Price for cutting rice

bunnydrops

Last year we paid 600 baht a rai, this year they want 800-900 and they are refusing to cut some farms due to small size or difficulty. Is there a shortage of these machines this year or are they just getting greedy. In some cases I have seen where they are trying to cut so fast that they leave strips of uncut rices in the fields in between their runs.

Its a mad house here. They say they will come tomorrow only to find out someone is paying them more and they have gone someplace else. I don't understand much about the middle man thats gets them the work. It used to be they got 50 a rai but now I think they are getting a %.

Its a mad house here. They say they will come tomorrow only to find out someone is paying them more and they have gone someplace else. I don't understand much about the middle man thats gets them the work. It used to be they got 50 a rai but now I think they are getting a %.

The wife and m/l decided to go for the Kubota harvester this years as even the rice cutters are demanding 300 bt per day. When a Thai says up yours because of the 300 bt wages you know something is not correct. Most of the easy rice has been cut by the harvesters and they have departed the area. BUT there is a lot of rice that has to be cut by hand and threshed. And this is where my wifes business comes in..

DSC_6578-email.jpg

• Like 2

600 baht a rai works out to 60 us dollar an acre for harvesting a grain crop. Welcome to robbery without need of a mask or weapon.

Are these local people who have to live in the local where they are cutting, or from outside where they do not have to suffer the fallout of their pricing? Unbelievable....

600 baht a rai works out to 60 us dollar an acre for harvesting a grain crop. Welcome to robbery without need of a mask or weapon.

Are these local people who have toe live in the local where they are cutting, or from outside where they do not have to suffer the fallout of their pricing? Unbelievable....

Local and that's the going rate. The m/l got 2 machines per rai at that price. Normally its 550 to 650 per rai for one machine.

Edited by khwaibah

Are these local people who have to live in the local where they are cutting, or from outside where they do not have to suffer the fallout of their pricing? Unbelievable....

If it is the going rate, then it is not robbery.

You have to remember that the rice farmer makes an investment in a crop and can lose everything due to the weather. If costs to harvest are too high compared to likely return, then the farmer will give up, so nobody earns anything.

loong, That was my point, this amount to cut may force rice farmers to switch to another crop, where harvesting cost can be lowered. Another idea may be a binder for cutting/shocking and the treshing of grain done by hand.

When the machines were first introduced about 4 or 5 years ago in our area the rate was 250 a rai. Not having kept up with the cost I was somewhat shocked by the 600 to 900 baht being charged today

In the real world commerical cutters charged by the acre and then by the bushel for the quanity over a peset figure. 25 to 30 bushel/acre. Wet years combine price would increase a little but price of grain never was a real factor, as the custom cutters needed repeat business and liked to keep the same customers year after year. I know that there is no comparison between here and there, but some businesses seem to take advantage of others when they see they are in need or are getting good return for their farm effort.

loong, That was my point, this amount to cut may force rice farmers to switch to another crop, where harvesting cost can be lowered. Another idea may be a binder for cutting/shocking and the treshing of grain done by hand.

When the machines were first introduced about 4 or 5 years ago in our area the rate was 250 a rai. Not having kept up with the cost I was somewhat shocked by the 600 to 900 baht being charged today

In the real world commerical cutters charged by the acre and then by the bushel for the quanity over a peset figure. 25 to 30 bushel/acre. Wet years combine price would increase a little but price of grain never was a real factor, as the custom cutters needed repeat business and liked to keep the same customers year after year. I know that there is no comparison between here and there, but some businesses seem to take advantage of others when they see they are in need or are getting good return for their farm effort.

This is the real world for Thailand and issan. It's been 600 baht per rai for the past 5 years in our area and that is not going to change. With a labor cutting rice at 300 bahtt per day the farmer are rebelling against and going over to the harvester. A new Kubota DC 70 harvester is at 1.5 million baht and you still have to transport it. Who is going to pay for this?

In nong Han area, it's 700 baht per rai. We offered locals 400 b per day to cut and no one would do it. Had to get brothers up from Bangkok to cut it. The harvester was 3 weeks away 4 weeks ago and still no site if them as we only have 25 rai and they are doing quite larger farms. The locals are still sitting on their ass doing nothing. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Just wondering what the price per rai is doing it this way. I see 6 people in the photo, not counting the cutters?

The wife and m/l decided to go for the Kubota harvester this years as even the rice cutters are demanding 300 bt per day. When a Thai says up yours because of the 300 bt wages you know something is not correct. Most of the easy rice has been cut by the harvesters and they have departed the area. BUT there is a lot of rice that has to be cut by hand and threshed. And this is where my wifes business comes in..

DSC_6578-email.jpg

How could anyone charge 250/rai only even 5 years ago, when overhead alone is at an absolute minimum about 200 Baht, Gasoline cost alone is 100-130 Baht/rai (!), driver gets 40-60 Baht/rai, 2nd man on top, commission to the one who brings customers (50 Baht/rai), 3 x food & whiskey (!) per day for the work people, cost for having and running a trailer and driver? I'm still not talking about the almost daily changes of belts, then engine oil, hydraulics oil and occasional heavy repairs, yearly amortization of a 1.5 - 2.5 million Baht machine and eventually interest payments when a harvester is financed. Probably forgot something. Oh yes, when a Thai harvester gets stuck in the mud and you need a specially conceived machine to take you out, the cost is a staggering 12-15'000 Baht (going rate), some charge even more, just to take you out one time. Often, this year much too often, rice stalks get stuck in the thresher when there is much water on the ground and the rice is lying down vs. standing straight ... By the way, the big Thai harvesters have been produced here for about 20 years now.

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

When your paying 100+_ baht for a driver of combine and a commission man, then add in chance of having to spend 10 to 12000 to get sucked out of a mud hole, some may justify this cost, as the charge for cutting. Cutting 30 rai/day requires 3000 baht to pay what some may think as, two. 300 baht a day labor. just thinking, outload.

When your paying 100+_ baht for a driver of combine and a commission man, then add in chance of having to spend 10 to 12000 to get sucked out of a mud hole, some may justify this cost, as the charge for cutting. Cutting 30 rai/day requires 3000 baht to pay what some may think as, two. 300 baht a day labor. just thinking, outload.

Combine in my region get 600 per rai and the operator and helper('s) get a 20% cut. So at 30 rai that's 18'000 baht and 20% that's 3600 baht. You will not get a harvester operator or helper for 300 baht. BTW there is no middleman.Operator, helper and possible owner. You may have two helpers. Everyone doubles up on jobs. Last year harvesters were requiring the farmer to sign an agreement that if the harvester got damaged by a mud hole the farmer had to pay..

Edited by khwaibah

Times are changing in Thailand and this so called min wage for Tax paying workers only has inflated the market price, so you can always do what we did, buy your own DC-70.

But remember the hidden costs which totals around 2 million baht for everything...Trailer...tractor..tooling..fuel drums..PPE...Bags and bloody fuel which so far is around 75,000bt and the first payment takes around 2-3 weeks as they need to take the rice to the market.

Then there is maintenance costs after the season......600bt sounds fair.

• Like 2

Times are changing in Thailand and this so called min wage for Tax paying workers only has inflated the market price, so you can always do what we did, buy your own DC-70.

But remember the hidden costs which totals around 2 million baht for everything...Trailer...tractor..tooling..fuel drums..PPE...Bags and bloody fuel which so far is around 75,000bt and the first payment takes around 2-3 weeks as they need to take the rice to the market.

Then there is maintenance costs after the season......600bt sounds fair.

It is being seriously discussed in the family at this time. I could see it happening before next season.

Now I remember why I declined to buy/finance a combine about 6 years ago. I had forgotten what some people think they are woth in the unskilled labor market in Thailand If a combine driver and his helper can hold up a machine owner for 20% of gross, times are going to get a lot tougher than what they are now.

Combine in my region get 600 per rai and the operator and helper('s) get a 20% cut. So at 30 rai that's 18'000 baht and 20% that's 3600 baht. You will not get a harvester operator or helper for 300 baht. BTW there is no middleman.Operator, helper and possible owner. You may have two helpers. Everyone doubles up on jobs. Last year harvesters were requiring the farmer to sign an agreement that if the harvester got damaged by a mud hole the farmer had to pay..

Do you honestly believe that any farmer would sign something like this??? Forget it, they just take another machine, there are always 4 or 5 around from the Bangkok area ... anywhere you look in the Isaan now. Sinking into mud holes problems has always been paid by the harvester owner and never by a farmer. The one who tries to make any farmer sign such a paper risks to lose all customers.

Edited by Dario

Do you honestly believe that any farmer would sign something like this??? Forget it, they just take another machine, there are always 4 or 5 around from the Bangkok area ... anywhere you look in the Isaan now. Sinking into mud holes problems has always been paid by the harvester owner and never by a farmer. The one who tries to make any farmer sign such a paper risks to lose all customers.

Never said it was smart. Had a issue last year in back of us on 20 rai where a DC 60 was buried up to its sunroof. Took 8 hours for two tractors and another DC 60 to salvage the other. The job was about 30% done. They departed and the farmer had to finish it himself. Most farmers walk their land and put out bamboo poles with a white flag to mark a bad area the harvester will then by pass this area and the farmer will go back afterwards and hand cut.

up here combine harvester charge 700/rai for standing crop, 900/rai for fallen crop.

Some prefered hill tribe force...the driver charge 700-900 and 1'000-1'200 per rai and guarantee contract work completion within the day.

Each pickup trunk have about 20 hillbillies on board. Only cutting work, the land owner usually do their own crop tie and gathering a few days after drying under the sun.

The first thing we learned on the farm, when the wheels or tracks, of the vehicle your driving start digging down, STOP, We had hitches on the back of all vehicles (frame conected) a barrel full of log chains and cable so as to be able to get 150+ foot away if needed. Always pull the standed vehicle backwards as its already proven ground capable of holding the vehicle up.Even during harvest during the wet we always got out with a farm tractor. Now it did have weights on the rear tires to prevent tire slippage and proper size tires to be called a farm tractor.

The mud hole pictured above would indicate the first item mentioned was not a part of this adventure.It does not take a genius to be a combine driver, but it does require common sense, a ear for the sound of your machine and to pay attention to the area around you. In fact I have stopped near our house in CM to watch the combines work, as a couple of times it has proven better than watching cartoons.

• Like 1

In nong Han area, it's 700 baht per rai. We offered locals 400 b per day to cut and no one would do it. Had to get brothers up from Bangkok to cut it. The harvester was 3 weeks away 4 weeks ago and still no site if them as we only have 25 rai and they are doing quite larger farms. The locals are still sitting on their ass doing nothing. Go figure.

Saw ang Daen Din same same, locals want 400 a day plus food plus Lao Khao,harvester is 700 per rai,hence locals are warming their hammocks.

Last year we had blokes catching fish for 2 hours in afternoon, pay was 2kg of fish each, this year they want (nay demanded)100 baht an hour plus the 2 kg of fish.

TW with a length of bamboo and big dog sent them packing with a tirade that was heard all over village, one bloke was so scared he left his moto and had to send his wife over to retrieve it.

• Like 2

Someone came around to us this morning trying to recruit our staff at 300 Baht per day to cut rice. It seems they are struggling to find labour even at that price.

Regards.

Yeah, they are being paid more to join protests in BKK

• Like 1

Saw ang Daen Din same same, locals want 400 a day plus food plus Lao Khao,harvester is 700 per rai,hence locals are warming their hammocks.

Last year we had blokes catching fish for 2 hours in afternoon, pay was 2kg of fish each, this year they want (nay demanded)100 baht an hour plus the 2 kg of fish.

TW with a length of bamboo and big dog sent them packing with a tirade that was heard all over village, one bloke was so scared he left his moto and had to send his wife over to retrieve it.

Sounds like you have a good one ! lol

Mind you, my 43kg can fight for Thailand and don't I know it!

The first thing we learned on the farm, when the wheels or tracks, of the vehicle your driving start digging down, STOP, We had hitches on the back of all vehicles (frame conected) a barrel full of log chains and cable so as to be able to get 150+ foot away if needed. Always pull the standed vehicle backwards as its already proven ground capable of holding the vehicle up.Even during harvest during the wet we always got out with a farm tractor. Now it did have weights on the rear tires to prevent tire slippage and proper size tires to be called a farm tractor.

The mud hole pictured above would indicate the first item mentioned was not a part of this adventure.It does not take a genius to be a combine driver, but it does require common sense, a ear for the sound of your machine and to pay attention to the area around you. In fact I have stopped near our house in CM to watch the combines work, as a couple of times it has proven better than watching cartoons.

Have worked myself out of many a situation in reverse (or rocking forward/reverse) before resorting to more time consuming ways.

Don't panic, assess the situation and you will work out how to get free.