Extended Thai Driving Licenses

Just extended my Thai driving licenses (car AND motorcycle) today and here are the experiences:

Licenses due for re-newal: Feb. 26, 2004 (today)

Documents taken with me:

- Old Thai licenses

- Passport, 4 x 1 inch photographs made a week ago

- 2 copies of the photo side and 2 copies of the side with the latest visa extension

stamp of the passport

If you just apply for one license (car OR motorcycle) cut the aformentioned numbers in half.

Due to my place of residence (Sathon district in Bangkok) I had to go the office in Bangkutien (Rama 2), Soi Wat Hua Krabue

Driver licenses are handled on the 2ND FLOOR (no need to report downstairs) go right up

Presented my documents at one of the counters facing the class doors you are coming through

Officier checked the documents and indicated that drivers licenses are good for 5 years now (no suggestion to choose between 1 or 5 years)

He handed 2 forms (because application was made for two licenses) in Thai language.

Data to be filled in:

- Date of application

- Name of driver (in English)

- Nationality, address of residance (in Thai), passport number

- Check the type of license you apply for

- Signature of applicant

Back to the previous counter. The officier cross-checked everything and handed all back with the remark to proceed to the counter right across and get a waiting number. Just got the number in the hand when it was already called. Proceeded to counter no 5 (there are counter 1 - 6 handling the cases). The officier took all the paperwork over and I paid a total of Baht 760. (505 Baht for the car license and 255 for motorcycle). A receipt was handed with the remark to wait until my waiting number (the previous one remained valid) is called again. About 10 minutes later this was the case. Now an officier checked for the first time my original passport and went through all pages. Was requested two make again 2 copies of the latest visa extension stamp. No problem because there was a photocopier in the same room. Cost per copy 1 Baht each.

Signed the copies, signed the receipts for receiving the licenses and signed the drivers licenses. That was it. New expiration dates April 18 (my birthday) 2552 (= year 2009).

Total time passed since entering the building: 30 minutes although there was quite a crowd of applicants.

Can absolutely confirm this. I do renew at Transport Office Area 3 in charge for Sukhumvit - Phrakanong area.

Ask one of the ladies at the entrance to fill in the form for me. Go counter 1 or 2,

to check the documents. get a number-slip and wait in front of counter 3 for 30-40 minutes for my number to be called, or a smile to my farang-face, seems the officer must know the usually only one farang face must be me. :o

Sign the new licence and be off. (Yes, last year got informed, "now 5 years, you take 5 years")

:o I received my first one year Thai driving license while I was living in Pattaya but since moved to my wife's village in Sa Kaeo Province. When I want to renew the license and have the five year one, can I go to the Sa Kaeo office or must I return to Pattaya in order for renewal? If anybody has information about that please e-mail me at [email protected].

I received my first one year Thai driving license while I was living in Pattaya but since moved to my wife's village in Sa Kaeo Province. When I want to renew the license and have the five year one, can I go to the Sa Kaeo office or must I return to Pattaya in order for renewal? If anybody has information about that please e-mail me at [email protected].

you can automatically get the renewal in pattaya since that is your last address listed with them, nothing is sent to your old address and you will receive your new license the same day.

but to change your address and get the renewal at the location closer to your village, they will require a document from your embassy stating your new address.

Normally they require the address documentation from Immigration, not from your embassy.

Richard Hall: why did you have to make more photo copies of your visa stamp? Sure, I know 1 bath is nothing, even the 3-5 bath they charge per copy here in Pattaya, but why, if you already brought copies?

Normally they require the address documentation from Immigration, not from your embassy.

relaying what was required when i switched to a new address on my license and received a renewal at a different location.

madsere, where and when did you have your thai license address changed?

I haven't changed my address but when I had my first license one of the documents required was confirmation of my address from Immigration.

although it's listed as a requirement for new licenses, i only had to go to my embassy for this letter after moving up to bangkok and switching offices.

For a Thai driver's license, you officially need:

Passport with non-immigrant visa, with photocopies of the front page and visa

Affidavit of Residence from your Embassy or consulate, which is just a letter saying you are residing in Thailand at a specific address. This Affidavit must be less than 1 month old. If doing 2 licenses, e.g., car and motorbike, then you can use a copy for the 2nd license

Driving a Car - www.ThailandGuru.com

Thai Driver License

The paper documents needed to apply for a driving license

1.  Passport with non-immigrant visa (original, before the visa expires) 

and photo copy.

2.  Present resident address certified by the applicant's Embassy and photo copy or work permit or Immigration officer and photo copy.

Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office - Driving Licenses & Information

Richard Hall: why did you have to make more photo copies of your visa stamp? Sure, I know 1 bath is nothing, even the 3-5 bath they charge per copy here in Pattaya, but why, if you already brought copies?

I don't know why the additional copies were required but what the h... the officier at the counter had the licenses ready and was flipping through all pages (stamp collection) of my passport. Eventually, he decided for (additional) copies of the page with the latest entry extension and well, the photo copier machine was just 10 meters away.

Not worth starting a debate with an uniformed one to safe those 10 meters and the 2 baht. Well, guess the Thai way of life has started to rub off and so I decided for the way of least resistance which was a smile and the go :o You may call me a smiling gofer now but at least my butt pocket bears the pieces of desire (licenses) and this was basically all I was striving for.

CM Immigration told me that the address verifiction must be through your embassy if there is one local to you. If not, then immigration, or the police station in your district, can issue the paperwork for your license. You also don't need to go to immigration every 90 days to register yourself. You can do it at your local pd, too, according to immigration

:o Another question about renewal of Thai driving license: For the five year renewal what papers do I need? Is it the same as when I applied for the first one year? Then it was a copy of International diving license, Swedish national license, police paper from Immigration, passport copies, health certificate. e-mail: [email protected]

:o Another question about renewal of Thai driving license: For the five year renewal what papers do I need? Is it the same as when I applied for the first one year? Then it was a copy of International diving license, Swedish national license, police paper from Immigration, passport copies, health certificate. e-mail: [email protected]

Since we are talking RENEWAL and not application for a Thai driving license you just need the following independant from whether the renewed license is going to be valid for one or five years:

- Thai driving license to be renewed

- 2 x 1" photo (not older than 6 months)

- passport with non-immigrant visa

- copies of the passport pages: 1. the one bearing the picture 2. the one showing your latest entry permit extension stamp

That's it.

NO need for proof of residence (provided your use the same address as shown on your old license), health certificate, foreign licenses (international and/or national)