US urges calm amid Thailand protests

webfact

This from a country where the national sport is invading other countries and toppling legitimate governments to be replaced by American puppet governments. Methinks America should keep it's big mouth shut

And when the conflict started in Iraq, who was the closest ally to the States? That's right, England!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This from a country where the national sport is invading other countries and toppling legitimate governments to be replaced by American puppet governments. Methinks America should keep it's big mouth shut

'Methinks' you should keeps yours shut too and do some research: hailing from a country with a puppet gov't ruled and owned by world bank cartels since the Rotshchilds, since they took over the Bank of England at the time of Napolean. Methinks you don't thinks before you types.

blah blah.. I thought this was about today and recent times, not ancient history. Methinks you need to hand Texas back to Mexico

Why do you keep bringing up Texas? Do you know no history at all?

There is no dispute concerning Texas - the land was ceded by Mexico once and for all in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo after they lost the U.S.-Mexican war. In the treaty, the Rio Grande was determined to be the southern border between the two countries.

Pretty much every conquering nation could say similar - it was ceded during such and such a war - to the winner goes the spoils - it is a poor argument. If it was taken under force or threat then what is the difference between it and the British Raj in India (which incidentally gave home rule - puppets yes, but home rule - and independence in '47)?

blah blah.. I thought this was about today and recent times, not ancient history. Methinks you need to hand Texas back to Mexico

Dude, go read some history! Texas fought and won a war of independence, was a republic, had its own currency, flag, president, before it joined the Union. Use a better example like the state of Canada or something!

• Like 2

There is no dispute concerning Texas - the land was ceded by Mexico once and for all in the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo after they lost the U.S.-Mexican war. In the treaty, the Rio Grande was determined to be the southern border between the two countries.

Pretty much every conquering nation could say similar - it was ceded during such and such a war - to the winner goes the spoils - it is a poor argument. If it was taken under force or threat then what is the difference between it and the British Raj in India (which incidentally gave home rule - puppets yes, but home rule - and independence in '47)?

Wars have been fought from time immemorial. Wars end through treaties. In treaties concessions are made to the victor. I don't see how it's a poor argument? Oh, never mind, I see now -- because you say so. Thanks, that clears everything up.

The fact is, Mexico doesn't dispute that Texas belongs to the U.S. So who are you, or your buddy Alwyn to say otherwise?

Edited by aTomsLife
  • Like 1

You going to have a go at Iran about the Persian Empire too? England hasn't been a significant power since before WW2. Oz and NZ have caused a lot of their own domestic problems, you might want to grow up and stop blaming England for every problem you can't solve.

For England read the UK. There has been more than enough PM's and Government ministers from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Queen isn't even English.

The Queen IS English. She was born in England to English parents. She does, however, have German ancestry - and French and Russian. This is because royals married royals and was true of every royal family across the globe throughout history. Such assertion could be said that no American President is American - because of ancestry - its dumb. By the way of course, how many of the founding fathers were British? How many were slaver owners/traders? The very first President was a turncoat British soldier (who incidentally was guilty of war crimes - twice: once while in command his soldiers wiped out a small French colony and in New Foundland he drowned over 70 POWs in the basement of a castle).

Ancient history is irrelevant and pointless arguing about as every nation has skeletons in their closets from darker times - it is far from a valid excuse to repeat it today! Even those nations that a but a few centuries old have some nasty history.

• Like 1

Wars have been fought from time immemorial. Wars end through treaties. In treaties concessions are made to the victor. I don't see how it's a poor argument? Oh, never mind, I see now -- because you say so. Thanks, that clears everything up.

The fact is, Mexico doesn't dispute that Texas belongs to the U.S. So who are you, or your buddy Alwyn to say otherwise?

I was not disputing Mexico - I was disputing that land ceded in war (treaties after a war are really just the victor taking their spoils in such a way as to attempt to avoid re-ignition, no?) is a step up to the moral high-ground. Land taken under threat and under duress and as part of a surrender is not a trade - it is taking the spoils.

btw: I have no idea who Alwyn is, but he made a comment that has not been debated, but turned into a bitch-slapping contest on history - of which none of us can be truly and entirely proud. The post was about America and Thailand - and his post was related in which he suggest America should not interfere as it has not a good record of doing so - if this is incorrect then debate or ignore - attacking his country is not relevant and makes him look correct (and you guys, like he hit a nerve).

• Like 1

You going to have a go at Iran about the Persian Empire too? England hasn't been a significant power since before WW2. Oz and NZ have caused a lot of their own domestic problems, you might want to grow up and stop blaming England for every problem you can't solve.

For England read the UK. There has been more than enough PM's and Government ministers from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Queen isn't even English.

The Queen IS English. She was born in England to English parents. She does, however, have German ancestry - and French and Russian. This is because royals married royals and was true of every royal family across the globe throughout history. Such assertion could be said that no American President is American - because of ancestry - its dumb. By the way of course, how many of the founding fathers were British? How many were slaver owners/traders? The very first President was a turncoat British soldier (who incidentally was guilty of war crimes - twice: once while in command his soldiers wiped out a small French colony and in New Foundland he drowned over 70 POWs in the basement of a castle).

Ancient history is irrelevant and pointless arguing about as every nation has skeletons in their closets from darker times - it is far from a valid excuse to repeat it today! Even those nations that a but a few centuries old have some nasty history.

I just love these posters that google topics and then quote what they find whilst making out that it has come from their own minds.

Unless you are a Doctorate of all aspects of world history, of course!!

It won’t be long now before the drones are flying overhead.

I spotted a few already here.

Yeah, I thought I'd read that those aerial photos of the demos were 'taken by a drone'. First they take snaps, then ...

I was not disputing Mexico - I was disputing that land ceded in war (treaties after a war are really just the victor taking their spoils in such a way as to attempt to avoid re-ignition, no?) is a step up to the moral high-ground. Land taken under threat and under duress and as part of a surrender is not a trade - it is taking the spoils.

btw: I have no idea who Alwyn is, but he made a comment that has not been debated, but turned into a bitch-slapping contest on history - of which none of us can be truly and entirely proud. The post was about America and Thailand - and his post was related in which he suggest America should not interfere as it has not a good record of doing so - if this is incorrect then debate or ignore - attacking his country is not relevant and makes him look correct (and you guys, like he hit a nerve).

Okay, good post, but your earlier post seemed to liken the spoils of war to the spoils of colonization. No problem, I see what you're saying now. We differ on some small points, but not enough I think to warrant a rebuttal on my part.

I prefer to respond to your point concerning Alwyn. Whether or not his comment has been debated -- I myself said I agreed with it -- there is such a thing as tact in this world. Alwyn, however, is tactless and deserves the backlash he's receiving. Besides, even if the U.S. has blood on its own hands, encouraging others not to shed blood surely is a good thing, regardless.

• Like 1

History is history, just that. It is past and gone forever. The USA, right now, is at a near boiling-point. The major networks do not cover it much, as they are governed by the sitting regime in the White House. However, bad things could happen in the USA in the future. The dismal failure of the Affordable Care Act (ObamaCare) is disrupting what little semblance of continuity there was. The issues of Benghazi, the IRS scandal, the AP phone-records, the NSA data-collecting and tapping foreign dignitaries, allies and citizens are all added fuel to the fire. The turmoil in Thailand is a great diversion and could be a prelude of things to come in the USA. So, I sit and chuckle when the USA tells Thailand to be calm. We have little or no business telling any foreign government how to act or deal with their issues.

I am Canadian, so I guess in a way I should be neutral in this debate. My Canadian History teaches me that our ties with Great Britain were much stronger to them then America. In fact the way Canada was formed at all was because certain people, called Loyalists, living in the USA, did not want to cut ties to the British King. So in order to maintain there connection with Britain, and to avoid conflict with the then known Rebels, at the start of the American Revolution, they had to move and started a knew country called Canada.

Now some people would and could rightfully debate that, but if there is one sure thing history teaches us, it is this. If the USA hadn't stepped in to help Great Britain when they did, and long before they got involved in a war themselves with Japan and Germany, you people on that island would be speaking German or Japanese right now, and not English. These so called Americans, who today you insult and say use invasions as what you also called, "Their National Sport", saved your ASS BIG TIME Buddy! Don't ever forget that or think any different!

Canada was in different circumstances at that time then you were. Although we were already at war, as Great Briton was then, as we were like one then. Even shared the same flag then, the Union Jack. That didn't change until the 1960's. But not much chance of us ever being invaded by anyone, like your chances were then. Without free food and supplies from America to defend yourselves, you were not that far away from being taken over.

There was an actual plan drawn up by Germany and Japan to invade the Americans after they took Great Britain. The Germans to invaded form Southern California, and the Japanese from Alaska. If the Japs thought it was cold in Mongolia, they haven't seen anything yet, by trying to cross the Yukon Rocky Mountain Pass. Not sure how many men died during the Yukon Gold Rush just crossing this. But then they did not have Bombers blowing up their food supply, and Spit Fires and Snipers shooting at them all the way up the mountain and down, with no cover. So I figure they had Zero chance of ever making it alive anyway. That is if they ever tried.

But if we were ever invaded then, and these so called Americans came up to Canada to die on our soil to save My Ass, like they did yours, I would be forever great full. Most of the Old War Hero's are gone now, but there are still many men and women who are alive in America today who lost there father in that war. Perhaps on a Supply Ship to send free food and war supplies to the British People but were hit by a German Sub instead, and only because they wanted to help you. So please think twice about the next time you want to post some smart remark about America, and Americans in general, and show a little respect to them.

Oh Ya! Just a couple of questions before I sign off. Since when were Dictators like Moammar Gadhafi, Saddam Hussein, and the Taliban, considered "Legitimate Governments"? Where have you been all these years Man? In Prison? I haven't been to Iraq but I have been to Libya and the older generation their use to call the time before Gadhafi as "The Golden Years". Now you figure that out.

Please also spend some time researching History, before you make such comments here again.

Thanks.

• Like 1

You have to be kidding me right? Someone with a flag of the less than Great Britain, lecturing another country on invasion? Jesus, how much blood historically is on your hands? Great Britain should be renamed the great enslaver due to its colonial past. When you think of all the dead and drug addicted (yes, England was no only a slaver dealer but a drug dealer as well) left behind thanks to the English thirst for world domination, it is almost unbelievable. Oh, and the last three times the US has invaded other countries it was with the support of the UK military establishment. The US in this case is just urging a friend and ally (Thailand) to remain calm. That is what friends do during times of crisis.

That's right - so all Americans should now leave the continent as they are all descendants from the British, French and Spanish invaders. Muppet! History is history - using history that is from well before any currently living person is irrelevant and certainly not an excuse for a modern country, with modern morals (supposedly) and membership of international groups, and under the influence of international law that did not exist centauries ago, to do likewise. It is also not an exciuse to say, "well others did it too" - I'm sure you learned that is no excuse at school.

England was also the first imperial power to ban slavery - quite a while before America did (and well before the removal of segregation)!

You're getting desperate to find something to brag about, and something to find to talk trash about. Where was all of that technology that you are using invented and still to this day? Who would otherwise be trolling to us in German?

Brag? Where? The bit about slavery was in response to an earlier post that brought it up - calling the Brits slavers (which is kind of rich as every nation were slavers - some just became more moral in that respect before others).

Most of the technology WE are using today comes from European inventions and discoveries - many also come from American inventions and discoveries (a lot of which by European inventors living there - including Nazi scientists after the war) - of course one invention leads to another - so is a moot point. However, just to help you out - given your earlier request also as to the computer some guy is using being there only because of American inventions, let me help you: UK: First computer - first program - first programmer - first electronic computer - first stored program - first programming language - first stored computer program - first analogue electronic computer - ARM architecture (powering your phone probably) - flip/flop circuit - digit electronics - electronic desk calculator - first electronic pocket calculator - first commercial portable computer - Boolean algebra (and hence every electronic device in existence today) - first digitally programmable computer - HTML and HTTP - packet switching (and hence all computer comms) - first modern computer (SSEM) - cathode ray tube (and hence TV screen and monitors up until plasma/lcd) - computer registers (Manchester Mk I) - first computer compiler - CPU architecture (design and blueprint for the CPU) - first successful commercially available general-purpose electronic computer - first electronically recorded digitised music - first computer with micro-code (MCU) - first multi tasking computer - first von numan computer (i.e. from which every modern computer is directly related) - first graphical computer game - first 3D computer game - first business application - first supercomputer - spooling; interrupts; pipelining; interleaved memory; virtual memory; paging (all required to make that OS you talk about) - first MP3 player - first browser (like you are using) - world wide web (Sir Timothy John "Tim" Berners-Lee) - touchpad - trackball (half British team) - first hand held computer/palm top - first rugged computer (military/field) - and so on.

Guess what, American's could make a similar list - no. being the Transistor and no.2 the IC.

As Einstein said, "We stand on the shoulders of giants" - inventions require other inventions - saying we invented that, is just really saying "we improved that earlier invention". So, get over yourself already.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

You have to be kidding me right? Someone with a flag of the less than Great Britain, lecturing another country on invasion? Jesus, how much blood historically is on your hands? Great Britain should be renamed the great enslaver due to its colonial past. When you think of all the dead and drug addicted (yes, England was no only a slaver dealer but a drug dealer as well) left behind thanks to the English thirst for world domination, it is almost unbelievable. Oh, and the last three times the US has invaded other countries it was with the support of the UK military establishment. The US in this case is just urging a friend and ally (Thailand) to remain calm. That is what friends do during times of crisis.

You obviously need reminding that the UK put an end to the slave trade, a ban that was enforced by the Royal Navy. When was slavery outlawed in the US? And when did it really end? It was the UK that led the fight against apartheid in South Africa. Compare Southern Rhodesia with present day Zimbabwe, Kenya is no better off, probably a lot worse, since they were granted independence. I venture that the Africans had more freedom than they do now.

The policy of the US has always been of expansionism. What are you doing in Alaska, Guam and many other places? According to the French you have not met your obligations under the Louisiana Purchase.

It is an interesting dichotomy that the US in the 30's and early 40's supported isolationism until fascist Japan dealt a clout round the ear. Since then the US has been sticking its oar in everywhere - and not making too many friends doing it. Like many non Americans i have reservations about US supposedly good intentions.

Truly rich, coming from a Brit. Not because of past history alone, but, because you stand with us when we do invade! Thanks for the moral support, by the way.

shame you don't styand with us when we have a conflict, I mean a real conflict that is our business, like Falklands for example

Only a Pom could give us such advice. NZ is still sorting out the mess you clowns instilled 200 years ago

Yea, you tell him stickman!

• Like 1

Only a Pom could give us such advice. NZ is still sorting out the mess you clowns instilled 200 years ago

Only a clown for NZ would make the assumption I'm from the UK. You clowns have a lot to answer for too, well according to the displaced Maoris anyway

Not too popular with some of the sheep either. laugh.png Maybe too much Welsh blood?

Whose feathers can I ruffle next? biggrin.png

• Like 1

Truly rich, coming from a Brit. Not because of past history alone, but, because you stand with us when we do invade! Thanks for the moral support, by the way.

shame you don't styand with us when we have a conflict, I mean a real conflict that is our business, like Falklands for example

Alwyn, Alwyn, Alwyn, please let things be or go read up! You've hear of HMS Fearless, presumably? Find out where she was refueled....

I won't even mention sigint concerning Goose Green. I have a feeling it might be wasted.

• Like 1

I am Canadian, so I guess in a way I should be neutral in this debate. My Canadian History teaches me that our ties with Great Britain were much stronger to them then America. In fact the way Canada was formed at all was because certain people, called Loyalists, living in the USA, did not want to cut ties to the British King. So in order to maintain there connection with Britain, and to avoid conflict with the then known Rebels, at the start of the American Revolution, they had to move and started a knew country called Canada.

Now some people would and could rightfully debate that, but if there is one sure thing history teaches us, it is this. If the USA hadn't stepped in to help Great Britain when they did, and long before they got involved in a war themselves with Japan and Germany, you people on that island would be speaking German or Japanese right now, and not English. These so called Americans, who today you insult and say use invasions as what you also called, "Their National Sport", saved your ASS BIG TIME Buddy! Don't ever forget that or think any different!

Canada was in different circumstances at that time then you were. Although we were already at war, as Great Briton was then, as we were like one then. Even shared the same flag then, the Union Jack. That didn't change until the 1960's. But not much chance of us ever being invaded by anyone, like your chances were then. Without free food and supplies from America to defend yourselves, you were not that far away from being taken over.

There was an actual plan drawn up by Germany and Japan to invade the Americans after they took Great Britain. The Germans to invaded form Southern California, and the Japanese from Alaska. If the Japs thought it was cold in Mongolia, they haven't seen anything yet, by trying to cross the Yukon Rocky Mountain Pass. Not sure how many men died during the Yukon Gold Rush just crossing this. But then they did not have Bombers blowing up their food supply, and Spit Fires and Snipers shooting at them all the way up the mountain and down, with no cover. So I figure they had Zero chance of ever making it alive anyway. That is if they ever tried.

But if we were ever invaded then, and these so called Americans came up to Canada to die on our soil to save My Ass, like they did yours, I would be forever great full. Most of the Old War Hero's are gone now, but there are still many men and women who are alive in America today who lost there father in that war. Perhaps on a Supply Ship to send free food and war supplies to the British People but were hit by a German Sub instead, and only because they wanted to help you. So please think twice about the next time you want to post some smart remark about America, and Americans in general, and show a little respect to them.

Oh Ya! Just a couple of questions before I sign off. Since when were Dictators like Moammar Gadhafi, Saddam Hussein, and the Taliban, considered "Legitimate Governments"? Where have you been all these years Man? In Prison? I haven't been to Iraq but I have been to Libya and the older generation their use to call the time before Gadhafi as "The Golden Years". Now you figure that out.

Please also spend some time researching History, before you make such comments here again.

Thanks.

I'll just answer your last question as I fell to asleep reading the novel you wrote leading up to it. First I'd like to ask you when the Talibasn wa a government legitimate or not? Secondly have you seen what you left behind in Iraq? What was a beautiful country is now decomated and in more strife than before. I'd also question WHY America invaded.. Oh that's right the WMD that were never found right?. What's Libya got to do with America anyway? If America insists on being the World's police how come it's only in rich oil countries and not Zimbabwe for example. Somebody once told me Canadians are similar to Americans but with their brains bashed out, I always thought it was the other way around but after reading your drivel I'm unsure now

Maybe a bit jealous too, since most what he uses... including the OS on the computer he is writing on... was invented by my countrymen. I've seen his type before.

Ever heard of Babbage and Lady Lovelace? What about Johnny von Neuman or Tim Berners-Lee? We've also seen your type before. Check out the word bumptious.

The US still imports talent by the thousands. Werner vonBraun, a war criminal was one - to America's shame. Europeans are drawn by the research and experimental facilities although the living conditions are obviously a factor.

Thanks.

A few history glitches there: Canada was originally French and what is now the USA was mostly British (with Spain and France is places). There were several parts of modern Canada that were British held too. Britain did a land swap with France for Calais and other British held French mainland in exchange for the rest of Canada - the French people living there were disowned by France. The British eventually ejected them, then known as the Arkadians. They settled in the USA (still British at that time) and many descendants still remain. Later, around the American revolution many disaffected British and French (they were also being pressed - again) moved back north to Canada - I guess this is the part your teachers talked about. The history of the Arkadians is fascinating - they were basically unwanted by everyone - and shoved from pillar to post - they did fare better in Canada however, as many were sent home to France from British America and were imprisoned on arrival! It is no wonder French Canadians hang on to their heritage like a vice!

USA did not come into the war "long before they got involved in a war themselves with Japan and Germany"[sic] there was no military support from the USA until after Pearl Harbour - there were even American ships sunk by German U-Boats before this, which was all but ignored.

I do agree though that Britain was in serious trouble fighting a war alone for so long (Russia was fighting too from the other side - which actually helped more than anything else - but still Britain was spread so thin and almost bankrupt. America did help before they came in, with loans and delivering supplies (paid for of course, but there was no way to get them through Europe any more). Although it took Pearl Harbour to get them militarily invested. Just as the Lusitania was the spark to join the effort in WW1. I do agree that without American support at that time the war would have eventually likely been lost - although the German's were starting to fall apart too (this may not have happened soon enough for the Brits though).

Germany would likely have moved on to America - as you say there were plans - I am not so sure Japan would have been so apt to join the foray though - their goal was really the American controlled Asian Pacific islands like the Philippines (which they already held by this point) - and China, French Indo-China and British India. There was much fear of America in the Japanese army (troop level) apparently as news of the wild west was rampant - with images of gun slingers everywhere - a nightmare to try and control (this we know from Japanese soldier diaries - and comments from a Japanese Admiral). If Germany had taken the UK, Europe would have fallen - Russia was almost totally starved out - and with the Reich turning their attentions there, it would not have lasted long (though much of it would probably be fenced out as too difficult to maintain). The Germans also were near completion on the V3 - and working hard on the A-Bomb. If they finished both (about 2 years it is believed for the A-Bomb - they had not worked out the shape charge problem as yet) - then they would have had an atomic missile (not bomb - but missile) - they could then have laid waste to America and all else. It really was in everyone's best interests that the Germans were stopped - and America had come to realise this - no nation throws its own people away without a serious buy-in.

One must remember that a lot of these bad, but democratically elected, leaders that are and have been in charge over the last half century were put there by meddling (and yes both Europe and America are guilty of this) - we also armed and trained the Taliban.

Alwyn, Alwyn, Alwyn, please let things be or go read up! You've hear of HMS Fearless, presumably? Find out where she was refueled....

I won't even mention sigint concerning Goose Green. I have a feeling it might be wasted.

You are right, but you must admit that America stayed as far away from it as possible - support was only really forthcoming because of the relationship Reagan and Thatcher had. An American warship could have been there in hours rather than weeks and put an end to the bloodshed that was going on against civilians. That could have been without even taking sides - by simply imposing rule of law (ROE) with respect to civilians.

I am Canadian,

Grin. Goldbuggy, man, you're okay even if you're from the 51st state and can't speak American!

American is not a language and is at best, a primitive form of the Queen's English gone wrong, spoken adopting funny sounds that makes them appear more stupid than they actually are!!

Actually and interestingly - American is a closer representation of old English than Queen's English is - spelling and pronunciation changed over time - but with the colonies' isolation it took less effect. The original way to spell "Colour" by the way was without the "u" - it was a French fancy that changed that. New words like Boot/Trunk, Bonnet/Hood are no more right and wrong anywhere as they were not of the standard lexicon.

Edited by wolf5370
  • Like 1

I am Canadian,

Grin. Goldbuggy, man, you're okay even if you're from the 51st state and can't speak American!

American is not a language and is at best, a primitive form of the Queen's English gone wrong, spoken adopting funny sounds that makes them appear more stupid than they actually are!!

Ha! I was wondering who'd rise to the bait! Verily, thou speakest the truth or some such warped primitive utterance!

That's what it sounds like to me!! just saying......

You are right, but you must admit that America stayed as far away from it as possible - support was only really forthcoming because of the relationship Reagan and Thatcher had. An American warship could have been there in hours rather than weeks and put an end to the bloodshed that was going on against civilians. That could have been without even taking sides - by simply imposing rule of law (ROE) with respect to civilians.

Well, of course, Wolf, a lot more could have been done. But, the U.S. had the Monroe Doctrine to fall back upon as a reason, if needed. At the end of the day, no nation goes to war if it is not to defend or extend its own national interests.

I just love these posters that google topics and then quote what they find whilst making out that it has come from their own minds.

Unless you are a Doctorate of all aspects of world history, of course!!

If that was aimed at me - then fine - but I didn't Google any of that (or Wiki). There was a lot about the royal succession when William's wife was due to drop, including ancestry. I simply listened. The stuff about Washington comes from a book I have read several times called "A 1000 Years of Annoying the French" - a very well researched history book - try it, you will be surprised. I didn't need to look it up - I remembered. The castle thing about Washington isn't in the book, I got that from another book about the Unknown American revolution - it is well known apparently - the castle is still there in ruin on a tiny island that is a nature reserve now (invited only) - a bird paradise. The rest is from general knowledge.