Pattaya Loy Krathong dates

WinnieTheKhwai

What typically happens for Loy Krathong in Pattaya? In the North it can easily stretch about two or three days, where it's hard to say which exactly was considered the main day.

What about Pattaya? Which days do you expect to have some Loy Krathong related merriment?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I think that the large, TAT-sponsored, Loy Krathong events for tourists are canceled and even the hotels may be playing down their guest celebrations. But there's no stopping people doing their own krathong thing and I reckon the bottom-end of WS and Bali Hai will be gridlocked on Sunday 17th as usual.

I read somewhere that it had been cancelled due to the death of the Supreme Patriarch. Doubt it would affect Pattaya though.

They did discuss canceling it in order to keep inline with the monarchy's edict to extend the mourning period for the Patriarch. However, the current date of November 17 is still going to be kept as they seem to agree keeping Loi Kratong holiday will not interfere with the Monarchy's edict. My sources are the gals that run the hotel I am staying in and one of the local Pattaya newspapers.

Typically the vendors setup shop along beach road and on the sidewalk just like at other occasions. Hot air "kite balloons" are for sale and you can light their little candle and send off an incendiary device that usually floats southward direction. Some land on buildings start fires etc.

• Like 1

Typically the vendors setup shop along beach road and on the sidewalk just like at other occasions. Hot air "kite balloons" are for sale and you can light their little candle and send off an incendiary device that usually floats southward direction. Some land on buildings start fires etc.

It all makes for an exciting, uniquely Thai variation on the typical romantic date scenario, "dinner and a movie.... and arson!"

I think that the large, TAT-sponsored, Loy Krathong events for tourists are canceled and even the hotels may be playing down their guest celebrations. But there's no stopping people doing their own krathong thing and I reckon the bottom-end of WS and Bali Hai will be gridlocked on Sunday 17th as usual.

As all Thai festivals are governed but the moon they cannot delay Loy Krathong its a full moon celebration hey can only try to tone it done

I used to like to go to the small lake at Wat Yansangwararam South East of Pattaya on the way to Golden Buddha Mountain in Hua Yai. It was always an easy going place to be and lots of food etc.

Many also go to Lake Maphrachan.

Both places are easy to get to and have parking unlike down town Pattaya on beach rd etc.

• Like 2

A good place to enjoy the Loy Krathong celebration is at Cabbages & Condoms. Dinner (better make a reservation) and then enjoy releasing your Krathong on the nice beach below. Enough people so that it has a good ambiance but not mass-crowded as the main Pattaya or Jomtien beaches will be. No huge traffic jams going in and out either.

• Like 1

I used to like to go to the small lake at Wat Yansangwararam South East of Pattaya on the way to Golden Buddha Mountain in Hua Yai. It was always an easy going place to be and lots of food etc.

Many also go to Lake Maphrachan.

Both places are easy to get to and have parking unlike down town Pattaya on beach rd etc.

Gone, thanks for your post, have just googled the Wat you mentioned, had never heard of it to be honest and would like to visit sometime.

A couple of questions :

From naklua would it be further than Golden Buddha Mountain, I`m guessing it is but maybe wrong ?

One website shows the Wat as closing at 5.00 PM, do you happen to know it that apples to the lake and grounds as well.

I usually go to Pattaya Beach for Loy Krathong but the crowds and traffic in recent years have made it less enjoyable for me.( or I`m just getting older ! )

Thanks

smile.png

I usually go to Pattaya Beach for Loy Krathong but the crowds and traffic in recent years have made it less enjoyable for me.( or I`m just getting older ! )

Best place to enjoy LK is from a high balcony overlooking the beach. If you or your friend don't have a condo/apt for the purpose, a bar or restaurant would do, say Edge at the Hilton, or top of Markland.

A first-timer might enjoy floating a Kratong--then watching it destroyed by kids looking for a coin; and also possibly getting firecrackers thrown his way for the fun of it. True, the traffic and hassle are horrendous. I doubt many old-timers go down to the beach unless led by the nose by some young thang.

well it came and went. Looks like it was low tide around 10 pm so there was a lot of beach sand to use. Nothing special from what i could see. Crowded narrow passageway on the sidewalk on the gulf side between all the vendors and the edge of the walkway. I walked between the vendors for a a few minutes, watched a few kite launches then left. It still is nice to see the ladies dressed up in either the traditional fashion or evening wear. Adds some style.