Durian in Southern Thailand

Durianwriter

Hi folks,

I'm gathering information about durian in Thailand for those of us obsessed enough to travel just to eat durian. I'm hoping some of you can help me flush out the details of a few places in Southern Thailand.

Here's what I want to know:

1) What are the best markets for buying fruit, esp. durian in your town/province?

2) Do you know of any farms where you can buy direct, take a tour, or stay overnight homestay style?

3) Anything local famous spots?

I haven't managed to visit everywhere in Thailand, although I've been around a little bit. I appreciate any and all tips or advice! Thanks so much for your help :)

Awww thanks :) Unfortunately I'm not in Thailand right now, I'm in Australia and will probably only be able to afford one durian at a time :(

Right now I'm looking for help collecting resources from folks who live/are very familiar with any of the provinces in Southern Thailand. Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance!!

Well, I don't know what to say about that, but I actually quite like Durianrider. He's a good guy, even if I don't always like his internet personality.

But back to the real durian...you know the kind you can eat and still be vegan.. biggrin.png

He and the girl can both come across as a bit rough, but it's a change from the hippies you usually get advocating that lifestyle..

As for durian, I have this strange fascination for them, but just can't bring myself to eat them..

My favorite fruit of all time..Not recommend with beer!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I here many Thais say you can eat it if you have a booze drink, or you will get sick, these freaks also argue with me to the bone that the only way to get sick is from rain drops and not viral or bacteria etc.

Anyone know the science?

Another Thai wise tail?

• Like 1

I here many Thais say you can eat it if you have a booze drink, or you will get sick, these freaks also argue with me to the bone that the only way to get sick is from rain drops and not viral or bacteria etc.

Anyone know the science?

Another Thai wise tail?

They say it's because durian makes your insides hot or warm. Alcohol does the same so two hot/warm reactions inside your body 'is no goot'

When you say the 'south' are you referring to Phuket and south of there? Though not dangerous every day, the south seems a bit taboo to go to right now. We are always hearing about bombings and (not hearing) about beheading, kidnappings, and tortures. The Malay border cities I would steer clear of. I'm sure the muslim nationalists would love to have a westerner to kill and post all over the internet. Durian seems more prominent in the areas to the central of Thailand.

A story I would like to hear about is the 'newest' breed of durian. One that does not smell but still tastes decadent as the stinkiest. I love durian. When I am not eating it and someone else is I get queasy. lol Best of luck in your adventures!

When you say the 'south' are you referring to Phuket and south of there? Though not dangerous every day, the south seems a bit taboo to go to right now. We are always hearing about bombings and (not hearing) about beheading, kidnappings, and tortures. The Malay border cities I would steer clear of. I'm sure the muslim nationalists would love to have a westerner to kill and post all over the internet. Durian seems more prominent in the areas to the central of Thailand.

A story I would like to hear about is the 'newest' breed of durian. One that does not smell but still tastes decadent as the stinkiest. I love durian. When I am not eating it and someone else is I get queasy. lol Best of luck in your adventures!

I have written an article about the Chanthaburi #1 aka "Odorless Durian" here: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2012/04/odorless-durian.html

By the south I mean all the southern provinces that people have experience with: Suratthani, Chumphon, Ranong, Phuket, Narathiwat, Yala, etc. I am aware of the problems with the Muslim Nationals but that is up to each person to make up their mind. Actually, there is often news about people getting murdered in durian orchards in Yala...

Anyone know the science?

Another Thai wise tail?

Not quite. Here's a look at all the science behind the "durian+alcohol=death" thing: http://www.yearofthedurian.com/2013/08/durian-and-alcohol-deadly-mix.html.

They say it's because durian makes your insides hot or warm. Alcohol does the same so two hot/warm reactions inside your body 'is no goot'

+Chao Lao beach. Well I can't say I know anything about the science with the two concoctions,although previously being a long term resident in LOS I did have my doubts as you. So I can verify through a practical Durian/Beer small bender I consumed the two together, resulting in a head that went HOT with a sick stomach.

Not recommend. :))