Rhode Island Red Chicks

Thomaspaul

• 1 month later...
Where are you located chicken man?

Phayao province.

'And where would one find/obtain the Jersey Giant, Orpington, Black and Copper Marans ?smile.png

Regards.

I've sent you a PM, if anyone else wants details please send me a message and I will reply. I suspect it would be against forum rules to give contact details in a post.

• Like 1

yep. for your own protection. but why would anyone want such heavy feathered and big chickens in thailand? aprt from the regular white battery egg layer who deal well with heat, i find the thai chickens really nice, good eggs, good mothers, friendly intelligent (for chickens) birds, eat much more opurtunistically, adn taste good...

We get regular 65 to 75g eggs from our girls. If you want very dark brown eggs the black and copper Marans oblige, and if you want novelty the Araucanas lay sky blue eggs, I believe Araucana crosses give olive eggs, though we have yet to try. We do have just one hen that is a Golden Lakenvelder bantam, they are known as the Dutch every day bird due to their consistency of laying, I would suspect for a free ranging bird they are pretty efficient at production. Anyway, you ask a good question, why bother with large heavy feathered breeds? I would suggest, eggs, meat ,interest, conservation. You do need to provide shelter in hot weather more so than for local breeds, but as mentioned they are less apt to disappear up trees. Some breeds are very endearing too, my wife loves our White Sussex, they are inquisitive, beautiful and do forage, especially if I forget to close the gate to the vegetable beds, they are pretty good layers too. local workers are amazed at the size of our birds, a couple even asked whether they can borrow a male to mate with their hens. It would indeed be an interesting experiment.

999926_665346483508429_176961750_n.jpg

Edited by Steely Dan
  • Like 1

our thai birds mixed with regular leghorns but the mixes are pretty ugly (if appearances are important)... we have one thai hen up with my cuchin mix hens, and rir mixes, she escapes but returns regularly and has managed to out run the kibbutz dogs and feral cats (and foxes who came and ate ranana and almost ate herzeliya, my cuchin hens), and the jackals too... she tends to lay in odd places while all the others use a communal laying box (on dry leaves of lemon grass, for a thai flavour , and to keep the eggs clean and dry when everything is muddy).

but my husband doesnt understand why i would keep 'pretty' birds if they are not 100% layers, or meat birds (the cuchins lay less then the leghorns who have been laying even in our BIG SNOW of jerusalem, in middle of winter with no extra light sources)...

and we hatched out lots of thai birds (gai shon) in our very simple cheapy incubator, run in thai fashion (basic thermometer and constant playing with the heat and humidity, not to mention that husband kept adding eggs every day w/o marking them), but we had good hatches...

• Like 2

Black chicken is a typical Chinese exclusive, double boiled with herbs and spices we consume it as a form of tonic and also delicacy.

In my village, i don't know the price/kg now but back then a few years ago, "IF" a kai ban/kai muang is ฿50/kg, kai dam would be ฿80.

If kai bai/kai muang is ฿100/kg then kai dam would be ฿130/kg... My neighbour raised them and customers are Chin Hor (Chinese ethnic) from Doi Mae Salong and Chinese ethnic from rural village 30km from my place...As for me, i prefered the ones in Big C in ready packs.

Black colour from eyes to feet.

This is women tonic for the monthly blood loss...because the most important ingredient in this dish is "Dang Gui" aka

Angelica sinensis.
But i greedily eat them all...Don't care~ (It is soooooooo delicious !) tongue.png
post-42398-0-13015400-1389364429_thumb.j
Edited by RedBullHorn

our thai birds mixed with regular leghorns but the mixes are pretty ugly (if appearances are important)... we have one thai hen up with my cuchin mix hens, and rir mixes, she escapes but returns regularly and has managed to out run the kibbutz dogs and feral cats (and foxes who came and ate ranana and almost ate herzeliya, my cuchin hens), and the jackals too... she tends to lay in odd places while all the others use a communal laying box (on dry leaves of lemon grass, for a thai flavour , and to keep the eggs clean and dry when everything is muddy).

but my husband doesnt understand why i would keep 'pretty' birds if they are not 100% layers, or meat birds (the cuchins lay less then the leghorns who have been laying even in our BIG SNOW of jerusalem, in middle of winter with no extra light sources)...

and we hatched out lots of thai birds (gai shon) in our very simple cheapy incubator, run in thai fashion (basic thermometer and constant playing with the heat and humidity, not to mention that husband kept adding eggs every day w/o marking them), but we had good hatches...

I take it that means you are not in the maket for showgirls, the skin is actually black, but not much meat, especially if you are having guests.

1497459_665350106841400_2100294250_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, here we are at the point of this whole operation. 8 male RIRs getting on for 3 kilos and designated for kitchen duties. (keeping 2)

Now what happens? Do we kill, pluck and dress them? Do we sell them live? What price? What's the standard procedure? (In your experience)smile.png

I've just got some ducks too, so you might as well chuck that info in there as well.

I have a feeling I might not like what's coming....biggrin.png

Regards.

If it were me ( and it will be soon) I would eat them myself, they hould go well in Tom Yum or Gang Keow Wan. You will have trouble selling them to Thais. What kind of ducks? There will usually be someone who provides dressed ducks to people in the local markets and you can sell live to him. It will be around 50 baht + or - per kg for Muscovy. Others may be difficult to move. If it is only a few I would eat them too. There I a dish called pa lote which I with soy sauce and sugar witch is pretty good.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...