Anti-amnesty bill protest draws people of all ages

Lite Beer

POLITICS
Anti-amnesty bill protest draws people of all ages
Hataikarn Treesuwan
The Sunday Nation

Some arrived in fancy cars, others took taxis or public buses, and some even arrived on bicycles, but 60-year-old Suchat Tuckpibul boarded a train from Bangkok's Don Muang district to Samsen's Kamphaeng Phet 5 Road, where the Democrat Party-led demonstrations against the blanket amnesty bill are taking place.

Suchat said his children were worried that he might be overcome by the huge crowds at the rally site, but he told his kids he was determined to show up to oppose the bill and fugitive former premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

Suchat, who attended with three friends, said he was a veteran of numerous anti-Thaksin protests since the early days of the now-defunct yellow-shirt People's Alliance for Democracy. He told his children that there would be no place left for Thais, if people allowed Thaksin to have his way.

"Me and my three elderly friends always go out together. Because of our age, my children were concerned that we might faint or run into trouble at the protest site, because it's so crowded. But I told my kids that they [protest organisers] have blown the whistle [calling for people to join the protest]. We won't be alive much longer, so it's our duty to join the others," said Suchat, adding that he was also not a big fan of the Democrats.

Suchat said he hoped that if enough people showed up - protest organisers are calling for 300,000 people to join them - then the Yingluck Shinawatra administration would listen.

Among those attending the protests was a large family, including children and grandparents. The younger members seemed oblivious to the speakers on the stage until former PM and party chief adviser Chuan Leekpai appeared with his image flashed on a large backdrop screen via a video projector. "Hey Chuan is here," said one of the children, who then took the opportunity to snap photos of him.

Protest leader, senior Democrat and former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban has promised that demonstrators can expect "good food and music". Seven kitchens were initially set up to feed the protesters, but were increased to 30 on day two. Food served at the protest site covers the cuisine of all Thailand's major regions. Democrat MPs at the site have the dual task of addressing both the crowds and offering moral support as volunteer kitchen hands.

Suthep's brother, Democrat MP Shane Thaugsuban, who represents the same province, went a step further by cooking a southern dish for the protesters. The organisers know that well-fed demonstrators are essential for a prolonged and successful fight.

Stalls have also been set up to sell various items but currently the most popular appears to be a plastic whistle. After all, a whistle was used to launch the protests, and demonstrators are now using whistles to blow out the sound of their dissatisfaction, instead of shouting as in previous anti-Thaksin rallies.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-03

Suthep asks people to join big protest on November 4th

BANGKOK, 2 November 2013 (NNT) – Democrat MP Suthep Thuagsuban has asked people to join the big rally against amnesty bill on November 4th at 10 a.m. onwards.

Mr Suthep was up on the stage at the anti-amnesty bill protest. He asked the people from all occupations to rally against the bill on Monday. He said the protest, which has been taken place for three days, saw at least 50,000 people each day. He said there were still more people who had not joined the protest and therefore he asked for them to show their voice on Monday.

The Suan Dusit Poll recently reported that 57% of the people were against the amnesty law, while 40% agreed with the Democrat Party Leader and MPs who resigned to join the protest.

Mr Suthep added many business people, celebrities, and people in other occupations have expressed their disagreement toward the amnesty bill.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-11-02 footer_n.gif

From the Office of the Prime minister:

I told you that this bill would be good for Thailand and unite people

Tongue_in_cheeky

DISCLAIMER: any resemblence with reality if pure co-incidence

I have said before and will say again - odds on bet, he (the fugitive criminal) will never return, well not in the short term - no balls - far too many enemies just waiting for his return .......

Those enemies are growing by the day.

This is just the start of a potential social and civil melt-down. Wait till the senate has the bill in their hands, you can expect the demonstrations to grow rapidly.... Should the senate actually vote against the huge and obvious opposition to the amnesty bill, and actually vote it through, expect the situation to explode.

At the moment, the boiler is on the gas and the pressure is building, when the senate starts its debate, the gas is turned up. The only release valve is to go with the will of the people. Go against the will of the people.... It's anyone's guess what could happen.

• Like 1

I have said before and will say again - odds on bet, he (the fugitive criminal) will never return, well not in the short term - no balls - far too many enemies just waiting for his return .......

This is just the start of a potential social and civil melt-down. Wait till the senate has the bill in their hands, you can expect the demonstrations to grow rapidly.... Should the senate actually vote against the huge and obvious opposition to the amnesty bill, and actually vote it through, expect the situation to explode.

At the moment, the boiler is on the gas and the pressure is building, when the senate starts its debate, the gas is turned up. The only release valve is to go with the will of the people. Go against the will of the people.... It's anyone's guess what could happen.

When is the senate date does anyone know ?

the other paper says from the 11th.

• Like 1

Thing is every one supposedly is against this bill but there are 2 major questions ... 1 if anyone was serious about apprehending THe Great leader why where Interpol not asked to detain him ? Many of the countried he passes through are members .. 2 Although many of the Democrats/military that have been charged with crimes have stated that they would rather face trial than be aquitted by amnesty how true is this fact. Then figure into this mix the Lesse Majesty law that is part of this and your guess as to what will happen is as good as mine.

Thing is every one supposedly is against this bill but there are 2 major questions ... 1 if anyone was serious about apprehending THe Great leader why where Interpol not asked to detain him ? Many of the countried he passes through are members .. 2 Although many of the Democrats/military that have been charged with crimes have stated that they would rather face trial than be aquitted by amnesty how true is this fact. Then figure into this mix the Lesse Majesty law that is part of this and your guess as to what will happen is as good as mine.

Given that the Democrats (not military ... they haven't been charged with anything) are protesting against the bill, that would indicate that it is true.

The protestors need to paralyse commerce like the yellows and the reds did, that probably wont cause a change of heart in the government but will delay the process. I don't hold much hope for the senate to road block the amnesty but think the Constitutional Court may be the safety valve. After all to exclude those on les majeste charges in the amnesty is discriminatory and breaches the democratic principle of equality.

"Bangkok: Thailand’s opposition leaders plan a legal challenge to a controversial amnesty that could allow fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra to return to the country, as anti-government protesters returned to Bangkok’s streets.

Opposition Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said his party would petition the country’s Constitutional Court for a legal interpretation."

post-46292-0-83892500-1383477333_thumb.j

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/thai-opposition-bid-to-block-amnesty-20131103-2wuff.html#ixzz2ja2AFEp4

"BANGKOK: -- The lecturers of Thammasat University's Faculty of Law issued Sunday a statement against the government's amnesty bill.

The law is unconstitutional, they said. The legal process is not transparent and rushed, though a law like this demands extensive public comments." -- The Nation 2013-11-03

post-46292-0-08335100-1383477874_thumb.j Looks like a good turnout

Edited by waza

Been awhile but I believe know Interpol was approached and I believe Interpol said his crimes were not covered by their mandate.

Not sure on the reason they did not take it on but I believe that was basically it. It was an internal thing not a international thing. His crimes were all in Thailand.

Maybe some one who followed it closer than I did will be able to cast more light on it.

Reported elsewhere that now every university in the country has come out against the bill.

Mrs R wants to go to join in tomorrow and is trying to talk me into going with her, not keen and so far have been able to veto the idea but we will see in days to come.

If it should come about expect heaps of photos.

• Like 1

8th or 11th this month. Seems undecided yet.

Mrs just showed me a video on Facebook of van loads of police who are trying to stop people joining in the rally at Urapong.

They appear to be getting the short shift by the protesters and are hiding in the vans.

Lots of OK Bai's and other 'we don't need you here's' and other such comments.

• Like 1

Has any article bothered to go in to great detail and explain why... why this bill exists? I don't mean opinion, I mean the truth. What reasons are the authors of the bill and those who vote for it providing to the general public? What is their justification?

Have any of the MPs and even the PM given a well laid out public statement as to why they feel this bill is legitimate, and demonstrated in that statement that they are aware of all the possibilities that will result should this bill pass?

Thus far, all I have read is information about anything and everything but the whys and wherefores.

I do not mean what the papers say. I do not even mean what the law itself says. I mean from the mouths of those who wrote this and those who are voting for it... WHY? Specifically why?

I think that is the primary problem here at this moment.

Beyond that, from the PM all the way down to the bum on the street, I see them all as a bunch of hypocritical lunatics moaning about things that do not make sense thus far.

Releasing criminals? What? This goes on every day in the people's own neighborhoods. Crime is rampant and if it were a deadly virus most every Thai would be dead by now.

Truth be told, releasing these "criminals" would not make any difference at all with its effect on society if everyone were to simply go about their own business. In a small space of time, the real criminals would be right back in jail and the ones who were wrongfully accused would get on with their lives, being a bit wiser for the experience.

The crimes that have been committed since the mentioned time span far outweigh the crimes committed during that time span and which are what this fuss is all about. The former mentioned crimes may not be as centralized as the latter, but the point I am making here is that all these "concerned" Thais are looking at the tree and overlooking the forest that they live in every day of their lives.

It simply does not make any sense, and even the point of principle cannot apply here due to the immense amount of hypocrisy in the heart of every Thai involved.

Has any article bothered to go in to great detail and explain why... why this bill exists? I don't mean opinion, I mean the truth. What reasons are the authors of the bill and those who vote for it providing to the general public? What is their justification?

Have any of the MPs and even the PM given a well laid out public statement as to why they feel this bill is legitimate, and demonstrated in that statement that they are aware of all the possibilities that will result should this bill pass?

Thus far, all I have read is information about anything and everything but the whys and wherefores.

I do not mean what the papers say. I do not even mean what the law itself says. I mean from the mouths of those who wrote this and those who are voting for it... WHY? Specifically why?

Beyond that, from the PM all the way down to the bum on the street, I see them all as a bunch of hypocritical lunatics moaning about things that do not make sense thus far.

Releasing criminals? What? This goes on every day in the people's own neighborhoods. Crime is rampant and if it were a deadly virus most every Thai would be dead by now.

Truth be told, releasing these "criminals" would not make any difference at all with its effect on society if everyone were to simply go about their own business. In a small space of time, the real criminals would be right back in jail and the ones who were wrongfully accused would get on with their lives, being a bit wiser for the experience.

The crimes that have been committed since the mentioned time span far outweigh the crimes committed during that time span and which are what this fuss is all about. The former mentioned crimes may not be as centralized as the latter, but the point I am making here is that all these "concerned" Thais are looking at the tree and overlooking the forest that they live in every day of their lives.

It simply does not make any sense, and even the point of principle cannot apply here due to the immense amount of hypocrisy in the heart of every Thai involved.

Why this modified bill exists and has been pushed through in a hurry? Here's your answer from the man who made the changes to the original bill:

What a joke.

Why this modified bill exists and has been pushed through in a hurry? Here's your answer from the man who made the changes to the original bill:

Thank you for that. That really puts it all in a nut shell.