No water Thepprasit Soi 8

Guderian

We've had no water at all during the day here for over a week now. There's a trickle in the night but it's not much, and zero during the day. A Thai handyman I know told me the PWA have a power supply problem to the pumps that provide the pressure to this area. His house is affected too. Then the village manager told me that they are laying new pipes and that is why we don't have any water. Does anybody know the truth, and when we can expect a "normal" service to be resumed?

I just can't recommend buying any sizable piece of property to live in right now. The water situation here has been quite bad in some recent years, and the number of condos still being built is amazing to this engineer. I doubt there is any planning of any type being done to potable water or proper sewage disposal. I would be extremely worried about buying one of those condo developments and then in a few years see the water run out.

Also an engineer and I agree completely with this. I was just looking at the number of new condos and hotels being built on and around Pratumnak the other day and I was wondering where all the water will come from and all the sewage go to. I don't see any sign of water or sewage treatment works being built.
  • Like 1

I bumped into the Thai handyman I use yesterday afternoon and asked him again if he knew when the water will be back. He said one day, one week, who knows? Doesn't anybody who can speak Thai ever think to call the PWA and ask them, or is that a waste of time?

I just can't recommend buying any sizable piece of property to live in right now. The water situation here has been quite bad in some recent years, and the number of condos still being built is amazing to this engineer. I doubt there is any planning of any type being done to potable water or proper sewage disposal. I would be extremely worried about buying one of those condo developments and then in a few years see the water run out.

Not really the case. Anyone who has lived in Pattaya for awhile knows not to buy/rent anything south of South Pattaya. Prat. Hill, Jomtien, and Na Jomtien have always had water supply problems (maybe has something to do with pumping water up and over that hill and being at the far end of the water distribution network). There have been years when those areas have gone months without water while pattaya proper, Naklua, and the darkside are fine. Like now, the darkside is fine...have to chose your location carefully.

• Like 2

From what I understand and from some info that was given to me by a condo manager is;

Water is pumped from the lakes from Siam Country Club Rd toward Pattaya. Water users out that way should have no problem. I am sure they pump day and night every day.

Water usage over all of Pattaya area is way up in day time. Ever notice all the large storage tanks mostly on top of the buildings? So when a building needs water they just pump and store if and when they can get it. The first customers get all the water any time. Second customers get only at night and the tanks store for day use. Third rate customers get none at all. So many users are ahead of them that no water makes it or maybe on a rare occasion. How far from the lake determines your ability to receive water.

So the third rate customers must order water by truck all the time as needed. I heard there are two levels of quality. City water and pond water as ordered, cheap and not so cheap.

Second rate customers may have to order a tank truck if they use up too much water during the day.

This is what I have deduced so please enlighten me.

thx

LLL

Edited by threelegcowboy

• 1 month later...

The water supply problems have been dragging on here for some 6 weeks now. To judge by the number of water tankers driving around the streets it's quite a widespread problem. A guy on the committee in this village drove out to the PWA offices a week ago and I thought people affected by the problem might find what he was told useful.

He met up with 6 of their engineers at the office and they showed him maps and plans on their computers. The water in this part of town comes from Sattahip, in a line running along Sukhumvit. The pipeline is old, around 40 years or so, and the material its made of is breaking down. Rather than keep on patching it up as they have been doing for the last few years they are now replacing the whole thing with a new 60 cm diameter pipe made of a newer and better material. You can see this pipe in places on Sukhumvit, it's a black colour. The work is supposed to be finished in February and as long as the supply from Sattahip stays up there should be no more supply disruptions or shortages once the improvements are completed.

So it looks like we will have to put up with at least another 2 months of this, but hopefully once the job is done the unreliable water supply we've had to put up with over the last few years will be history. I hope that information helps someone, anyway.

• Like 1

And it is only going to get worse. You are having and have had problems for years and yet they continue to build and build and build. I look at the new section of road through Jomtien and can foresee literally hundreds of condos, all of which will need an ever diminishing supply of water, electricity and sewage

Just look at the new section from Chyapuke to Sukumvit, which any idiot can see was just built to provide access for new un-built condos in that area, since the road ends at Sukumvit and you can only go North

And it is only going to get worse. You are having and have had problems for years and yet they continue to build and build and build. I look at the new section of road through Jomtien and can foresee literally hundreds of condos, all of which will need an ever diminishing supply of water, electricity and sewage

Just look at the new section from Chyapuke to Sukumvit, which any idiot can see was just built to provide access for new un-built condos in that area, since the road ends at Sukumvit and you can only go North

I'm not sure which parts of town the pipeline from Sattahip supplies but evidently the areas that are currently ground zero for new condo developments along Jomtien Second Road don't seem to be affected. The existing mega-condo areas like VT1/2/5/7/JCC also seem to be unaffected. I'm assuming they get their water from a different source. I remember a post here a few years back by Greg Lange of Sunbelt Asia and he said that Pattaya has something like five different sources of water supply of which Lake Mabprachan was the least important. Having said that just the small area along Soi 8 is seeing some big development activity (at least by the standards of an area 1500 m from the beach). They've built around 10 condo blocks in one development and on the plot next door a new development of town houses is being built. Across the road is the newly completed Suksabai residence and the Zense condo that's still under construction. Further afield there's the big condo that's nearing completion behind Big C Sukhumvit and Duck Square. The amount of building in this area is not on the scale that it is down in Jomtien but it's still pretty intensive.