General information please...

Noi657

Hi people...

I wonder if anyone could give me any information about Khanom and the surrounding areas.

Brief info about me....

I am 38 years old and currently live in the UK with my Thai wife and our three year old daughter, We have been married for six years. Our house is currently on the market and once it's sold we will be moving to Thailand, my wife's family are from Udon Thani, we will probably base ourselves there for three months but we certainly don't see our long term future there. Having done the whole koh samui, phuket, koh chang thing I'm looking for somewhere underdeveloped, quiet to set up home long term. Been looking at various sites trying to get info about Khanom (not much there, yet) I know the best thing to do is come out and experience it for yourself but I like to get as much information as possible before arriving. We will be giving ourselves one year to decide whether to try a business of sorts in Thailand or refurb/renovate property in the UK, this is my background. My wife was a manageress at a hotel in phuket for 3 years, this is her background. Could anyone give me some info on the following areas please?

1: What is the schooling like in Khanom and areas beyond.

2: Property rental availability

3: guesstimate for land prices, beachfront, town, rural.

4: How quickly has/is Khanom changing and where do you see it's future.

5: How safe have you found Khanom.

6: Could go on and on............

Basically if you could take the time to forward me any information I would greatly appreciate it!

I buy food and drinks too!!

Kind regards

Scott

Hi Scott,

a mate of mine recently returned and loved it !

But (to give you an idea of why), not many if any foreigners, that might mean schooling options limited to Thai local.

Rental properties, yes available.

Land prices, he said reasonable but infrastructure (electricity, phone lines etc.) spotty.

He said definitely felt safe, local Thais very friendly and helpful.

He says in the future he sees more foreigners moving in as it's a lot more laid back Thailand than the already over-populated Samui/Phuket/Hua Hin.

• Like 1

we stayed there earlier this year, nice enough place and not too developed as yet, starting to do the beachside tall apartments thing so prices will be on the rise, there are lots of kids there so there will have to be schools available and there are rentals as well. It is between Surat Thani and Nakon Si Thammarat so you do have other choices. Khanom has nice beaches and locals go there instead if Samui, we went to music festival, great night.

It is a lovely place...

Everything there that you would need I think.

Your wife could get work to tide you over, at least 4 big hotels that would need staff (experienced).

Land prices are already pretty high, especially beach front. However, just go back inland 1km and you can still get reasonable priced plots. As for rentals, just depends at the time but always seems to be plenty of signs around.

Not sure about schools, definately Thai schools there but wouldn't have a clue if you need English speaking.

All in all, top spot... Get in early as it will only get more expensive as the masses move in :)

P.S I don't live there, we are half way to Surat so I'm happy to promote it, makes no odds to me...

I used to live in Samui 5 years and now in Khanom 5 years.

Khanom is really nice small beach town.

There is many schools and some my farang friends kids are in local school in here too.

Lots of houses for rent different prices and different sizes.

Land price near beach have been go up so fast lately but about one km from beach u can have nice plots quite cheap prices too.

Khanom is growing but not too fast, not so much night life but still OK.

Local peoples are so fantastic and help full + here u can find that real thai smile and help full locals who dont want rip u off with dollar bill pictures in their eyes.

They planing to make new international airport soon in Don Sak area, it will boost the area a lot.

New beach road from Khanom to Sichon is almost ready and it will make more traffic on this area too.

Khanom electric station power plant are already under renovation and there will be soon over hundred Norwegian engineers working 2 - 4 years.

New activities in here is french horse stable, 3 european big horses for horse safari & horse back riding,

Soon will start SUP, Kite board and wind surfing school and rental.

Here is few farang restaurants is in the area and of course lots of local places.

Roads are very good in here and not much traffic.

post-22292-0-22439500-1385628275_thumb.j

post-22292-0-01970700-1385628356_thumb.j

post-22292-0-76413500-1385628436_thumb.j

post-22292-0-76020200-1385628616_thumb.j

• Like 1

Some people will say it's gone down hill since the Russians moved in; noisier and ruder. I live in and worked at the Golden Beach Hotel. Very nice there. The beach is very nice as well. In fact Surat hasn't a beach at all unless tou drive away from the city. K-nom is the closest.

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting your plans.

I am swiss and have thai wife (11 years) and we have 2 daughters (almost 6 and 3 years old).

Sometimes we think about going to live in Thailand, my wife is from Nakhon Si Thammarat (not far from Khanom).

But we are worried about finding a job or an income to live there and about the school for our daughters.

I am an economist / accountant and my wife is shop assistant. Not easy to find a job.

My mother language is italian, but I speak quite well english, french and german.

So please post your experience it may help other users, like me.

Thank you

Bye for now

• 2 weeks later...

We were driving around today and found this place...

Nice gardens, empty of furniture.

Just 5k a month.

It is at the southern end of Khanom, not the main beach but you could be swimming by walking less than 30m :) I have no connection to this property, just one of the places that is for rent at the moment.

post-85853-0-45247600-1388148125_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dear 1900

May i ask that what russians????

There is really few russians in that area ( luckily !! ) and they are really harmless and quiet people.

Lots of building and new projects come to here all the time and progress looks good.

Good time to move in and start some business before it will really boom.