International drivers license

Dirk_brijs

My understanding is you need the 5 year Thai licence to be able to get a Thai IDP. There have been some threads/questions on TV before.

Can you not get one from your home country by post - presuming you have a home country licence?

My understanding is you need the 5 year Thai licence to be able to get a Thai IDP. There have been some threads/questions on TV before.

Can you not get one from your home country by post - presuming you have a home country licence?

thats the problem no drivers license from the home country

The one year DL is a temporary DL.

You need to have the full five year one to get an IDP (International Driving Permit)

is there a way to go for this 5 year drivers license before the one year gets expired?

No, you need to have had the one year for one year first.

You need to have the full five year one to get an IDP (International Driving Permit)

is there a way to go for this 5 year drivers license before the one year gets expired?

Everything answered here. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/27462-applying-for-1-5-year-thai-driving-licences/

You can apply for the 5 year license 60 days before the 1 year license expire.

Quite a few years ago you had to wait until the 1 year license had expired, however this has since changed.

Quite a few years ago you had to wait until the 1 year license had expired, however this has since changed.

A 5-year DL is not something you just "apply" for. When your 1-year-DL is about to expire and you go in to have it renewed, you will then be ready for the 5 year DL. They might want you to do all the tests etc or they might not.

A 5-year DL is not something you just "apply" for. When your 1-year-DL is about to expire and you go in to have it renewed, you will then be ready for the 5 year DL. They might want you to do all the tests etc or they might not.

Are you kidding me? Did I say so??? Read the tread before you jump in. It's clear from the OP that he has his one year license already.

Or are you just trying to twist words?

MTH, I'm not sure how well you understand English but your post said you can "apply" 60 days before your 1 year expires.

What do you mean by "apply" ? Do you mean you can "get" a 5 years 60 days before your 1 year expires?

I just don't know why anyone would not wait the extra 60 days?

MTH, I'm not sure how well you understand English but your post said you can "apply" 60 days before your 1 year expires.

What do you mean by "apply" ? Do you mean you can "get" a 5 years 60 days before your 1 year expires?

The term "apply" is exactly correct. "Get" implies you will get something merely by showing up. "Apply" implies regulations and standards to be met. For example, foreigners have recently been refused when applying for extensions based on marriage or retirement. Not everyone "gets" an extension (or licence). No guarantees.

There are numerous reasons for applying for a new driver's licence in the last 60 days of your 1-year. A person might leave the country 45 days before the expiration and not return till after expiration. Therefore you might want to get the replacement before. And you don't lose any of the days leading up to expiry. Licences expire on the birthday.

Wow Gone, I will not dignify that with an answer.

Isn't it blatantly obvious we're talking about transitioning from a one year license to a five year license.

According to current regulations, you can apply for the five year license 60 days early and up to one year late if holding a one year license.

If the license in question is expired by more than one year, you have to retake the written test, if expired by more than three years, you will also have to retake the driving test.

For instance, convenience or maybe a long term visa about to expire.

On the other hand, could you give me one reason why you should wait the extra 60 days?

(There is an obvious answer, just checking to see if you know it, and a hint is to look at Kaoboi Bebobp' post)