pizza stone

Showbags

When I built my house, I used polished granite for the counter tops in the bathrooms. I use the peice that was cut out for the sinks for pizza. there are many places that sell it in all sizes and it's not very expensive.

• Like 1

When I built my house, I used polished granite for the counter tops in the bathrooms. I use the peice that was cut out for the sinks for pizza. there are many places that sell it in all sizes and it's not very expensive.

Nice.

Granite is never mentioned on any of the sites I looked it up on.

How do the pizzas taste off of it?

Some stone is not suitable because it will explode, not handle the high heat, is the granite holding up ok ?

i used a floor tile as well, it did crack after a couple of pizzas and flames shot up from it whilst it was in the oven - quite spectacular and ruined the pizza as it turned itself into a calzone.

my floor tile was a polished tile which i heard contained lead according to the internet - so I baked it a couple of times before I used it.

Pizza stones are just unglazed ceramic tiles, although usually thicker than regular floor tiles. You need to heat them up slowly so that they don't expand too quickly and shatter. Cool them down the same way. I wouldn't use soapstone, while it is a superior countertop material, it contains a lot of talc and is quite soft. Also it is not porous and therefore won't absorb moisture from the pizza dough (which improves crispiness).

Pizza stones are just unglazed ceramic tiles, although usually thicker than regular floor tiles. You need to heat them up slowly so that they don't expand too quickly and shatter. Cool them down the same way. I wouldn't use soapstone, while it is a superior countertop material, it contains a lot of talc and is quite soft. Also it is not porous and therefore won't absorb moisture from the pizza dough (which improves crispiness).

Highly recommended here...

Nice.

Granite is never mentioned on any of the sites I looked it up on.

How do the pizzas taste off of it?

Some stone is not suitable because it will explode, not handle the high heat, is the granite holding up ok ?

I've used the same piece for 15 years. Still looks the same as it did when I first used it but don't make pizzas everyday. I heat the oven up on max for about 45 minutes before I cook the pizzas. I would cook more but where I live I can't get any good yeast. Even though it says it expires in 2 years, it's dead.

• Like 2

most places that sell Pizza Ovens have the stones that go inside of them, you can ask them to cut them to size

In Pattaya there is one place on 3rd road that sells restaurant equipment that has them

Also, you may want to consider Cooking Steel, I've had better luck with mine than the stone

Highly recommended here...

So, at a site that sells soapstone pizza stones, we discover that soapstone pizza stones are highly recommended. Who'd have known?

True, they have high thermal mass making them great heat sinks/sources, but I can't see using one due to the softness and weight. I suppose if it were left in the oven all the time and never handled, this might not be a big problem. I've never tested one, but they just seem unwieldy and impractical compared to a slice of unglazed ceramic.

True Value is very expensive and gives very bad service if a product is brought back for warranty.

Siam Paragon departmentstore sells them for 1500-2000 baht.

I have membershipcard at pizzacompany, 2 for the price of 1 by takeaway. I can't make nice pizza's like their superdeluxe so i stopped trying.

Like the idea of using Granite, although we brought a Pizza Stone (I guess, Soap Stone as someone here has suggested) with us from Australia.

Probably a bit heavy to import but maybe if you have visitors from Oz, they can bring one for you. They were available at Bunnings Hardware and BBQs Galore in Perth...probably other cities as well.

I purchased my stone in Oz when I was there in May. It came with an aluminium spatula (pizza peel). The lot only cost me $10 from a kitchen shop. It pays to look around, if you have the time as I found a huge variance in price for the same thing. BBQ Galore was $40. Ouch!

A very easy trick I found about is to use parchment paper (baking paper). Roll out your dough on the paper as you can get it really thin if that is what you like, add whatever, then transfer the paper and the pizza to the stone. The exposed paper usually burns but the paper under the pizza is fine. I get a really crisp base.

Be careful with the temp in your oven for granite and parchment!

I had a thick slab of granite which I used many times in my old oven at about 500 F. The new oven, however, will go to about 600 F. When I heated the stone to that temp a black tar-like substance oozed out of the stone (maybe some sort of sealer?). It made quite a mess of the oven and of course ruined the stone.

I also discovered that parchment cannot be heated that hot: it starts to burn.

Since many pizza recipes call for getting your oven as hot as possible, I like to crank it up. I have found that the pizza stone I bought at True Value does the trick.

Edited by richsilver

With granite, you're taking a gamble. Some pieces have flaws and will crack in pretty short order. So you should be prepared to purchase a few before you find one that holds up. I now use thick, 1 foot square unglazed terracotta tiles in my home. Ocassionally one cracks but they're so cheap it doesn't matter.

Be careful with the temp in your oven for granite and parchment!

I had a thick slab of granite which I used many times in my old oven at about 500 F. The new oven, however, will go to about 600 F. When I heated the stone to that temp a black tar-like substance oozed out of the stone (maybe some sort of sealer?). It made quite a mess of the oven and of course ruined the stone.

I also discovered that parchment cannot be heated that hot: it starts to burn.

Since many pizza recipes call for getting your oven as hot as possible, I like to crank it up. I have found that the pizza stone I bought at True Value does the trick.

I was getting quite excited about using a piece of left over granite from my countertop until I read this. I must admit I'd been thinking about what process they do to seal the granite before you buy it. I know it's not 'raw' granite so to speak.

Maybe the idea of carrying one back with me from the US after Christmas is sounding better and better