Durians and other fresh fruits (at the markets)

• 6 months later...

The major durian season is here!

Most that are available this season seems to be D158 kan yao ก้านยาว and D159 mon thong หมอนทอง. The D123 ชะนีไข่ which I like seems to be only available in winter season (December/January). At least I haven't found any so far.

This is D159

post-17753-0-10626500-1404642541_thumb.j

Edited by Mole

Is D123 Chanee?

I haven't eaten much apart from durian these last 1-2 weeks, the Gan Yaos are sooooo good, and yesterday I scored a bunch of very small ones, I forgot the name - a variety I haven't tried before.

Have also had some very nice "durian baan"s - I understand the 'baan' (village?) means they're "backyard" fruits, not commercially grown, from people's gardens. Very cheap (20-30 baht/kg), small and sometimes very good, sometimes meh.

I finally found D123, albeit from Chumpon.

The vendor is just opposite Beach Republic in Lamai, right at the little T junction.

Very reasonable prices. The one I bought was about 1.2 KG and she only wanted 40bt.

post-17753-0-49105000-1404726557_thumb.j post-17753-0-76612300-1404726562_thumb.j

• 9 years later...
On 11/9/2013 at 12:47 AM, Maramook said:

Could you guys suggest me where I can buy fresh fruits (not in the shops or malls) and durians in particular? Somebody told me I can do this at Chaweng, however the prices turned out to be high there.

It

On 11/9/2013 at 8:37 AM, Mole said:

In Samui, the Durians ripen 2 times a year. It's around December/January, then it's August/September.

During the season, everybody and their brother-in-laws are selling and you'll see durian selling practically in front of every house and plenty in fruit stalls and markets.

Out of season, you will normally not find anybody selling. There may be the occasional one which for some reason has fallen off the tree. They'll usually put it in front of their house. You won't definitely find any durians in markets.

If you really would like some durians now, I can call a motorbike taxi that I know whose family has a durian grove. If there are any durians, I can tell him to reserve one. But expect to pay a bit more.

Also, there's many varieties of durian, is there a particular one you fancy? The variety which is most grown here is D159 mon thong หมอนทอง. Personally I prefer the D123 ชะนีไข่ chanee khai variety. It has a somewhat stronger smell and more taste than mon thong.

If you did find some durians at this time of the year in chaweng, I recommend you to buy it regardless of price. It's normally impossible to get right now, so any price is a good price.

During season, the usual price is around 30-40 bt/kg.

Hi Marammook! Can you please help me with buying durians? My <Contact details removed, please use the PM function to contact> thank you 

On 11/29/2013 at 6:50 AM, AngThong said:

There's some around already, but a few weeks from now there should be lots; better quality and lower prices.

Two pieces of advice:

1. Go with someone who knows their durian and can pick a good one for you

2. Don't give up if you don't like the first one (or the first few)

I'm personally a huge durian fan and I dislike maybe 7-8 out of 10 durians sold in Thailand. Most of them are of the Mong Thong variety which Thais love and I don't like at all, some will be poor samples of Chanee, Khadum Thong, Gan Yao or other varieties I prefer. My nose is pretty good and I rarely go home with a bad durian these days.

If you feel like popping over to Phangan in Dec/Jan and haven't tried any, I could pick you a good one once the local supply is in :-) Otherwise I'm sure there are durian connoisseurs on Samui. #2 is important because durians are so different - you may end up having ones you don't like to begin with and then discovering the most incredible treat ever on your 3rd or 4th try http://static.thaivisa.com/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png

Hi my friend ! Can you please help me with buying durians? My <Contact details removed, please use the PM function to contact>. thank you 

9 hours ago, Eliah said:

Hi my friend ! Can you please help me with buying durians? My <Contact details removed, please use the PM function to contact> . thank you 

Sorry correct <Contact details removed, please use the PM function to contact>

9 hours ago, Eliah said:

It

Hi Marammook! Can you please help me with buying durians? My <Contact details removed, please use the PM function to contact> . thank you 

Sorry my correct <Contact details removed, please use the PM function to contact>

It is a bad crop this year. Drought. (A friend has a durian farm.)

There is a fresh market at Bangrak - opposite the road to the airport.

Foreigners always pay more there. That is why I never go.

When the crops are ready, there will be pop up stalls all over the island. Again, foreigners pay more.