So how many of you act like you actually own thailand?

snake24

snake24

• Advanced Members
  • 650 posts

Posted Today, 09:16

I can safely say that most of you aren't thai but were born in a foreign country and most likely residing mid to long term in thailand probably married or in some sort of relationship to some thai female.

Well suffice to say you aren't actually a citizen of thailand so don't you just find it funny that you would make comments when the thai govt makes rules like say the visa thing with china and then you are somehow offended by it when you're not even a thai citizen. Would you stay in someone else's house and then try to teach him how to mow his lawn, arrange his furniture?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Why would a Thai citizen make comments or be offended by Chinese getting visas easier than westerners? Thais don't need visas to stay in Thailand.

• Like 1

"Guests stay free.

Guests don't have to report to the police every 90 days.

Guests don't have paid sex with the home owners daughters, and in some cases knock them up. "

We are not GUESTS !

A "guest" is someone who is invited, we were not ( atleast most of us) invited to come to live in Thailand, we CHOSE to come to Thailand and that makes us "ALIENS"

Alien = a foreigner, especially one who is not a naturalised citizen of the country where he or she lives.

Guest = a person who is invited to attend, or is staying at a hotel or guest house.

Edited by CharlieH

Yeah there's nothing wrong with his OP but this bloke always has to include references to most of us TV members being with Thai females, which in fact has got nothing to do with what he is saying. I think he is a jealous person with a chip on his shoulder about his pathetic existence

WTH? I was making a suggestion that probably some of you or maybe a majority was in some sort of relationship with a thai female hence that was the reason for your staying in thailand which is true in a sense unless you can prove to me otherwise and you are saying that i am jealous? The bar girl cum wife or rather the highly hi-so intelligent thai wife that chose to be with you instead of with some other native thai guy sure makes for jealousy. rolleyes.gif

I can safely say that most of you aren't thai but were born in a foreign country and most likely residing mid to long term in thailand probably married or in some sort of relationship to some thai female.

Well suffice to say you aren't actually a citizen of thailand so don't you just find it funny that you would make comments when the thai govt makes rules like say the visa thing with china and then you are somehow offended by it when you're not even a thai citizen. Would you stay in someone else's house and then try to teach him how to mow his lawn, arrange his furniture?

If you were a paying oap group guest in a 4 star hotel on a year deal and you heard that the plan was for it to take in biker gangs on long term contracts at huge discount mightn't you think the management had lost their mind?

Wrong. Yes in a way the other guests might be alarmed but here's the fact. The hotel is a business, if the biker gangs could somehow pay to stay there and mind you that's probably how they are going to stay long term in a hotel especially a more upmarket one is by paying just like the other guests who are you to find offence to it?

You see you obviously see yourself as higher up compared to say some biker gang members. The hotel management doesn't see it that way. You pay your hotel bills like the room you keep to the minimal rules like no loud noises for example and you and everyone else is allowed to stay in the hotel. You probably cannot stand the presence of the bikers when let's say you are out at breakfast in the buffet line but the fact of the matter is those bikers have every right to be in the hotel and at the buffet just like you and it's not up to you to pass judgement as to them not being able to stay there.

This is the same exact thing that some of you feel when writing about the china tourists visiting thailand. In some demented way or rather delusional way thinking your presence in thailand is somehow more welcome compared to the vistors/tourists from another country.

If you don't like it go home, you mean ????

I don't really mean posts of that nature cos anyone can say that. Like i'm not in brazil but let's say i speak to a friend who is in brazil and he tells me how it sucks over there i could tell him to just simply go home and i wouldn't be wrong nor would it appear that i'm acting like i'm a citizen of brazil.

This came to mind when thailand announced some sort of visa less restriction to china citizens and also the attraction of a few million high caliber chinese citizens and some of these TV posters were going on how thailand shouldn't do that and so on when they themselves are foreigners so it's really so odd for them to have such an opinion because it's just like the analogy i gave of a guest in someone's house telling the owner how he shouldn't invite someone else over or how he should arrange his furniture etc.

The analogy is not accurate though - How about if you rented an apartment in a block - you don't own it. Now the landlord wants to paint the lobby shocking pink, put up neon lights and open a disco on the ground floor. Do you have no right to complain? Do you have not right to a opinion at all because you do not own the building?

Your analogy may be closer for a tourist here for two weeks, and Thai politics is unlikely to concern them at all - as expected! Unless it impacts them directly - riots etc. However, we live here - we PAY to live here. I am sure if they made it easy to become Thai citizens a lot of us would take the option too - I know I would. Those policies affect us and our Thai families. THIS gives us the right to an opinion. It is not because we think we are better than them - it is because we care about the country, the people, the culture and our loved ones - truly, those that do not are the ones that should go home !

PS: I have no problem with Chinese tourists coming here - why should I? Really miss a decent Hong Kong Chinese too - so hope some stay and open a new local (good at fish n chips in the UK too!) mmmm mouth watering now :P

Edited by wolf5370

just like the analogy i gave of a guest in someone's house telling the owner how he shouldn't invite someone else over or how he should arrange his furniture etc.

If I were already renting the house, and the owner invited someone else to live there too, I would be royally pissed off.

OK, so you're a bludger that contributes nothing, but most of us aren't living here like that.

youre renting a room, not a house

You might be renting a room, I can afford the house and garden.

Just had a new lawn put in, and I'm cutting it the way I want.

Seriously you think you actually own a huge portion of thailand?

How many acres of land do you own?

Do you feel that you being a foreigner and investing a huge amount makes you having a bigger say compared to another foreigner?

Actually i find it ironic cos if some chinese invested heavily in thailand you certainly wouldn't think that they had a bigger say in things compared to you.

I don't really mean posts of that nature cos anyone can say that. Like i'm not in brazil but let's say i speak to a friend who is in brazil and he tells me how it sucks over there i could tell him to just simply go home and i wouldn't be wrong nor would it appear that i'm acting like i'm a citizen of brazil.

This came to mind when thailand announced some sort of visa less restriction to china citizens and also the attraction of a few million high caliber chinese citizens and some of these TV posters were going on how thailand shouldn't do that and so on when they themselves are foreigners so it's really so odd for them to have such an opinion because it's just like the analogy i gave of a guest in someone's house telling the owner how he shouldn't invite someone else over or how he should arrange his furniture etc.

The analogy is not accurate though - How about if you rented an apartment in a block - you don't own it. Now the landlord wants to paint the lobby shocking pink, put up neon lights and open a disco on the ground floor. Do you have no right to complain? Do you have not right to a opinion at all because you do not own the building?

Your analogy may be closer for a tourist here for two weeks, and Thai politics is unlikely to concern them at all - as expected! Unless it impacts them directly - riots etc. However, we live here - we PAY to live here. I am sure if they made it easy to become Thai citizens a lot of us would take the option too - I know I would. Those policies affect us and our Thai families. THIS gives us the right to an opinion. It is not because we think we are better than them - it is because we care about the country, the people, the culture and our loved ones - truly, those that do not are the ones that should go home !

Firstly on the landlord wanting to change the appearance of the building into say a club house well think about it do you actually have the right to tell him not to do it? Actually no none at all. You probably only have the right to change how your own apartment is like how the furniture should be arranged etc. What is done outside is actually none of your business and if it was a condo in which the residents have a say in the management perhaps you could get a few more residents with power to do something but that's not the case at all. You stay in an apartment complex and you only have the rights to do what you want with your apartment that's it. You do know there is a difference between an apartment and a condo in which residents can have a say in managing the condo but that's not the case for thailand cos non thais don't really have a say in managing anything.

Secondly your analogy on chinese citizens visiting thailand and trying to equate it to the landlord drastically changing the appearance of the apartment block or in another TV poster's example of inviting in biker gangs is rather silly. I can see why you would want to use such ridiculous over drawn examples though which is to push your point through. In reality it's just plain biasness probably even bordering on racism. The tourists from another country aren't biker gang members while the tourists from your country are all exemplary members of society. It really is plain biasness and it's more along these lines. You rent an apartment in a block you come from let's say region A of the country. You hear that ppl from region B of the country are going to rent the apartments in your block and you're unhappy cos you don't like ppl from region B but the ppl from region B are just like ppl from region A they aren't gang members or anything. If let's say there were ppl from a place say scotland and they were visiting thailand enmass and living in a certain part of thailand and i happened to live there and i complained of them would you feel for me or would you say i was being an arse? Scotland mind you now you can see your biasness come out.

I use to use the "don't like it? go home! " line a lot here.

Got called down for it by a certain moderator I have learned to respect a little.

Thought about it and he was correct.

It solves nothing, is rude and inappropriate.

Now I say" don't like it? change it or get over it!".

Edited by willyumiii

Firstly on the landlord wanting to change the appearance of the building into say a club house well think about it do you actually have the right to tell him not to do it? Actually no none at all. You probably only have the right to change how your own apartment is like how the furniture should be arranged etc. What is done outside is actually none of your business and if it was a condo in which the residents have a say in the management perhaps you could get a few more residents with power to do something but that's not the case at all. You stay in an apartment complex and you only have the rights to do what you want with your apartment that's it. You do know there is a difference between an apartment and a condo in which residents can have a say in managing the condo but that's not the case for thailand cos non thais don't really have a say in managing anything.

Secondly your analogy on chinese citizens visiting thailand and trying to equate it to the landlord drastically changing the appearance of the apartment block or in another TV poster's example of inviting in biker gangs is rather silly. I can see why you would want to use such ridiculous over drawn examples though which is to push your point through. In reality it's just plain biasness probably even bordering on racism. The tourists from another country aren't biker gang members while the tourists from your country are all exemplary members of society. It really is plain biasness and it's more along these lines. You rent an apartment in a block you come from let's say region A of the country. You hear that ppl from region B of the country are going to rent the apartments in your block and you're unhappy cos you don't like ppl from region B but the ppl from region B are just like ppl from region A they aren't gang members or anything. If let's say there were ppl from a place say scotland and they were visiting thailand enmass and living in a certain part of thailand and i happened to live there and i complained of them would you feel for me or would you say i was being an arse? Scotland mind you now you can see your biasness come out.

I wasn't commenting on the Chinese thing at all - in fact I stated that I have no problem with it. So, yes my bias came out - none.

I was commenting that we have the right to comment, to criticise and to complain as we live here and the people we care about also live here. We would not be able to stop the landlord doing what he wants (well ignoring the courts for now as that is not analogous), but that doesn't stop us complaining to him, or about him to other residents. I am not sure if you are intentionally trying to be obtuse in your understanding of my, and others posts on the right to opinion or not, or you really believe that the "owner" has the right to do anything they want anytime without analysis or critique unless by other "owners", howsoever it affects others. In which scenario would that actually be true? I can think or none that involves adults that have not lost their rights to incarceration.

I can not really understand what you mean when you suggest we are doing more than just jabbering about it - how have people here actively attempted to physically change anything? What have they done? welded shut Chinese airplane doors or something? It is all hyperbola; people who are affected that moan about their predicament, and those predicting given a political decision/portend or some sort.

And again...I couldn't care less if Chinese tourist come here en masse. I quite like the Chinese personally (my kids are 1/4 Chinese from their maternal-paternal great grandparents) - Scottish too (as I'm a descendant :)).

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." (Voltaire)

I wasn't commenting on the Chinese thing at all - in fact I stated that I have no problem with it. So, yes my bias came out - none.

I was commenting that we have the right to comment, to criticise and to complain as we live here and the people we care about also live here. We would not be able to stop the landlord doing what he wants (well ignoring the courts for now as that is not analogous), but that doesn't stop us complaining to him, or about him to other residents. I am not sure if you are intentionally trying to be obtuse in your understanding of my, and others posts on the right to opinion or not, or you really believe that the "owner" has the right to do anything they want anytime without analysis or critique unless by other "owners", howsoever it affects others. In which scenario would that actually be true? I can think or none that involves adults that have not lost their rights to incarceration.

I can not really understand what you mean when you suggest we are doing more than just jabbering about it - how have people here actively attempted to physically change anything? What have they done? welded shut Chinese airplane doors or something? It is all hyperbola; people who are affected that moan about their predicament, and those predicting given a political decision/portend or some sort.

And again...I couldn't care less if Chinese tourist come here en masse. I quite like the Chinese personally (my kids are 1/4 Chinese from their maternal-paternal great grandparents) - Scottish too (as I'm a descendant smile.png).

"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." (Voltaire)

Yes you are correct that we should all have an opinion but it's rather the self righteousness behind that opinion that causes the offense. There really isn't any logical explaination for foreigners residing in a country to somehow get offended that their host country is welcoming foreigners from another country.

Taking action doesn't really come into picture at all.

Here's another example. Let's take the UK. Now there are foreigners or immigrants from muslim countries that want to impose say sharia law unto the country. Needless to say the natives of the UK aren't too pleased with it but i am sure they are even more incensed by those that push for those laws cos it goes against the logical laws of human nature and the sense of self righteousness behind it. The muslims or rather the fanatics feel it is perfectly fine for them to impose these foreign laws but even 3rd party ppl not from the country feel that's just ridiculous. They are furthered angered by the self righteousness of these foreigners to try to impose their own rules when they are the visitors like how dare they even think of that and many of the immigrants themselves think that's unreasonable and you will agree that they have no logical reason to call for it.