7-year-old deported to Thailand after losing immigration battle in Denmark

webfact

It would be nice if the first consideration was for the child.

Personally I disagree with the Danish government's standpoint but the Thai authorities would do exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

Two wrongs don't make a right though.

No they wouldn't

So if a Danish man has a child in Denmark with his Thai wife, three years later they move to Thailand and three years after that she dies he and the child would still be allowed to stay in Thailand?

You should edit that. The example should be the danish man has a child with a danish woman in denmark, not a thai woman.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the story failed to tell you that she was also caught trying to sell drugs to other school children.. Is that true?? If so then she and her family have no complaint..

One of the heartbreaking stories from Austria left out that the hole family don't want to work (including some semi-legal tricks), that the brothers got kicked out because of several violent crimes.

And the successful schoolkid failed in most things at school.

I don't know this story, just want to point out that no everything is like it seems.

The danish officials involved have confirmed in the danish press that both mother and child are well integrated, do not collect welfare and have committed no crimes in Denmark whatsoever. In short, they were model citizens.

As someone else already said, if you want to stay in Denmark, turn muslim or rape someone - or both.

than it is a shame!

Same in Austria...if you are from Chechnya and stab already 3 times an Austrian you won't be kicked out.

sorry for that kid but rules are rules , we have the same rules in Thailand when you are foreigners ... even worse , after so many years here working you still need to renew the visa every year ... 

That's true....BUT if you were in the same situation as this YOU could STILL stay here in Thailand using the child as your dependent to acquire the visa. You would NOT be deported after various trials to a country that your child may barely know. 

You would if the child was not Thai. The child in the OP is 100% Thai, and 0% Danish.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the mum and child, and wish they could stay in Denmark, but the Thai rules are even worse - perhaps Thai officials reading this story, if any, should take a long hard look at themselves!

If the child had legally been adopted by the Thai mother then possibly. But not sure... but saying that it would not be an automatic forced deportation. The father and child would have options on visas same as every one else.

Sent from my phone with the app thingy.

Personally I disagree with the Danish government's standpoint but the Thai authorities would do exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

No they wouldn't

So if a Danish man has a child in Denmark with his Thai wife, three years later they move to Thailand and three years after that she dies he and the child would still be allowed to stay in Thailand?

In this instance yes. The child is Thai. And the father could get a visa based on the Thai dependent.

Someone from Denmark know if the story is true and complete

I'm sure plenty will be along to make wild assumptions to fill in any 'gaps'.

I hope there are a few Danish officials who have the terrified look on the face of this poor child drifting into their minds as they try to sleep over the long winter nights to come.

If the case is as represented, it's a real shame. Lots of righteous indignation posted here, and probably justified.

I just wonder how much actual support there will be from Danish speaking residents of Thailand to help her integrate into her new home. Or is righteous indignation the best that's on offer for her?

No, the Denmark I love is above that. It is, was a compassionate place

Yes, Thailand can be a pain...but why does Denmark....of ALL places, have to be so mean-spirited? Denmark? Wow...

sorry for that kid but rules are rules , we have the same rules in Thailand when you are foreigners ... even worse , after so many years here working you still need to renew the visa every year ...

Thailand is worse so maybe if Thailand treat foreigners better then maybe other countries would aswell..

Unfortunately the whole of Europe is going this way,PRBKK. The compassionate Denmark has become a right wing bastion, liberal countries like the Netherlands are going the same way and even Norway, the left leaning, liberal example of humanitarian attitudes, has a right wing government now. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life and we can only hope that things will eventually improve.

Saying Thailand is worse, or insinuating that it's Thailand's fault, is simply stupid and inhuman!

That's true....BUT if you were in the same situation as this YOU could STILL stay here in Thailand using the child as your dependent to acquire the visa. You would NOT be deported after various trials to a country that your child may barely know.

You would if the child was not Thai. The child in the OP is 100% Thai, and 0% Danish.

Don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for the mum and child, and wish they could stay in Denmark, but the Thai rules are even worse - perhaps Thai officials reading this story, if any, should take a long hard look at themselves!

If the child had legally been adopted by the Thai mother then possibly. But not sure... but saying that it would not be an automatic forced deportation. The father and child would have options on visas same as every one else.

Of course they can try to get other visas, but may not fit into any category. I guess the mom and child did not fit any other visa categories either.

The mother in this case fought the case for a year in Denmark after her husbands death. I doubt you would be allowed to stay in Thailand for a year to fight a similar case in Thailand. I am guessing you would be kicked out after 7 days.

• Like 1

No, the Denmark I love is above that. It is, was a compassionate place

Yes, Thailand can be a pain...but why does Denmark....of ALL places, have to be so mean-spirited? Denmark? Wow...

Thailand is worse so maybe if Thailand treat foreigners better then maybe other countries would aswell..

Unfortunately the whole of Europe is going this way,PRBKK. The compassionate Denmark has become a right wing bastion, liberal countries like the Netherlands are going the same way and even Norway, the left leaning, liberal example of humanitarian attitudes, has a right wing government now. Unfortunately, it's a fact of life and we can only hope that things will eventually improve.

Saying Thailand is worse, or insinuating that it's Thailand's fault, is simply stupid and inhuman!

Thailand IS worse in this particular regard, so it is a simple fact. Saying it is Thailands fault of course is rather silly.

Yes, most of europe is going this way. Not due to Thais or other asians, who usually integrate well, but mainly due to problems with muslims from the middle east and africa.

You can't really blame people. Various international humanitarian laws prevent these countries from kicking out foreign criminals. The same laws force the host countries to pay the unwanted foreigners welfare and look at them trying to change the host countries into the very countries they foreigners fled from. This of course frustrates the locals who then turn right wing.

Edited by monkeycountry

Pfff. Ok, according to the law they might be right with their decision, BUT was it morally the right thing to do? I seriously doubt it. The kid grew up in Denmark, it has family there. This is just another example of how pathetic the law sometimes is!!!

Of course they can try to get other visas, but may not fit into any category.

In Thailand I think you would have to be a Martian to not be eligible for a visa. To get a long term visa is not so difficult.

I agree that is not the same as citizenship or legal long term visa's for marriage etc. And Thailand does have a LONG way to go on that front and is draconian in it's outlook.

But your statement that they couldn't stay because of a visa is rubbish.

Was the youngster the Danes offspring ?

Did the child have permanent residency given in Denmark ?

No and no

Oh.

If I follow your argument:

Same same, color people should go back to Africa as they are not European/American offspring.

European/American offspring are WHITE.

I don't tink this is correct. The child is not a Danish citizen, she is a Thai citizen.

So, if a Danish Mother married a Thai man, brought her daughter to Thailand and they all live together, Thai husband (step father) tragically dies,,,, there is no way that the mother and child could stay in Thailand and be supported here, they would be on their way back to Denmark.

• Like 2

I assume the she called him his stepdad but he was not her legal guardian. Surely if that was the case- different ball game. But lets look at the positive- during her 3 year stay there- no 90 day reporting. If her stepdad's family legally adopt her- she would still be able to stay in the country.

Someone from Denmark know if the story is true and complete?

In some other not Thailand related cases in Europe, things were often different than they were in the newspaper. (for example criminal charges were not mentioned).

If it is like it seems here, than it is a shame!

it is, they arrived in thailand yesterday

the story forgets to mention one thing though.

according to law Morten Bødskov could with a back rolling effect make suggestions for law change.

meaning he could do something but are doing in effect nothing.

also they had a full year to do anything but nothing happened.

more than this family have been hit by how the law from 2012 was made

• Like 1

So the story failed to tell you that she was also caught trying to sell drugs to other school children.. Is that true?? If so then she and her family have no complaint..

One of the heartbreaking stories from Austria left out that the hole family don't want to work (including some semi-legal tricks), that the brothers got kicked out because of several violent crimes.

And the successful schoolkid failed in most things at school.

I don't know this story, just want to point out that no everything is like it seems.

The danish officials involved have confirmed in the danish press that both mother and child are well integrated, do not collect welfare and have committed no crimes in Denmark whatsoever. In short, they were model citizens.

As someone else already said, if you want to stay in Denmark, turn muslim or rape someone - or both.

Stupid post, insulting as well. It is impossible for the government of Denmark to write a policy that will never upset anyone,, no one can do that.

The only thing they can do is write a fair policy that ultimately protects the interests of the citizens of Denmark,, that is their job.. There will always be cases that people can debate but Denmark has to have immigration rules the same as anyone else and making exceptions too often will just open the floodgates and make a mockery of the rules in the first place.

Sorry for the child but I understand the point of view from the Danish courts.

• Like 1

I don't tink this is correct. The child is not a Danish citizen, she is a Thai citizen.

So, if a Danish Mother married a Thai man, brought her daughter to Thailand and they all live together, Thai husband (step father) tragically dies,,,, there is no way that the mother and child could stay in Thailand and be supported here, they would be on their way back to Denmark.

Why? The Danish mum probably will have a job .. she is married to a Thai man and they just sit around drinking Lao kow all day.... don't they :)

And if the mum and child could support themselves or the Thai family could support them then there are visa's available.

Personally I disagree with the Danish government's standpoint but the Thai authorities would do exactly the same if the roles were reversed.

No they wouldn't

So if a Danish man has a child in Denmark with his Thai wife, three years later they move to Thailand and three years after that she dies he and the child would still be allowed to stay in Thailand?

In this instance yes. The child is Thai. And the father could get a visa based on the Thai dependent.

Fair enough. Good for Thailand in that case.

Why? The Danish mum probably will have a job .. she is married to a Thai man and they just sit around drinking Lao kow all day.... don't they smile.png

And if the mum and child could support themselves or the Thai family could support them then there are visa's available.

My chum was refused. sad.png