Teaching English in Cambodia....

BusterBV

Hello

I am interested in teaching English in SE Asia and was considering an offer in Thailand until i got surfing this forum.

However, Cambodia looks interesting.

Does anyone have experience or input on teaching English in Cambodia.

Thank you for your replies

I know several teachers there, and I was offered a job without asking.

A big difference is that they will slip almost any white skinned farang into some of the private schools even if the farang has no qualifications.

The bad news is that they have a lot of unqualified teachers so the pay is low for those - maybe only US$5.00 an hour.

Qualified teachers can teach at better schools and make more - $10 - $15 an hour but those jobs are harder to find. I know an American whose head of a good school there and he makes $US30k per year, or $2,500 pm. So the bottom wage and the top wage might be lower in Cambodia partly because visas are easy, you don't need a work permit, you don't absolutely need the right credentials, and so they attract a lot of... ??

Some will debate this but I say the cost of living is significantly higher in Cambodia than Thailand. The food isn't nearly as good. Rent for a decent place, utilities, food, sundries - all more expensive in Cambodia. The things that are noticeably cheaper are cigs, alcoholic beverages, maybe clothing, and, well, bars and all that goes with that.

The infrastructure isn't as good in Cambodia but it's improving rapidly. It's acceptable. The people are poorer and wages are less. English is much more widely spoken. They are working hard on that. They readily accept the US dollar everywhere, or their own currency.

Their health care system can't carry water for Thailand's. Anything serious and you need to evacuate to perhaps Ubon or Bangkok.

If I wanted to teach and had the real teacher credentials, Thailand would be a no-brainer for me. If I didn't have the credentials, it would be Cambodia.

Oh. I experience Cambodians as more farang (Barang they say) friendly. They are much more genuinely friendly to me.

Good luck.

Thank you for your quick reply.

Interesting take on things and i thank you for your honesty.

I have a Uni degree and 1 & 1/2 year experience full time teaching assistant.

Do you believe it is better to apply outside of the country or go there and cold call?

Many thanks

I have several teacher friends here in Cambodia. Most schools do require that their teachers hold a TEFL or CELTA certificate, and some require the candidate have a degree. Those who hold a CELTA and a degree will generally earn higher salaries than those with just a TEFL. There are some lower-end schools that will employ people without any quals, but the pay will reflect that, ie. $5 p/hr.

Also note that there are approximately 26 + public holidays, plus weekends, that you will not be working. So if you are on an hourly rate you would want to be at the higher end of the spectrum and/or be employed full time (8+ hrs per day), otherwise you will be struggling to earn a decent income. Ideally a salaried position would be best, or earning at least $10 p/hr.

I am not speaking from first hand experience, this is what I have been told by friends, some who are earning less than $1000 p/mth, some earning as much as $3000 p/mth. Do your research, there are plenty of websites out there with a lot of info like K440 and Dave's Café which regularly advertise vacancies and provide plenty info on teaching in Cambodia.

• Like 1

-snip-

Cambodia is NOT more expensive than Thailand to live and eat ( i have lived in Cambodia an am back in Thailand)

Local food is not as good but u can get decent Farang food for around $5/meal

Well, it's OK to disagree. Also, it depends on whether you live in Bangkok or Udon as to costs.

But I couldn't find a comparable apartment to Thailand for the same price. I found utilities including internet to be nearly double. I found used car and scooter prices higher with less selection. I found food to cost more both in restaurants and in markets.

Maybe you were more experienced and did better. Here is a culmination of supposed reports from people who live in Bangkok and PP, the main cities. I suppose it depends on your lifestyle too, so take it for what you will:

LINK

I Live in Phuket and it costs me about the same when i llved in Phnom Penh as living here

Do agree Thailand accomodations for value are much better than Cambodia

BUT u can find decent acco in PP, SR or SHV for under $300/month and even studios furnised in SHV for under $200

• Like 1

I Live in Phuket and it costs me about the same when i llved in Phnom Penh as living here

Do agree Thailand accomodations for value are much better than Cambodia

BUT u can find decent acco in PP, SR or SHV for under $300/month and even studios furnised in SHV for under $200

Would you think Phuket is one of the more expensive places in Thailand? I was thinking more Chiang Mai, anywhere Isaan, etc. as being cheaper.

I wasn't in Cambodia long enough to really learn the ropes about where to live, eat or shop so maybe I just didn't know.

• 1 year later...

I live in Cambodia. The idea that Thailand is cheaper than Cambodia in any way is risible. Food, beer, accomodation, smokes, etc. are all cheaper in Cambodia. The only thing Thailand is cheaper for is electricity.

Most teachers here don't make $5 an hour - $8-$10 is more the norm for unqualified teachers in Siem Reap, Phnom Penh or Battambang at least (and that's where most teachers are). Fully qualified teachers rarely make more than $3k a month with several, in my experience, on around $1,300-$1,500. Part-time hours are very much the norm for first time jobs in Cambodia and yes, the poster above who says if you don't work you don't get paid is completely right.

It is much easier to get hired here, much easier to work legally (and indeed ilegally here) and visas are way simpler and less annoying than in Thailand.

On the flip side; it's much less developed here and shopping and services are much better in Thailand and you'd rather be ill in Thailand than in Cambodia because health services in particular suck here.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 11/23/2013 at 6:44 AM, BusterBV said:

Thank you for your quick reply.

Interesting take on things and i thank you for your honesty.

I have a Uni degree and 1 & 1/2 year experience full time teaching assistant.

Do you believe it is better to apply outside of the country or go there and cold call?

Many thanks

Thing is surfing this forum is not indicative of what thailand is about.

Posts from past it bar lizards who suffer erectile dysfunction and believe casual racism is acceptable are not  reflective of what a wonderful life that can be had.

I Have a friend who has now been teaching in rankaempaeng for almost 15 years. No degree and tbh I thought intellect wise he'd never cut the mustard.

He lives in the community and is widely respected. He has learnt the language, is respectful to colleagues students and his neighbours ( ie normal behaviour not racist ) and he loves it.

Dont be put off by the 'meldrews' on here. Give thailand and teaching a go .