• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a wonder the Thai Government is not up in arms about making

a movie in Thailand called the Coup ,might give the country a bad

name,and sully its image ! even more.

regards Worgeordie

it's a bit difficult to complain about fictional movie coups giving the country a bad name and image when you've, you know, actually had coups.

suspect the several million dollars the movie studio is lobbing at the thai government is enough to offset any perceived loss of face or embarrassment etc. plus the movie country in question isn't thailand, it's just a generic asian country i think.

Anyone seen "LOST IN THAILAND " ? Its the movie that has all the Chinese coming to Chiang Mai .

Yes, actually. It played for a week this year during Chinese New Year at Central Airport Plaza. I can't believe I paid good money to see it. I kept waiting for it to get better. It was the same week they played Lincoln and another Oscar-nominated film -- why oh why didn't I walk out?

It was as painful as Hangover II but without the drinking or raunch to make it fun. Basically just a slapslick chase movie that showed a lot of major landmarks in and around Chiang Mai, in no particular order. For example -- "our heroes" entered in main entrance of Wat Bupharam (on busy Thapae Rd), gawked at the Donald Duck statue that has been there forever, had a dust-up with some bad guys, ran up and down a lot of wooden steps and exited thru a side exit of the wat, out onto a deserted country road. Huh?

My first thought was why would this movie encourage anyone to come visit Chiang Mai? Then, of course, we began to realize the caliber of the Chinese tourists and now understand that they make us Americans look cultured, refined and polite.

The Coup has got to be much, much better!

Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Not a bad plot ... perhaps it's time for "Thai-Visa ... the Movie" ? rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif alt=rolleyes.gif width=20 height=20>

That would be impossible, most TV members have already lost the plot...

Thank you we all crave recognition.

I was walking by the main entrance to the Imperial Mai Ping and they had traffic blocked off in front of the main entrance. They even had me wait a couple of moments before I could walk by it. I looked in and it was all by the front entrance quite away from the road.

Why do they shoot these scenes and pretend like there is no cars on the road or only a few when they want to do a 100KPH chase through the center of a big town.

Yes they were looking for extras the week before last .I applied but have not heard anything since .;-(

How can one apply to be an extra, has anyone found a site with available set jobs...or am I too late?

You are probably too late .The film company have an office on the ground floor of the Imperial Maeping hotel .

Yes they were looking for extras the week before last .I applied but have not heard anything since .;-(

How can one apply to be an extra, has anyone found a site with available set jobs...or am I too late?

You are probably too late .The film company have an office on the ground floor of the Imperial Maeping hotel .

Much too late. Casting was completed about 2 weeks ago.

If guys can get in a sh*tpot full of trouble for jamming for no money..... what does the law say about a farang working as an extra.....???

Maybe just hanging around as a blivet doesn't count as work.

Edited by Gonzo the Face

If guys can get in a sh*tpot full of trouble for jamming for no money..... what does the law say about a farang working as an extra.....???

Maybe just hanging around as a blivet doesn't count as work.

I think its a grey area ,where they pay cash in hand .

• Like 1

There is an exception in the Immigration code. I saw the document.

I see, the Thai government is willing to be flexible on the immigration, visas and work permits for something important, like filming a movie. On issues of no consequence, such as teaching English or volunteering to help the poor, they are strict and inflexible. Good to see they have their priorities straight.

• Like 2

I see, the Thai government is willing to be flexible on the immigration, visas and work permits for something important, like filming a movie. On issues of no consequence, such as teaching English or volunteering to help the poor, they are strict and inflexible. Good to see they have their priorities straight.

Makes no sense to me either but hey...must be because the film companies are bringing big money to be spent in Thailand. Money is more important to them I guess.

Makes no sense to me either but hey...must be because the film companies are bringing big money to be spent in Thailand. Money is more important to them I guess.

I think if you interpret that it means, that if more people like the movie scenes of Thailand, then they will bring their money to Thailand, and then there would be a all new crop for the scammers [and their helpers] to harvest.

There are short term (up to 15 days) W.P. available for special circumstances, especially if the job is one that a Thai is not able to perform, such as portraying a frangian expat.

Edited by daoyai

There are short term (up to 15 days) W.P. available for special circumstances, especially if the job is one that a Thai is not able to perform, such as portraying a frangian expat.

I have no idea why they need farangs at all. With the fixation this countries has for skin whitener creams that are sold they have plenty of them to do the job...whistling.gif

Edited by khwaibah

Owen Wilson's mere presence in a movie guarantees that said movie will be a dog. With that whiny voice, blond vacant aging surfer looks, and non-existent acting ability, he has the whole package of filmic mediocrity. How he got the lead in Midnight in Paris is an eternal mystery. He is the George Peppard of contemporary cinema.

Pierce Brosnan, on the other hand, is a very good actor, like most of the UK/Irish guys.

Some serious opinion there...... by the way , how are you and your brother Jesse doing these days???

Just wondering where this movie with a coup is supposed to be set?? Sounds obviously Thailand and with them using CM as a backdrop with all the Thai signage everywhere, they won't be able to fool many who have seen it and know the recent [and ongoing] coup history here in LOS. Any clues guys???

Owen Wilson's mere presence in a movie guarantees that said movie will be a dog. With that whiny voice, blond vacant aging surfer looks, and non-existent acting ability, he has the whole package of filmic mediocrity. How he got the lead in Midnight in Paris is an eternal mystery.

I can solve that eternal mystery for you. Woody Allen picked him. He even re-wrote the script to accommodate him. And it made pots of money, so obviously your "guarantee" isn't worth the paper it's not written on.

Admittedly he's made some guano, but what actor hasn't?

Owen Wilson's mere presence in a movie guarantees that said movie will be a dog. With that whiny voice, blond vacant aging surfer looks, and non-existent acting ability, he has the whole package of filmic mediocrity. How he got the lead in Midnight in Paris is an eternal mystery.

I can solve that eternal mystery for you. Woody Allen picked him. He even re-wrote the script to accommodate him. And it made pots of money, so obviously your "guarantee" isn't worth the paper it's not written on.

Admittedly he's made some guano, but what actor hasn't?

Little known Hollywood Insider Factoid: "Guano" is O.W's middle name. Midnight in Paris was brilliant when The Actor Playing Woody Allen to Excruciating Neurotic Excess met up with famous literary lights of the past. Those were scenes in which Wilson was almost a bit player. When he was paired up with the girlfriend, an actress even more annoying than Wilson, the movie was a pile. Now this is one nobody's personal prejudice/opinion and counts for nothing, but doesn't every serious "cinephile" has has mental roster of actors whose very presence in a film, even though millions of others might adore that actor...they make you go frantically searching for the remote?

Some of these for me...Owen Wilson; George Peppard; George Hamilton; (classics dept) ; Sean Penn; Ryan Gosling; Leonardo diCaprio (except in The Departed); Francois Arnaud (Love The Borgias series, can't stand him) ; Shia LeBeouf; David Caruso ...Ok that's enough, it's veering off the topic.

If this movie (working title: The Coup) is any good, it will be because of Brosnan, a real actor. And the script, of course.

doesn't every serious "cinephile" has has mental roster of actors whose very presence in a film, even though millions of others might adore that actor...they make you go frantically searching for the remote?

Some of these for me...Owen Wilson; George Peppard; George Hamilton; (classics dept) ; Sean Penn; Ryan Gosling; Leonardo diCaprio (except in The Departed); Francois Arnaud (Love The Borgias series, can't stand him) ; Shia LeBeouf; David Caruso

George Peppard did his bestwork early in his career (I loved The Strange One and The Blue Max) and parlayed it into matinee style soft action stuff and Banacek. Sean Penn, well he's done some brilliant stuff and it doesn't need defending. Ryan Gosling I agree, he needs a decent role to be interesting and not just irritating.

Leo? Hardly put a foot wrong. Francois Arnaud - who he? Shia Labeouf, yes he's just an ex-teen actor trying to eke out a career. I haven't seen his attempt at serious stuff yet. David Caruso, well apart from a reasonable showing in Kiss of Death he's always done TV and bit parts and probably always will.

Top of my "turn it off straight away" list, and I wonder how they ever get lead roles, would be crossover actors like Mark Wahlberg and The Rock, then they come up with Pain and Gain and turn opinions on their head.

Then you have a-holes like Tyler Perry. Now that one is the remote going through the TV, don't get me started.

Just wondering where this movie with a coup is supposed to be set?? Sounds obviously Thailand and with them using CM as a backdrop with all the Thai signage everywhere, they won't be able to fool many who have seen it and know the recent [and ongoing] coup history here in LOS. Any clues guys???

My bet is on it being the nation of South-East Asiana, that might as easily be Thailand as it would be Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia or the Philippines.

Sure if you're from Chiang Mai or Thailand you'll recognize it, but let's keep in mind this is an Owen Wilson movie; the target demographic doesn't own a passport.

And of course there will be some mild ripples in Thailand, more because hollywood movies are such an irresistable opportunity for some self-aggrandizing Thai journalist or politician to get his 5 minutes of fame, with maybe even an article in Salon.com written by an American travelling blogger-chick that nobody reads. (Cue: The Beach, The Hangover and all the others.)

Then Owen & Pierce will smile their prettiest pretty-boy smile and lavish some praise about the wonderful experience they had in Thailand, and people can go back to other things that also don't matter.

(Between you and me though I'm personally hoping Thailand comes off as a seriously dodgy place; people will then think I'm cool and adventurous again to live here. smile.png And maybe Thai people might realize that coups aren't necessarily happy bloodless events where Bangkokians stick flowers on tanks, but I'm really stretching it here of course.)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

My bet is on it being the nation of South-East Asiana, that might as easily be Thailand as it would be Burma, Vietnam, Cambodia or the Philippines.

Sure if you're from Chiang Mai or Thailand you'll recognize it, but let's keep in mind this is an Owen Wilson movie; the target demographic doesn't own a passport.

And of course there will be some mild ripples in Thailand, more because hollywood movies are such an irresistable opportunity for some self-aggrandizing Thai journalist or politician to get his 5 minutes of fame, with maybe even an article in Salon.com written by an American travelling blogger-chick that nobody reads. (Cue: The Beach, The Hangover and all the others.)

Then Owen & Pierce will smile their prettiest pretty-boy smile and lavish some praise about the wonderful experience they had in Thailand, and people can go back to other things that also don't matter.

(Between you and me though I'm personally hoping Thailand comes off as a seriously dodgy place; people will then think I'm cool and adventurous again to live here. smile.png And maybe Thai people might realize that coups aren't necessarily happy bloodless events where Bangkokians stick flowers on tanks, but I'm really stretching it here of course.)

"...this is an Owen Wilson movie; the target demographic doesn't even own a passport."

Great line... let's hope it doesn't encourage them to get one.

i heard from some extras that the signs on the stores were all replaced with burmese script... so i thought the movie is being "shot" in burma...

Owen Wilson's mere presence in a movie guarantees that said movie will be a dog. With that whiny voice, blond vacant aging surfer looks, and non-existent acting ability, he has the whole package of filmic mediocrity. How he got the lead in Midnight in Paris is an eternal mystery. He is the George Peppard of contemporary cinema.

And he's got a matching off-screen personality: