Applying For 1 & 5 Year Thai Driving Licences

astral

Obtaining a 1 Year Licence

What you need is:

A recent report (April 2009) says that documents required for first application are:

Original passport + 2 copies of visa page and main page;

Medical report (any doctor can supply)

Address confirmation from immigration + 1 copy;

Current International Driving Permit

First registration, after that reaction test, colour test, another colour test, after that payment and making pictures.

For renewal

1. Expired drivers licenses.

2) A colour test & reaction test on computer is now required for renewal.

It is best if you already have an International Driving Permit,

otherwise you will have to take a written test and a driving test,

in you own vehicle.

After the first year you will be entitled to a licence for 5 years.

Once you have a Thai licence you can also use it to obtain an International Driving Permit.

It seem that these can only be issued it the Morchit Office, in Bangkok,

not at local offices, which is a shame.

Updated 5th May 2009

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obtaining a 5 Year Licence

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

2. Photocopies of the following pages of your passport:

- the page with your photograph and name

- the non-immigrant visa

- the departure card ("TM... card" - stapled in your passport)

- the last arrival stamp ("Admitted Until" stamp)

- the last "Application Of Stay" extension stamp.

All pages must be signed by you.

3. 2 Photographs for each licence: 1 inch square (2.5 cm square) excluding the white border, which will be cut off.

It must show your complete face, neck and top of shoulders.

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

The photocopy must be signed by you.

5. 505 baht for car licence / 255 baht for motorbike - valid 5 years minimum, up to your next birthday after 5 full years.

Note: no medical certificate is required.

The above was the case at Phuket Provincial Land Transport Office, 25/7/2005, http://www.phuketdir.com/pkttransport . (There is an error on this page: it says the photo must be 2.5 inches. It should be 2.5 cm).

• 4 weeks later...

in you own vehicle.

Would a UK driving licence be sufficiant, have read so many different ways of obtaining a d.l i am somewhat confused now! If not and I have to take a test what do i do if i have no car? hire one or something?

Cheers in advance

in you own vehicle.

Would a UK driving licence be sufficiant, have read so many different ways of obtaining a d.l i am somewhat confused now! If not and I have to take a test what do i do if i have no car? hire one or something?

Cheers in advance

You would need the International Driving Permit if you did not want to take the tests.

See here for information about obtaining one in the UK International Driving Permit

totster :o

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers in advance

I got a one year licence with my photocard part of my u.k licence. I went to the office near Jatujak and they asked if I had International drivers permit, I said no but showed them my u.k photocard licence. The women dealing with me showed it to her superior who said that was o.k and I just had to have it photocopied both sides and got the licence with the only test required the colour blindness and reaction test, was in and out in 30 mins

You were very very lucky :o

yep possibly but it's worth a shot if you don't want to take the driving test's

should have made it a little clearer, I did also have the other necisarry stuff, a Non-Im visa and a letter from British Embassey stating residence, they accepted the photocard licence instead of a IDP and didn't need to get it translated!

You were very very lucky :D

Then so was I! :D

It was over a year ago in Pattaya, but I was issued with licences for both car and motorcycle on the strength of my UK licence with no requirement for a test.

My licence does include a full motorcycle licence though.

Perhaps that made a difference as other Brits I know not having passed the UK test had to take the motorcycle test but not the car one.

I actually did a four part series of articles on my experience. They were published in the Pattaya Trader last year.

Not sure if anyone would want to read them, but if so just shout and I will post them. :o

• 3 weeks later...
You were very very lucky :o

yep possibly but it's worth a shot if you don't want to take the driving test's

should have made it a little clearer, I did also have the other necisarry stuff, a Non-Im visa and a letter from British Embassey stating residence, they accepted the photocard licence instead of a IDP and didn't need to get it translated!

what if your licence has expired? I have an Australian drivers licence which expired 5 months ago. Been making enquiries about getting it renewed from here but chances look pretty grim and I don't fancy spending 30,000baht going back to Aust. just to renew licence. I may have to unless there are alternatives, like Koa San Road licences. Are they any good or are they not worth the risk?

• 3 weeks later...

Documents needed:

1. Your old, expired Thai driving licence. (On the date you apply, your licence must have already expired.)

Does anyone know if there is a time limit from the expiry date of the 1 year license and still being able to use it to apply for the 5 year?

Do you for instance have to apply within say 5 working days of its expiration?

Cheers

Rags

I guess I was lucky as well. I just have a Canadian drivers licence, I did have to take a color blind test though, it took about 10 seconds. After a year I went to get the 5 year licence but they wouldnt give it to me until I went to get another Non-imigrant visa.

Documents needed:

4. A photocopy of and the original document, which is a letter or form (bottom of TM47 form) from Immigration confirming your address in Thailand. They will keep the photocopy and give you back the original document.

TIT - went to get my 5 year license (BKK Centre #3) with all the documents mentioned, and found that the woman at the desk would not accept a Thai Immigration letter confirming my address. Instead she insisted upon a letter from the British Embassy!

Went to get the letter from the Embassy, and discovered that the one time that the Thai system doesn't try to screw a farang for extra money, you find that you are shafted by your own Government....

5 Year Thai License = 500 Baht (very reasonable)

British Embassy Letter = 1,700 Baht....:o

Rags

I have moved from Bangkok to Changwat Khampaeng Phet and my 5 year license was issued from Sukhumvit Road in Bangkok.

How do I get my address changed to upcountry?

Also how would I get the car registered up here as well because it has to be checked in BKK every year for the tax etc.?

• 4 weeks later...

I think I have everything to get myself a 1 year licence except proof of house rental. The landlord is from Germany and at the moment is in Germany with his thai wife for 8 months (house in her name). I have got two monthly receipts for rental in english but no rent book, I pay the next door neighbour at the moment. We are in Hua-hin (Thai gf & me). Any ideas before I go to apply and explain the situation.

Not sure if I can say we are living with her brother in Bangkok who owns his place so can get some documentation but prefer not to go down the bullshit road.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
Does one need to do the written again after 1 year to obtain the 5 year license?

Thanks Potter

No, just bring your expiored licence, Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two 1 inch photos, do it on the premises, they know the right size.

Last time I did on Sukhumvit in BKK (No. 3-office) it took 1 hour.

Thanks Axel. If it is only paperwork - why dont they give us a longer driving license in the first place?

Does one need to do the written again after 1 year to obtain the 5 year license?

Thanks Potter

No, just bring your expiored licence, Passport (and 1 signed copy of photo page)

Visa page and non immigrant visa page (and 1 signed copy of each)

Two 1 inch photos, do it on the premises, they know the right size.

Last time I did on Sukhumvit in BKK (No. 3-office) it took 1 hour.

One little quirk here.

You need to let the first one year licence expire by one day before you can get the 5 year.

The rules say you must have had a one year licence for more than one

year to qualify, and this is the Thai way of dealing with the rule.

Hi,

I currently have a 1 year Thai driving license expired by a few months, i am now in Thailand on a 2 month tourist visa. I am still living at my original address as certified by the British embassy (original document) which was issued when i got my original license.

As i no longer have a Non B visa do you think it will still be possible to get a 5 year license? The original license was issued at the dept. of land transport near Jatujak.

Thanks,

8ball.

Has anyone been able to get a Thai Drivers License using their valid home country license (USA here) without having to take the written and driving tests?

I know with an International License you don't need to take the tests, but the catch 22 is I can't get an International License here in Bangkok without a Thai license!

I have also heard that a Work Permit along with copy of lease will suffice in place of the proof of residency letter from US Embassy.

Would appreciate any help on this.

I heard there is a new law. In the future everybody (thai and farrang) are only allowed to get issued 1 year driving license.

Furthermore the renewal has to be done before the driving license expires. Or the whole test has to be taken again.

This is suposed to be a new law. I am confused....

One little quirk here.

You need to let the first one year licence expire by one day before you can get the 5 year.

The rules say you must have had a one year licence for more than one

year to qualify, and this is the Thai way of dealing with the rule.

Cheers in advance

I got a one year licence with my photocard part of my u.k licence. I went to the office near Jatujak and they asked if I had International drivers permit, I said no but showed them my u.k photocard licence. The women dealing with me showed it to her superior who said that was o.k and I just had to have it photocopied both sides and got the licence with the only test required the colour blindness and reaction test, was in and out in 30 mins

Same thing with me also, just showed them the UK License and just did the colour blindness and reaction test!

I have one serious question though... Upon applying for the 5 year license is the rental aggrement applicable? What if you've changed address??? Some say its not even asked for....?

jflundy's question in post #14, from Hua Hin, doesn't seem to be answered yet.

Since Hua Hin's got a full service, full time Police Immigration office now, I suggest you try to get your residence certification there. Bring what you have, including your Thai g/f, and see if they'll give it to you.

Now for my question: I'm blind in one eye. Can I pass those tests for peripheral vision and depth perception? That's the only thing keeping me from applying for the licenses (car and m/cycle).

I went to renew my driver's license last week, this time I wanted a 5 year license.

I went on the day it expired, I figured if I couldn't get a 5 year license that day I would go back the next day.

It was a sinch, I got it on that day, I didn't have to wait till my permit expired.

I am now the proud owner of a 5 year driver's permit. :o

Archived