Thai women willing to keep family violence to themselves

webfact

Thai women willing to keep family violence to themselves

women-violence-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Women and Men Progressive Movement Foundation (WMPMF) revealed a shocking truth yesterday that Thai women are willing to cover up their family violence and prefer to keep problems to themselves. It says such practice risk them to commit even fiercer retaliation.

WMPMF director Jadej Chaowilai revealed the shocking truth ahead of the commemoration of the United Nations International’s Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women which falls on November 25.

He said that 30% of Thai women chose to tolerate family or domestic violence and sex abuses with reasons of shame and embarrassment to themselves, their children, and fears of repeated physical assaults, and no knowledge of which channels they could resort to for assistance.

He said self tolerance to family members, particularly their partners with reason of just privacy will consequently lead to stress and may even risk of forcing them to unintentional fierce retaliation to their partners.

He cited example of the family of a former national sharpshooter who was killed by his mother-in-law as a precedent of such family violence that the society should learn as a lesson and prevent it from happening.

He called on women to protect their rights, and stand up to end violence and prevent it from widening and exploding.

According to the United Nations’ survey of family violent cases in the world in 2012, Thailand comes second as the country with the highest rates of family violence with women accepting the use of violence.

At the same time, he said, the Ministry of Social Development and Human Security should come up with more effective mechanism to assist and create more channels accessible for these women to resort to. Besides, the ministry should also have strategy to implant better attitude among women and encourage them to stand up and end the family violence.

For this year, he said the theme for the Foundation to commemorate the day is “ Stand Up to Protect Yourselves, Join Hands to End Family Violence.”

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-women-willing-keep-family-violence/

-- Thai PBS 2013-11-15

• Like 1

More truths exposed! Not a land of smiles!

What's interesting to me about this story is that I've witnessed far more physical abuse by Thai women on men than the reverse, and while there may be no reason to doubt that stats that are presented in this story, I'd like to see a pole of abuse from the point of view of the men.

• Like 2

What's interesting to me about this story is that I've witnessed far more physical abuse by Thai women on men than the reverse, and while there may be no reason to doubt that stats that are presented in this story, I'd like to see a pole of abuse from the point of view of the men.

Saw a lady at work today who looks like she went a couple rounds with mike Tyson in his prime. All she could do is look down while walking and fiddle with her hair with her hands covering her face trying to hide two black eyes and lumps, bumps and bruises all over. She took a real beating, but showed up for work.

Fortunately Thailand currently has its first female PM who is no doubt working overtime to combat domestic violence. Another problem that will soon be completely solved and added to her lengthy list of achievements. Two weeks?...a month?

Edited by marell

Saw a lady at work today who looks like she went a couple rounds with mike Tyson in his prime. All she could do is look down while walking and fiddle with her hair with her hands covering her face trying to hide two black eyes and lumps, bumps and bruises all over. She took a real beating, but showed up for work.

Was this in Thailand or somewhere else? It's not clear, but just goes to show that this happens in all countries.

And as for the pole of abuse - a lot of men have one of those and often it contains their brain.

Calm down, dears. We could easily supplant the title for 'Women the world over willing to keep family violence to themselves', and they do.

Yep...this is without a doubt one of the dumbest "it happens everywhere, not only in Thailand"- comments ever...

Calm down, dears. We could easily supplant the title for 'Women the world over willing to keep family violence to themselves', and they do.

Yep...this is without a doubt one of the dumbest "it happens everywhere, not only in Thailand"- comments ever...

Why dumb?

It's now exactly two hours since your description of dumb, DocN, and I note that you are still online. Please afford me the courtesy of a response as to why my statement is dumb.

You've added no value to your assertion other than a blank dumb.

Why oh why is this always about women getting rights?

Shouldn't all people have the right to be protected from violence.

Why is there no figures on how many men have to suffer and tolerate domestic violence?

Does this sort of law and discussion always need to be essentially sexist and misandric in nature?

Edited by FiftyTwo

I agree with Wooloomoolo. Physical violence is prevalent and hushed up in many countries where women have lower social status than men (which means a lot of countries). Yes - of course in some countries like Thialand (and Latin countries) there is an element of emotional/verbal revenge by women, fuelled perhaps by the element of status that maternalism brings in some societies.

Men always cover that up as wellsmile.png

He called on women to protect their rights, and stand up to end violence and prevent it from widening and exploding.blink.png

Don't you need someone on the other side, to help to protect your rights...let;s say ...police...lawmakers...SOCIETY IN GENERAL???

Or in other words: someone to give a flying frog about this subject!

Exactly. And interesting that there was no mention of the men here. It's as if these women are being beaten by invisible ghosts or something. There needs to be a message to men that being physically violent to their partner is not acceptable. So as well as highlighting the issue and empathising with women who this is happening to, we also need to shine a light on the perpetrators.

• Like 1

There needs to be a message to men that being physically violent to their partner is not acceptable.

You've missed the point of thread title and have gone off on a tangent.

Let's go back to the OP and 'Thai women willing to keep family violence to themselves'.

Until such time as the ladies are willing to press charges and not back down at a later date then nothing will change and this is endemic the world over.

DocN, I still await a suitable and succinct response to your assertion that my post was dumb. I also note that you were reading this thread as little as half an hour ago.

It's important, as it's only fair that you share your knowledge of how you intend to improve the lives of battered women in LOS. You intimate that you have the answer but not willing to impart such important information, which appears selfish in the extreme.

Edited by wooloomooloo

Yes, totally correct. Most people think it is far worse for a man to lightly slap a women on her chin, than a a female to rob a guy of several thousands, or even millions of baht, or even kill a guy.

Sometimes, even if a women dismember a guy, for example cutting of his dick, it is viewed as kinda of funny (yes, many people think this is funny), meanwhile if you slap a female, it is the worst thing you could ever do.

Meanwhile there are many females who would never admit that their husband would hit them physically, and hurt them, GUYS, admitting to be abused by their female partner, are 100000000000% less.

Get real..., or at least, start to think for yourself...

• Like 1

It's now exactly two hours since your description of dumb, DocN, and I note that you are still online. Please afford me the courtesy of a response as to why my statement is dumb.

You've added no value to your assertion other than a blank dumb.

Because EVERYTHING we discuss here, could be said about "everywhere else"!

But that is not the dam point of discussing THAILAND RELATED matters on a THAILAND RELATED forum!

I don't understand and will never understand, why someone always pops up with this sh1tty little point "yeah..but women/drivers/policemen/corrupt politicians everywhere do so and so..." Yes...we could!

Or we could NOT and discuss the matter in question: THAI women and THAI men and domestic violence IN THAILAND!

Thank you very much!

What about the domestic abuse on foreigners by Thai wives/GF's. Me and two of my mates have been victim's of this several times and yes I've filed reports with the BIB for what it's worth - Jack S**t basically.

Had it from an English wife, had it from a Thai gf.

Domestic violence against men is rife and totally ignored because we 'aren't worth it'.

• Like 1

What about the domestic abuse on foreigners by Thai wives/GF's. Me and two of my mates have been victim's of this several times and yes I've filed reports with the BIB for what it's worth - Jack S**t basically.

Had it from an English wife, had it from a Thai gf.

Domestic violence against men is rife and totally ignored because we 'aren't worth it'.

Totally correct

you men you suffer from domestic violence grow, a chin, Man on man violence is far worse. hitting your wife/gf would be the time to call it quits or you will continue living without love with a person who may snap one day and solve their immediant problem, which wouln.t be too bad if your are a coward women beater. I,ve seen the dvd so please no arguement about how thai women fight.

Its not much of a man in my book who would raise their hand to a woman its defiantly not the way I was brought up, parents need to teach young boys/girls from an early age about basic respect to woman and elders, and to share their toys and sweets with friends.

Its not much of a man in my book who would raise their hand to a woman its defiantly not the way I was brought up, parents need to teach young boys/girls from an early age about basic respect to woman and elders, and to share their toys and sweets with friends.