Pheu Thai party to file rebellion charge against constitutional court judges

webfact

Pheu Thai party to file rebellion charge against constitutional court judges

images-9-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A group of Pheu Thai party MPs led by Sunai Chulapongsatorn will today ask the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to file rebellion charge against Constitutional Court judges over its ruling of the amendment to the Constitution regarding the composition of the Senate.

Sunai said the ruling by the Constitutional Court was illegitimate and violated the Constitution as it interfered with the power of the Legislative body.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pheu-thai-party-file-rebellion-charge-constitutional-court-judges/

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-11-25

• Like 1

This should be good for another chuckle. A group of PT mps asking the DSI to file legal charges Both groups are lguided by people so far out of their field of compentance that they have already demonstrated they have a difficutlt time "coming in out of the rain."

On top of that the failure of the "Thaksin go free bill" left the que for new cases, 26,000 back in line. They will probably ignore the que system also.

What a mess.

PT could have presented it's constitution to the people to vote on like the one in 2007 and avoid all this. They were popular enough, they said, to be able to do anything and win anywhere. They even had the nation's saviour just waiting to come home and make the country the hub of all hubs in hubland.

So why didn't they?

Summary of current Thai political system: When I don't get what I want I will beat my chest & scream, have some protests, and then file a police complaint against or sue my enemies in court....this should make my current follows think that is the right approach and will fix things...my follows will then be happy for a while longer and they will continue to follow me. This is also sometimes referred to as the Pied Piper approach.

Oh yea, during all of these political battles the people & country are losing the war to move the country forward and make a better life for the Thai people. TIT

Preposterous Thailand. Suing their own constitutional court judges. How preposterous. Do Thais ever contemlate what they look like to the outside world?

Do you really believe the rest of the world gives a rats ass about Thailand. Very rarely does Thailand even make back page news in other countries (other than in Asia), it has never made front page news in most Western countries.

many TV forum members rant on and on about Thailand thinking the rest of the world must be doing the same.

It should never have got to this stage. The ruling itself should have been delayed until it was established whether or not it would be legally appropriate.

Which ruling should have been delayed? If you're saying the Constitutional Court ruling should have been delayed, then the question would be: Who was going to establish whether it was legally appropriate?

The PTP needs to realise that this is precisely the reason it is in so much trouble with the Thai people, this business of not liking the umpires decision and going off half cocked, obnoxiously brow beating authority, is not the proper way to run a country, the PTP are likened to spoilt children, they dummy spit when the numbers are against them , the PTP , bah.gif a party of losers.

What a mess.

PT could have presented it's constitution to the people to vote on like the one in 2007 and avoid all this. They were popular enough, they said, to be able to do anything and win anywhere. They even had the nation's saviour just waiting to come home and make the country the hub of all hubs in hubland.

So why didn't they?

As I understand it, PTP were not allowed to make wholesale changes to the constitution so couldn't do what you suggest. They were however allowed to make smaller amendments to the constitution, which is what they are trying to do. All I see is PTP trying to stick to the rules - obviously playing the game and stretching the rules to suit their agenda (rushing things through etc) - but still within the strict letter of the law. In other words I think the main gripe is that they are not following the 'spirit' of the law which of course is not explicit in legal terms.

The fact that it is not even clearly known if the constitution court can rule on certain actions just adds to the confusion but it seems the core of this problem is the clarity - or otherwise - of the law itself.

The problem is the nature of the 'wholesale' changes.

I agree totally that the law, indeed most Thai laws, are too fuzzy and wide open to abuse.

What a mess.

So why didn't they?

As I understand it, PTP were not allowed to make wholesale changes to the constitution so couldn't do what you suggest. They were however allowed to make smaller amendments to the constitution, which is what they are trying to do. All I see is PTP trying to stick to the rules - obviously playing the game and stretching the rules to suit their agenda (rushing things through etc) - but still within the strict letter of the law. In other words I think the main gripe is that they are not following the 'spirit' of the law which of course is not explicit in legal terms.

The fact that it is not even clearly known if the constitution court can rule on certain actions just adds to the confusion but it seems the core of this problem is the clarity - or otherwise - of the law itself.

As the Constitutional Court ruled on the process followed it would seem that the Pheu Thai led government is NOT sticking to the rules. 'bending', 'stretching', 'cutting corners' is not identical to 'sticking to the rules' The spirit of the law means the CC decline to put penalties on the guilty.

• Like 1

It's getting absurd even by Thai politics standards. Give Tarit a week and he'll ramp up the charges to 'murder' then ask the courts to rule against themselves. It's quite unclear to me if the DSI has a mandate to accept the case so the Dems can sue the DSI for taking on the case and the courts can refuse to accept judgment because they don't think the charter empowers DSI to rule.