Bangkok's Miracle Eyes home-surveillance project to be launched

webfact

Miracle Eyes home-surveillance project to be launched today
The Nation

30218745-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- A SURVEILLANCE project initiated by the police, which relays images from cameras installed in people's homes directly to police stations throughout Bangkok, will be launched today as a pilot scheme, National Police chief Pol General Adul Saengsingkaew said yesterday.

When fully implemented the Miracle Eyes project would require homeowners in the scheme to pay a monthly fee, via the Telephone Organisation of Thailand.

The TOT provides technical and logistical support as a joint project owner.

The monthly fee starts at Bt300, which is paid on top of the entry and installation fee, which for an initial unit is Bt6,000.

Interested homeowners can register and obtain further information from all 100 TOT offices in the capital.

Camera installation is divided into three levels depending on size and space: one to three cameras at household level; four to 10 units for small businesses including gold shops and bank branches, and 11-100 units for large spaces or public areas.

All 88 Bangkok-based police stations are ready to run the pilot project and Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra will preside over a launch ceremony and press conference today, Adul said.

Under Miracle Eyes, police patrols are expected to arrive at any scene where crimes or break-ins take place within five to 10 minutes.

Surveillance footage will also be used for other purposes such as traffic direction and post-crime detective inquiries.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-05

"Under Miracle Eyes, police patrols are expected to arrive at any scene where crimes or break-ins take place within five to 10 minutes."

I suppose adultery isn't a crime. Besides, 5 minutes is more than enough time for most Thai men to finish their business.

Who is going to be looking at images on the other side,

The Police seem to be thinking up all kinds of business

ventures,of late,as well as their usual ****s er, Schemes

the have add tow truck operations,now home surveillance,

one wonders if the real motive is to help or earn extra funds

regards Worgeordie

As well as cameras in bedrooms there will also be special waterproof cameras in all showers.

We are at present accepting offers from those who wish to apply for the jobs monitoring department

PS. Videos are expected to be on sale from early next year.

Just another stupid statement to attempt to take attention from the real important issues.

"The monthly fee starts at Bt300, which is paid on top of the entry and installation fee, which for an initial unit is Bt6,000." For 300 a month, you get a private who will not watch the monitors. For 1,000 a captain will ignore it.

• Like 1

For some reason, there will be an increase in home burglaries after this launch!

the last people I want keeping an eye on my house is the police!

Agree. With the level of corruption, these cameras will let them know when the house vacant.

"Under Miracle Eyes, police patrols are expected to arrive at any scene where crimes or break-ins take place within five to 10 minutes."

I have a feeling this is going to spark a lot of joke from this forum.

Ok, here goes.

They can be there quicker, if they are already there.

I have a few problems, with this story, perhaps not all details are given.

1. How would they monitor all cameras 27/7, this is an impossible thing to do.

2. How do they know when a break-in has occurred, there is no indication that a "monitored" alarm system will also be installed.

3. 5 minutes response time, lol, sorry, I find that hard to believe given road and traffic conditions, location of the police and the lack of many road signs. Just ask a cab to take you somewhere, they usually ask you for directions, the police have no chance.

If I put aside the big brother element, the potential for self incrimination and a money making cynical view I think it does have some merit.

House break-ins are high personal safety impact crimes, they are not just about belongings stolen but they are invasion of your safe place, put your family at risk and can put you in a position of doing things to protect your family which are generally not in your nature.

I know quite a few people who put this as their highest concern in choosing a place to stay.

My home was broken into last year, I took the time as amateur/tv armchair detective to profile the thief and also note all the security camera's in my street to pass on to the police.

When I went to the police, their main question was on the value of what was stolen but they would only consider video footage if I gathered and prepared it, I was disappointed to say the least. I had hoped they would take 30 minutes to visit one of the high end houses in the street with top end camera's or even the 7-11 on the corner to pull a bike number plate but they were not interested.

The number of criminals caught and goods returned as a result of these camera's have the potential will be their best selling point but lets hope they still follow up on the camera's with actual police work.

\i would prefer to set up my own system wtitha WIFI link to a digital recorder but unless I ca find a secure place to locate the DVR it will probably be knicked and back on sale in the shop that sold it to me within days of installation!! (O Ye of little Faith including me!)

It is cheaper to buy your own surveillance camera and have everything recoded. It will not stop the crime but it will have it recorded and even the thai police might be able to catch the criminal. Fat chance that the police will be at your home in 5 minuets. It takes longer then that to get through a traffic light let alone a traffic jam