Thai Police want safe, sober Loy Krathong

webfact

Hmm , hang on a minute! just a few weeks ago the whole thing was going to be cancelled because of the monk and the mourning, that seems to have faded now its well some people wear black, News readers etc but back to normal for everyone else ( yes I know a generalization but I don't think I am too far off)

"Transport Minister Chadchart Sittipunt wants to keep the number of accidents involving public transport vehicles at zero, with no injuries or deaths, during this year's festival."

He must know this just not possible. There's always accidents. Why set such ridiculously unattainable targets? Why set targets as all? A proper campaign of safety weeks before the event would be more effective than threats of gaol and fines 48 hours before it begins. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Very accurate post. i suppose the minister will be sitting back basking in his own glory, he's done his job by making a statement and getting headlines notwithstanding his talking crap.

As for the BIB just how much do they contribute to the danger on the roads by giving a drunk driver an on the spot ' fine ' then allowing him / her to drive on just as drunk as they were minutes earlier ?

It's a disgrace actually. Not many years ago, Loy Kratong used to be a peaceful, low-key celebration in most of the country. Now, it's the "Loy Kratong Festival", a rather noisy celebration of something most people have forgotten about. The Thai festivals look increasingly similar, drunk-while-throwing-water-festival or drunk-while-sending-a-candle-down-the-river-festival. Same same but different.

• Like 2

so their is this shop over by fire station.

you can buy these colored film containers thier is a hole on the top.

flash powder too for sale

fuses too.

so you fill the container(well not filled) and then put fuse in and then compress with newspaper, put the fuse though the top. man what a bomb you could make.

did this last year and throw far. but something like this should only be done in very rural areas, never in the city. i will make some more this year but only use far from people,homes,or towns.

the point i make is that these containers are made and sold for this purpose. Amazing Thailand.

so many things are illegal but also avaiable.

But really with fireworks please be safe and not stupid,they can be very dangerous.

It's a disgrace actually. Not many years ago, Loy Kratong used to be a peaceful, low-key celebration in most of the country. Now, it's the "Loy Kratong Festival", a rather noisy celebration of something most people have forgotten about. The Thai festivals look increasingly similar, drunk-while-throwing-water-festival or drunk-while-sending-a-candle-down-the-river-festival. Same same but different.

Well said - the very words 'festival','ceremony','celebration' etc now cause panic in my addled brain - you nailed the whole direction they've gone in. Where can i hide...

Is it because it is the cheapest??? 5 bht -banana-1 orchid-small candle ??? don't forget to put in a few bht. Hiring a pick up to take it all ??cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

no matter how many dollar bills you wrap around a piece of shit, it is still a piece of shit. but obvious you join the many in not being able to smell and as long as it gives you a laugh go for it.

note how my post become invisible quickly. this is also a good way to determine that they contain none of the required shitcheesy.gifgiggle.gif

How nice a person you sound-with a super sense of humour. your foul mouth out of which comes the word you know so well.

Have a nice holiday-smiler.

If you had a smear of humour you could have replied with something the same. ( did you know I have done the same as you many times) it's good to be keenyow now and then.

ok you've convinced me. i am not going to add the orchid and candle, so it will be just the banana stem base. ok off to eat my khao mun gai and toss the kratong. have a good one.

• Like 1

this at 5 baht will be more expensive the kratong i floated in the mekong in cambodia one year, it was just the remaining husk of the already drunk coconut so essentially worth nothing. someone then pissed on it when it went a little down the river as i was still watching.coffee1.gif cambodians dont celebrate loy gratong but the do have a waterfestival around the same time.

Edited by Slur Pee

this at 5 baht will be more expensive the kratong i floated in the mekong in cambodia one year, it was just the remaining husk of the already drunk coconut so essentially worth nothing. someone then pissed on it when it went a little down the river as i was still watching.coffee1.gif cambodians dont celebrate loy gratong but the do have a waterfestival around the same time.

One time in the north, my very small Kratong with the candle alight was nicely floating out but it bumped into a business ladys 500 bht Kratong, my candle fell on her Kratung and set it ablaze -she was screaming at me I spoilt her festival, (accident) but it made mine super.

One time in the north, my very small Kratong with the candle alight was nicely floating out but it bumped into a business ladys 500 bht Kratong, my candle fell on her Kratung and set it ablaze -she was screaming at me I spoilt her festival, (accident) but it made mine super.

lol

i'm back already.

the realities of thai public become so much more enhanced went its celebration time.

anyhow wasnt early enough to avoid the already gathering drunks and the murderous gun carrying gangs (aka thai young males) not to mention the ever present aggressive dogs and biting ants and slippery mud.

so the banana kratong is still in my backpack. perhaps later will sneak out when things die down and toss it in with all the rubbish in the small dirty polluted stream near by. life is tough in LOS.smile.png

lol

i'm back already.

the realities of thai public become so much more enhanced went its celebration time.

anyhow wasnt early enough to avoid the already gathering drunks and the murderous gun carrying gangs (aka thai young males) not to mention the ever present aggressive dogs and biting ants and slippery mud.

so the banana kratong is still in my backpack. perhaps later will sneak out when things die down and toss it in with all the rubbish in the small dirty polluted stream near by. life is tough in LOS.smile.png

Ha Ha, save your Kratong for the bathroom and float it in the bath, at least there won't be all that trash around. Save getting bitten and carved up.thumbsup.gif

suppose i should be grateful i didn't encounter any spitting cobras on the riverbank. wouldn't be the first time.

Have them here in Udon province, scorpians, Krait, Keelback, cobra, luckily the locals eat them when found near the homes.

Although these can be dangerous they all play a part in keeping down the rats that the locals encourage. Sadly most of the wildlife seems to be disappearing in the area, either catapulted, shot.

Although much of the rubbish left after Loy Kratung encourages rats, that do attract venomous creatures.

I'm evidently in a different country.

We've just got back from the wat and floating our kratongs, nice to see that every one of the ready made kratongs on sale were of bio-degradable construction. Floated our boat, set off a lantern (less bio-degradable), ate food, had a nice time. Rather too much beer, but since we're within staggering distance no problem (drunk in-charge of a banana leaf kratong?)..

No violence, no guns, nothing untoward!

I'm evidently in a different country.

We've just got back from the wat and floating our kratongs, nice to see that every one of the ready made kratongs on sale were of bio-degradable construction. Floated our boat, set off a lantern (less bio-degradable), ate food, had a nice time. Rather too much beer, but since we're within staggering distance no problem (drunk in-charge of a banana leaf kratong?)..

No violence, no guns, nothing untoward!

Good you enjoyed, but being worse for wear you could feel you were in any country, sober Loy Krathong ??? pity you could have enjoyed it with a little less beer. but each to his own. Were you in control-"staggering" sometimes this is why we/us get attacked.thumbsup.gif