Thailand's political situation still a hot topic on the social media

webfact

BURNING ISSUE
Political situation still a hot topic on the social media

Kornchanok Raksaseri

30220359-01_big.gif

BANGKOK: -- The social media appeared to have calmed down a little last week until the Constitutional Court passed a verdict on the constitutionality of a charter amendment pertaining to the qualification of senators on Wednesday afternoon.

That's when the buzz picked up again as people started sharing what the court had said, the summary of the verdict and its different interpretations. Then came comments and reactions from political players, not to mention the atmosphere at the different rallies becoming more electrified.

Though many people discussed the "logic" of the verdict, many also started slamming the judges - some rather rudely. In fact, a little before midnight, Facebook user Nusrin Somchat pointed out: "The word hia [monitor lizard - a term of abuse in Thai] seems to be used a lot today."

In fact, some of the terms bandied about became so unpleasant that some users threatened to "unfriend" certain people for their rudeness.

And with the weekend upon us, more people have started talking about the protests.

Calls from the Democrats and other anti-government groups to join their rally at Democracy Monument have become louder. Adding to that call, a bunch of Chulalongkorn and Thammasat graduates are encouraging their friends to meet up at the Royal Turf Club in Nang Lerng before marching down to the rally site.

DJ Suharit Siamwalla, who ran for the post of Bangkok governor in the last election, said on Facebook that he would be heading to Democracy Monument - not because he supports the Democrats, but because he wants to fight for the sanctity of the Thai Parliament.

Separately, a Pheu Thai MP and red-shirt leader posted a message on Thursday night saying there were no rallies planned for tomorrow as reported by the media, as they had to evaluate the situation first.

In addition to these campaigns, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's son Panthongtae has launched a crusade to "reclaim the Thai flag" from people who have been posting the national flag on their Facebook pages as a symbol of their support for the Democrat-led campaign.

Panthongtae wants his supporters to post the message: "The national flag and the national anthem are symbols of Thainess - they do not belong to any one particular group. Everybody should help reclaim the flag and not let it be used as a tool to divide the Thais."

Apart from comments on the volatile political situation, there were other hot topics doing the rounds in social media.

First there was the ironically named "Never Go to Thailand" video created by Brian Camusat, which showed how the Kingdom was still a cool, popular tourist destination.

Then there were the photographs of some South Korean people who underwent plastic surgery to change their look dramatically. In fact, some users said the before-and-after pictures were so different that it looked like a complete hoax.

As for me, I came upon an even more unbelievable item on Facebook. It was a video clip created by a young lady called "Green", in which she invites people to join her at a "swingers' party [swapping partners]" for a fee of Bt500. Though in the clip Green says she has posted her phone number on the Facebook page, it was not included in the shared version.

This video raised quite a few eyebrows. Mana Treelayapewat wrote on Facebook: "I was stunned to see Nong Green posting such an invite on social media. How can she be so explicit, shrugging off all laws and morality? Is she imitating the politicians?"

Hang on! How did we get back to the subject of politics?

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-11-23

• Like 1

As for me, I came upon an even more unbelievable item on Facebook. It was a video clip created by a young lady called "Green", in which she invites people to join her at a "swingers' party [swapping partners]" for a fee of Bt500. Though in the clip Green says she has posted her phone number on the Facebook page, it was not included in the shared version.Did anyone get her number? I want it too!!!!

As for me, I came upon an even more unbelievable item on Facebook. It was a video clip created by a young lady called "Green", in which she invites people to join her at a "swingers' party [swapping partners]" for a fee of Bt500. Though in the clip Green says she has posted her phone number on the Facebook page, it was not included in the shared version.Did anyone get her number? I want it too!!!!

Green? I though 500 baht was the going rate if you were Red.