass that is visible. Quite handy.

• Like 1

Like all great rules however, this one has an exception. Sometimes the Earth’s atmosphere is moving around so much, or has such a large amount of pollution, that even the light from planets can appear to twinkle.

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/science/is-it-a-star-or-a-planet#sthash.yZjrjt4J.dpuf

There you go. Twinkle Twinkle Little Planet.....

xbiggrin.png.pagespeed.ic.r24L-a7U61.web alt=biggrin.png width=20 height=20>

That is the exception not the rule.