Kefir Starter!

Hannon

Kefir (pronounced kee-fer) originates from the Caucasus Mountains in Eastern Europe. It's believed that the name comes from the Turkish word "keif" which means good feeling. Kefir's flavour is naturally sweet and slightly bubbly, and mild but a bit tangy as well.

The drink is made either with kefir grains or a powdered kefir starter — the grains aren't an actual grain like wheat, but are made of bacteria and yeast. Generally of a thinner consistency than yogurt, kefir is usually sold as a drink, either plain or flavoured.

It's very healthy, I have it every day. My current grains I brought over from USA, I was tired of trying to find it at Friendship Market.

It's really easy to make, just put the grains into whole milk, leave it outside for a day, strain and chill.. then drink. Do it every day and the grains grow and grow. I'll give him just a tablespoon and it will be enough for him to make his Kefir at home.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/12/kefir-benefits_n_3914818.html

• 2 months later...

Oakweb.

I have recentely discovered all about the amazing bacterias that help us to digest.

Without them what would we be ?

And very recent amazing researches are on the way.

Now I want to start kefir. As I go back home in my country about every 6 months I could only let the kefir grow for the time I stay here, then I'll have to start again. I guess many people may have this problem and it is a very nice way to rely on each other to keep the kefir available here.

Do you still have kefir to share now ?

I go to Big C south Pattaya almost everyday.

Thanks for your post about kefir.

Edited by thiy

I got my kefir grains from a member here and if I have to leave the country for more than a month I take them with me. It's really not such a big deal to put some grains in a small plastic water bottle and add milk and then throw it into you checked bags. Of course you need to be aware that kefir puts off gas as it eats the lactose so squeeze air out of the bottle before sealing it.

There is another long running thread about kefir found here

Thank you for the tip Jayman.

By the way do you know if there is different quality or kind of kefir, or is there only one kefir that has the same value?

From what I understand there are 2 types of kefir grains. Milk grains that eat lactose and sugary kefir-grains [sKG] that eat sugar.

A very, very informative site on all things kefir can be found here

• 10 months later...

Kefir's flavour is naturally sweet and slightly bubbly, and mild but a bit tangy as well.

Seriously? Kefir is very sour if made correctly. Perhaps you stop the fermentation early when there's still plenty of lactose left to give you a residual sweet flavour.

Thank you for the tip Jayman.

By the way do you know if there is different quality or kind of kefir, or is there only one kefir that has the same value?

In reference to milk kefir, all kefir grains originate from a mysterious mother culture back in time perhaps thousands of years ago in the Caucasus region. They truly are a mystery. There could be variations of grain size depending on your climate. In Thailand, brewing in a tropical climate, the grains will remain small.

I got my kefir grains from a member here and if I have to leave the country for more than a month I take them with me. It's really not such a big deal to put some grains in a small plastic water bottle and add milk and then throw it into you checked bags. Of course you need to be aware that kefir puts off gas as it eats the lactose so squeeze air out of the bottle before sealing it.

There is another long running thread about kefir found here

That must have been a nice bloke who sorted you out with grains.biggrin.png

When I travel I don't add milk. I just put strained grains into a zip lock bag. You'll be fine carrying them like this for many days. When you want to get started just put them in milk and they're good to go. They won't skip a beat. I've posted them in Thailand where they spent 5 days in the post office (in zip lock bag) and it wasn't a problem.

• Like 2