Pedal Power To Save Police Money

george

Pedal power to save police money

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan police will carry out more patrols on foot and bicycles to keep fuel bills down, Bangkok Police Chief Lt-General Wiroj Chantha-rangsri said yesterday.

Wiroj said the city's police would continue to protect people's lives and property in Bangkok but, facing oil price hikes, would have to adjust and be more energy efficient.

A bigger fuel budget will be requested from the government, and in the meantime officers will make as many patrols as they can on foot, or on bikes, he said.

Wiroj dismissed allegations police used fuel paid for by the government when they were off-duty.

Royal Thai Police spokesman Ajirawid Subarnbhesaj said the police would adjust their work system to take into account higher fuel prices.

He said email warrants would be issued in emergency cases, because in some areas courthouses, where warrants are issued, are up to 100km away from the stations where the investigating officers are based.

Civilian volunteers would also be used more often, said Ajirawid.

"We used to be able to buy 600 litres [of fuel] a month, but now we only get 300 litres per month ... We'll try to adjust our operations and encourage more people participation," he said.

In Khon Kaen, traffic police have launched the "officers patrolling on bicycles" project, using 37 bicycles provided by the provincial administration.

There have been "satisfactory" results so far, said Muang Khon Kaen deputy superintendent Lt-Colonel Khanit Duanghassadee.

--The Nation 2006-05-05

Maejo Man

Those little things cost the equivilent of 11,000+ liters of petrol each if I remember the news story right.

Makes you wonder about the spending and policing priorities. :o

I have never seen Thailand's finest walking anywhere.

I really cannot imagine them starting now, and on a bicycle in those skin

tight uniforms................

That will be a sight to see. :o

Maejo Man

Those little things cost the equivilent of 11,000+ liters of petrol each if I remember the news story right.

Makes you wonder about the spending and policing priorities. :o

I did see the price mentioned in the Post :D Frightening! Hence that one was only on loan for PR

Thailands fearless leader :D could make a smart move by subsidising the petrol needed for the BIB.

That would make him even more popular even with the midlle class. :o

Serve your country for those who can......

Oh my goodness they will save around 10.000 Bath a month.

What a joke....

Edited by AlexLah

Deputy Prime Minister Chidchai Vanasatidya said on Saturday

"The public can help police to save petrol costs by refraining from committing crimes," :D

I don’t get the meaning, still scratching my head or the DPM Chidchai losing his head. :o:D

Of course they could go to the government to ask for more money for fuel.

Ah bugger, which government. :o

This gouvernment knows his police very good... so they decide to let them use bicycles. No more gasoline for private purpose :D .

"We used to be able to buy 600 litres [of fuel] a month, but now we only get 300 litres per month ... We'll try to adjust our operations and encourage more people participation," he said.

There is some strange Thai logic here.

Firstly I did not realise the price of fuel had DOUBLED...................... :o

Secondly only 600litres a month?

My car holds 50L and I reckon to fill it once a week.......

That is 200L a month for one vehicle, and I do not drive all that far.

How on earth does the whole metropolitain police force manage with 600 litres???

Edited by astral

...Wiroj dismissed allegations police used fuel paid for by the government when they were off-duty...
Not only the fuel, the whole policecar! Go to any school in Thailand and see police bring and take their children :o . Just one example...

...Wiroj dismissed allegations police used fuel paid for by the government when they were off-duty...
Not only the fuel, the whole policecar! Go to any school in Thailand and see police bring and take their children :o . Just one example...

Not only that, some go as far as sending and fetching their wife from work places. TIT