Fearing protests escalation, Bangkok residents stockpile food

webfact

Fearing Protests Escalation, Bangkokians Stockpile Food
By Khaosod Online

stock.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Many Bangkok residents are stockpiling food and other essential goods out of fear that the anti-government protests could spiral into unrest, said a researcher at the Thai Chamber of Commerce University (UTCC).

Mr. Wachira Koontaweethep, Director of The Centre of Economic and Business Forecasting (CEBF) based in the University, told our correspondent that large number of food products are being bought from various supermarkets in the capital city by Bangkokians who feared the possibility that the government would impose the martial laws to contain the protests.

Many Bangkokians are fearing a return to 2010 unrest, which saw the government at the time declaring curfews and sending the military to disperse the protesters, he said.

According to Mr. Wachira, "The survey conducted by the CEBF revealed that the consumption and purchasing demands had increased 22.5% in Bangkok and other big cities after protests against the blanket amnesty bill were organised in various venues".

Although the consumers continue to stockpile instant food and vegetable oil to prepare for the worst if the crisis escalated, the CEBF Director believes that the situation would not lead to food shortage.

Meanwhile, Commerce Minister, Mr. Yanyong Phuangrat, dismissed the reports of consumers buying food products in panic, insisting that it was just a "false rumour".

Nevertheless, the minister said he had instructed the Department of Internal Trade to assure that manufacturing and retailing segments are running smoothly and that no traders try to hoard or overprice the goods.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE5ESTJNVEUxTXc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-13

Meanwhile, Commerce Minister, Mr. Yanyong Phuangrat, dismissed the reports of consumers buying food products in panic, insisting that it was just a "false rumour"

Did he forget to mention- and anyone who clicks the "like" button on Wachira's opinion goes to jail on the ground of national security ?

• Like 1

"According to Mr. Wachira, "The survey conducted by the CEBF revealed that the consumption and purchasing demands had increased 22.5% in Bangkok and other big cities after protests against the blanket amnesty bill were organised in various venues".

Meanwhile, Commerce Minister, Mr. Yanyong Phuangrat, dismissed the reports of consumers buying food products in panic, insisting that it was just a "false rumour"."

Why does the Minister have to come out and say it's just a rumour when there is clearly evidence suggesting otherwise? Is he a liar, ill informed, or stupid? Your guess is as good as mine.

Thailand version of insider trading and market manipulation?

Meanwhile, Commerce Minister, Mr. Yanyong Phuangrat, dismissed the reports of consumers buying food products in panic, insisting that it was just a "false rumour".

Nevertheless, the minister said he had instructed the Department of Internal Trade to assure that manufacturing and retailing segments are running smoothly and that no traders try to hoard or overprice the goods.

Is this called hedging your bets? One statement following the party line, and the next is 'just in case'. It makes me smile when Yingluck tells everyone to go home and let the Government get on with its work. The Government do not know how to get on with its work.

I wondered why Makro and 7/11 had put their orders into our company earlier than normal.

Who said businesses will suffer because of the protests?

Not if you are in the food manufacturing business wink.png

What you going to do when all your staff are out on strike? Who's going to fill the orders?

So if the government calls for martial law and someone gets killed, Yingluck and the deputy PM get charged with murder?

If this article was about stockpiling, there was very little evidence that this was actually happening. Is it possible that the

22.5% increase in food being bought was to feed the protestors? Just wondering....

What a load of utter crap. How many god dam_n times have we seen from the Nation recently 'There might be violence, there might be violence, there might be violence !!!' Do you get the feeling they want it to turn violent ? Or that they are on the side of the PT crooks and are trying to stir the pot ? TRY ACTUALLY DOING THE JOB OF A NEWSPAPER AND REPORTING THE FACTS PLEASE ! instead of constantly repeating the same nonsense that just wastes everyone's time and serves no useful purpose....

Ummm... just a heads up... It's Khaosod not the Nation that published this article...

• Like 1

The Democrats are unfit to rule the country. They may have helped kill the amnesty bill, but that is something the red shirts wanted too, but in the process they have now a totally different issue to address namely the fact that Abhisit and Suthep will probably go to jail for a very very long time now they are themselves no longer covered under the amnesty. So the Democrat party need to get the protests escalated in such a way that they can convince the army that they are the only party that never can win an election but is still suitable to carry out the wishes of anti democracy rapist like coup takers.

New elections will not win them enough votes to govern, so they need to see violence erupt in Bangkok's streets again. If not they will see their leaders being locked up for establishing a life firing zone in the middle of Bangkok and giving shoot to kill orders and the yellow shirt leaders will finally end up in jail for endangering the lives of air travellers by not only closing the airports but taking over the control towers.

The Democrats and their cronies are in a terrible situation it is damned if they do and damned if they don't.

"Abhisit and Suthep will probably go to jail for a very very long time now they are themselves no longer covered under the amnesty"

Suthep may have resigned as MP,but Abhisit is not that stupid.

Besides, Abhisit also have the option to escape to UK if the shit hits the fan, not Suthep.

I wondered why Makro and 7/11 had put their orders into our company earlier than normal.

Who said businesses will suffer because of the protests?

Not if you are in the food manufacturing business wink.png

What you going to do when all your staff are out on strike? Who's going to fill the orders?

They are not on strike.

They are all family and friends, they have a vested interest in our success.

Besides that, we always keep a month of buffer stock in finished goods.

Edited by Thainy Tim

"According to Mr. Wachira, "The survey conducted by the CEBF revealed that the consumption and purchasing demands had increased 22.5% in Bangkok and other big cities after protests against the blanket amnesty bill were organised in various venues".

Meanwhile, Commerce Minister, Mr. Yanyong Phuangrat, dismissed the reports of consumers buying food products in panic, insisting that it was just a "false rumour"."

Why does the Minister have to come out and say it's just a rumour when there is clearly evidence suggesting otherwise? Is he a liar, ill informed, or stupid? Your guess is as good as mine.

He's Thai, what else do you expect ?

This story was from the 27th of October. Whether it bears any resemblance to buying behaviors now is anyone's guess. The news channels have become rather slender suddenly. I am getting more information from outside sources than internal ones now. Very few reports.

I am hoping the agencies are trying to add to the dilemna. Of course, I used to believe in Santa Claus, so I may be duped easily. I'm not sure of that either. No one has told me what to think yet.

Edited by FangFerang

I'm quite disgusted right now. red yellow and others hurth there own country all the time when they protest for the" better". It's a silly game called: stand up and sit down.

The ignorance and serious immigration laws for people (non gangsters) who only bring money in the country while everything is a show.

Just like this show. A few years ago I was eating free papaya salad from red shirts on Si Lom. I walked by everyday to hit the open air gym in Lumpini Park. They smiled and build there fort of bamboo and rubber tires. When some kind of grenade was reported as a explosion I had to walk 1 or 2 MRT stops.

I asked my Thai friend on FB (picture comment): what are you protesting about?

Answer: We protest against the rebels!

My respond: you can't protest against rebels. There for they are rebel. You can only protest against the government or the way things are going.

Polite, show and around the bush. When there is no way around the bush, the bush needs a "haircut".

Although both sides on any happening are convinced they are doing something good just like spill to much water on Sonkran it looks like a tradition by now.

How much longer for they will see that they are not in the game? Banks are pushing loans down your throat with a promotion show at the mall outside there branche like it's the miss Thailand contest that any ugly duck can win.

Less money will be spend in low and middle circulation just like in the West. Money that would be well spend ands up for debt rates and many times not even get payed off at all. People save money on food and get sick, what they payed off goes to clinics, pharma, doctors and hospital

This story was from the 27th of October. Whether it bears any resemblance to buying behaviors now is anyone's guess. The news channels have become rather slender suddenly. I am getting more information from outside sources than internal ones now. Very few reports.

I am hoping the agencies are trying to add to the dilemna. Of course, I used to believe in Santa Claus, so I may be duped easily. I'm not sure of that either. No one has told me what to think yet.

And if you're taking a NotTheNation article as gospel truth, you might as well continue to believe in Santa Claus ;)

• Like 1

We have a winner! biggrin.png

I did my regular weekly shop at Central Food Hall in Ploenchit this morning. Traffic getting to and from was light. The shop was very quiet, the shelves are well-stocked. This rumour-mongering about "stockpiling" does not seem to bear truth, even if my experience is a very limited one. I think it would be helpful if people can report their experiences, (vis-à-vis anything that may be as a consequence of the protests). The media are certainly not doing it effectively, so it would be helpful for individuals to tell of their own experiences. I'm not saying things may change, as the situation develops, but let's keep it real, and do a service to those of us who live in Bangkok, and simply wish to go about our daily lives in the normal way.